Bass Drum Head Design? Round two

Which design do I use on my bass drum head?

• Option 1

• Option 2

• Option 3

• Option 4

Results are only viewable after voting.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Drummer and visual art teacher here, and I have to say I like the first design best. The drumsticks are what I would tactfully call "problematic" or "mystery meat". Comparatively, your use of space, contrast, colour, straight and curved lines make the first design the most graphically appealing to me. It feels more unified and less divided in half than the others, and while not as explicit with the drumming imagery, it still feels both classy and creative. Just my two cents.

TheJay

Reaction score
To be honest, I really like the first design more too. It's been difficult because I like both designs and can see how people keep going for the drumstick design. It is discouraging when someone tells you to start again because none of the designs make sense to them.

It's challenging when people see something unintended in a design, as you have described.

The only thing that has put me off choosing the first design is the fact that people have said it isn't clear without being told that it is a combination of S & H. I'd be interested to know whether you had any further thoughts on the first design in terms of developments or whether you would use it as is?

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I voted for design #2 (as presented here) in both polls. here are my design thoughts...

The preference for #2 is because it will contrast with the drum wrap. I don't really like carrying the wrap into the drum head because it lacks contrast.
The design insertion / termination or start/stop lines look better on the vertical rather than the horizontal to my eye and evoke a bit of infinity or other symbolism... From the initial posting I did see the "Laverne DeFazio" element because it looks more L than a combo of S & H, but as long as the vertical was there I could imply different symbolism and move away from Laverne (which I can't do from the horizontal nature of your current avatar).

As far as the #'s 3 & 4 set, If you didn't mention you initials in the initial post I wouldn't have seen them in the design... more yin/yang to me. It is easier to see the 'H' but I find the 'S' a stretch. I wouldn't use drums sticks on the head... it's already going to be placed on a drum set so it seems real redundant or obvious or not necessary. And again I don't want to see the wrap in the head due to the lack of contrast.

Sometimes it can be beneficial if you put down or step away from an idea for a while to get perspective. It also can be difficult to hear criticism if we're too close to an idea... I often feel like somebody has just kicked my puppy when I've been in your place. After you come back with some settling time you may quickly move on a design preference or have a vision for something completely different. On another note, it's only a drum head design, you don't have to be married to it for the rest of your playing days and may likely have several over time (perfectionism can be a killa').

TheJay

Reaction score
Not sure, the bent drumsticks could be interpreted as phallus-like. People are very sensitive to things like that these days.
I'm no graphic designer, but I would use the design from post #9, make the lines parallel and be done.
Like this?

Last edited:

TheJay

Reaction score
I voted for design #2 (as presented here) in both polls. here are my design thoughts...

The preference for #2 is because it will contrast with the drum wrap. I don't really like carrying the wrap into the drum head because it lacks contrast.
The design insertion / termination or start/stop lines look better on the vertical rather than the horizontal to my eye and evoke a bit of infinity or other symbolism... From the initial posting I did see the "Laverne DeFazio" element because it looks more L than a combo of S & H, but as long as the vertical was there I could imply different symbolism and move away from Laverne (which I can't do from the horizontal nature of your current avatar).

As far as the #'s 3 & 4 set, If you didn't mention you initials in the initial post I wouldn't have seen them in the design... more yin/yang to me. It is easier to see the 'H' but I find the 'S' a stretch. I wouldn't use drums sticks on the head... it's already going to be placed on a drum set so it seems real redundant or obvious or not necessary. And again I don't want to see the wrap in the head due to the lack of contrast.

Sometimes it can be beneficial if you put down or step away from an idea for a while to get perspective. It also can be difficult to hear criticism if we're too close to an idea... I often feel like somebody has just kicked my puppy when I've been in your place. After you come back with some settling time you may quickly move on a design preference or have a vision for something completely different. On another note, it's only a drum head design, you don't have to be married to it for the rest of your playing days and may likely have several over time (perfectionism can be a killa').
I really appreciate feedback like this, there have been several people kind enough to spend the time writing like this and it is both helpful and supportive rather than destructive.

I had started to lean more towards a black and white version (even though I didn't want to go with white because it doesn't feature in the drums except the drum heads).

It's interesting how people are leaning towards the idea that I had originally envisioned in terms of the design in option 3 (albeit the original concept did not feature drum sticks) with the texture included. Thinking about that design, I think it has too much of the texture in it anyway.

I see what you mean about a lack of contrast so perhaps I need to go back to basic and look at my design options in black and white (or another colour?).

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well I can certainly say that design aint as easy as one might think!!!

By your last sentence it looks like you got what I mean by contrast... I wasn't talking strictly B&W, but that it will be different from the wrap.
I like the look of that blue stained wood grain for the wrap, I think it'll look pretty striking but don't care for it on the head. I think it's more of the wood grain that I would find repetitious and less the color.
I do think it's a great idea to play around with several options, design wise and certainly color wise. When I work with a design I'll bang out several without judgement until all are at some state that I can compare/contrast/critic and push to a final design choice.

TheJay

Reaction score

Colours extracted from the image

Last edited:

TheJay

Reaction score
SHD (Initials and D for Drums) A bit of fun (it's also a face)

Pibroch

Reaction score
The clear winner for me is in the previous thread - option 1. So much so that I didn’t vote for or actually like anything in this second thread.

It’s the most interesting and spectacular design and colour combination, plus it‘s the one that would blend in best with your kit.

The only thing I would be extra careful about would be that the texture of the surface of the drum shells matches that of the bass head. For example I wouldn’t like the shell finish to be glossier than the head finish.

TheJay

Reaction score
The clear winner for me is in the previous thread - option 1. So much so that I didn’t vote for or actually like anything in this second thread.

It’s the most interesting and spectacular design and colour combination, plus it‘s the one that would blend in best with your kit.

The only thing I would be extra careful about would be that the texture of the surface of the drum shells matches that of the bass head. For example I wouldn’t like the shell finish to be glossier than the head finish.
Thanks for your detailed reply. You've just made a good point, I don't think that the head print will be anywhere near as glossy as the drum wrap.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Thanks for your detailed reply. You've just made a good point, I don't think that the head print will be anywhere near as glossy as the drum wrap.
Maybe I’m dead wrong as on second thought would probably need too see the finished product on the drum set in real life in your room!

Last edited:

TheJay

Reaction score
Hehe, not very practical :D

The poll is almost a tie now.

TheJay

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for your votes. I could do with a few more to make it clearer.

TheJay

Reaction score
received_3102139623199678.jpeg

Some of you wanted to see the drums before making a decision, here they are in development.

TheJay

Reaction score
After much deliberation, this is the design I went with after speaking to Dave who has the drum shells with the wrap to compare and contrast with the designs. He's a rendering of it.
SHDP.jpg