• Option 3

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Option 4

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheJay

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm looking for your thoughts on two designs.

It's a combination of my initials S & H for my personal kit.

The texture is from the drum wrap being used, I wanted to incorporate it into the the bass drum head. I'm struggling to decide which design to go for.

Some of you have already kindly shared your thoughts, it's time for a poll.

I would like to see the numbers, please everyone join in.

Thanks.

Option 1
9Mwmj0I.png

Option 2
tg3I0hq.png

Option 3
WvSTMpO.png

Option 4
nIAQMr9.png

TheJay

Reaction score
Please remember to cast your vote above:angel1:

TheJay

Reaction score
Thanks for your votes, please keep them coming.

Dave

Reaction score
It's a combination of my initials S & H for my personal kit.

The texture is from the drum wrap being used,
Lets see a picture of the kit its going on. That might help with the decision.

TheJay

Reaction score
Hey Dave, it doesn't exist yet. It's being made by Diamond Electric Drums in June.

TheJay

Reaction score
More info:

A real acoustic kit with triggers and sound dampening, combined with 8 Roland TD-8 Pads.

Drums
Top Left/Left Middle PD-8 Pads
Top Right/Right Middle PD-8 Pads
Bottom Left/Left Middle PD-8 Pads
Bottom Right/Right Middle PD-8 Pads
Left 10×8/Right 12×9 Rack Tom
22x18 Bass Drum/16×16 Floor Tom with Legs

Cymbals
Cowbell

Drums
14×5.5 Snare

Cymbals
10 inch Splash
14 inch Hi Hat
18 inch China
18 inch Crash

20 inch Ride

This is an existing kit he has made, albeit with a different finish, cymbals (I'll have the conventional colour - not silver) and drums:

Last edited:

TheJay

Reaction score

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I voted #4. I like the symmetry of symbol better than the first and I like that it has less of the identical drum wrap in the head, making it more subtle rather than matchy-matchy and/or too repetitious.

J-dubya

Reaction score
I voted #2.

I don't care for simulated wood finishes on the drum head that match (or attempt to match) the real finish on the drums. It's obviously simulated (since it's a drum head) and, to me, that just cheapens the actual finish on the drums by leaving one to wonder if the finish on the drums themselves is also fake. So, I like that #2 has less of that simulated wood on it. Don't get me wrong, I like the tie-in, but I don't like a "wood" drum head.
I also prefer the logo in 1 & 2 over the other because I can see the "S" & "H" in it. I work in the sign industry and deal with the visual aspect of words/letters as a profession and the second logo is a script "L" on a drum head installed at the wrong angle in my eyes. It's damn near the "L" embroidered on Laverne's sweater. Sure, I can see the S & H in it since you explained that's what it's supposed to represent, but it's a bit of a stretch. A "logo" isn't effective if it needs an explanation.
I apologize if my opinion comes across as too critical. They are your drums, after all. Besides, it appears that I'm in the minority here anyway.
Either way, that kit looks like it will be tons of fun!

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
If option 1 wins you have to change your avatar! :cool:

PS: Option 3 might look better if the symbol touched the edge like options 1 & 2. Just a thought.

Last edited:

TheJay

Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback.

I voted #2.

I don't care for simulated wood finishes on the drum head that match (or attempt to match) the real finish on the drums. It's obviously simulated (since it's a drum head) and, to me, that just cheapens the actual finish on the drums by leaving one to wonder if the finish on the drums themselves is also fake. So, I like that #2 has less of that simulated wood on it. Don't get me wrong, I like the tie-in, but I don't like a "wood" drum head.
I also prefer the logo in 1 & 2 over the other because I can see the "S" & "H" in it. I work in the sign industry and deal with the visual aspect of words/letters as a profession and the second logo is a script "L" on a drum head installed at the wrong angle in my eyes. It's damn near the "L" embroidered on Laverne's sweater. Sure, I can see the S & H in it since you explained that's what it's supposed to represent, but it's a bit of a stretch. A "logo" isn't effective if it needs an explanation.
I apologize if my opinion comes across as too critical. They are your drums, after all. Besides, it appears that I'm in the minority here anyway.
Either way, that kit looks like it will be tons of fun!
The drums are being wrapped in this very finish, this texture is the very same texture being used. Does that make any difference?

I was reluctant to go with black and white as nothing else will be white on the kit except drum heads.
cRlbKEO.png

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd say option 1 or 2. You may need to brighten it up to add a bit of contrast as logo clarity is being lost on the edge where it darkens.

I will warn you now as I am apparently the first garbage minded person to post on this. Options 3 and 4 look like long double-ended sex toys. You put those on Youtube and I will be far from the last person to notice.

TheJay

Reaction score
I'd say option 1 or 2. You may need to brighten it up to add a bit of contrast as logo clarity is being lost on the edge where it darkens.

I will warn you now as I am apparently the first garbage minded person to post on this. Options 3 and 4 look like long double-ended sex toys. You put those on Youtube and I will be far from the last person to notice.
You have a point. Well, that helped to eliminate two out of four options! It's a shame because the ends are actually drum sticks.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You have a point. Well, that helped to eliminate two out of four options! It's a shame because the ends are actually drum sticks.
Just remove the drumstick tips and make it a clean end to the line... problem solved!!!

TheJay

Reaction score
Based on the poll, it doesn't look like there is any point. If suddenly the vote sways the other way, I'll do that.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I could tell what you were going for. Your other ones look exactly as intended but I think that has to do with the taper and size of it. Because of the curvy design and lack of taper on the 3 and 4 they just have a more suggestive look to them. It didn't even click for me until I noticed the sticks in 1 & 2 then looked back at them.

It's a great design concept. I personally like the idea of 3&4 better than 1&2. But the teens on yourtube would have a field day if it's not refined further.

Either way though, I do really like all your design ideas.

TheJay

Reaction score
Yeah, I could tell what you were going for. Your other ones look exactly as intended but I think that has to do with the taper and size of it. Because of the curvy design and lack of taper on the 3 and 4 they just have a more suggestive look to them. It didn't even click for me until I noticed the sticks in 1 & 2 then looked back at them.

It's a great design concept. I personally like the idea of 3&4 better than 1&2. But the teens on yourtube would have a field day if it's not refined further.

Either way though, I do really like all your design ideas.
Thanks for your nice words.

That's probably the kindest think I will ever read on the internet.

More choices based on feedback then:

PCXxpZC.png

h2IDs1C.png

DgzkRB7.png

FionJ9y.png