Bass drum head suggestion for just a little more ring...

shnootre

Reaction score
I have a Sonor SQ1 kit, 20" bass drum, un-ported, still w/ the original PowerStroke 3 head that came w/ it.
I've been thinking I'd actually like to get a little more ring/sustain from the drum. I use no muffling, and I think the power stroke still deadens it quite a bit, even though it does sound good.
I'm wondering if people have advice about a head that would not ring like crazy or require muffling, but give me a little more of a sustained boom.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Although I am a 99% Remo guy, I really do love the Aquarian super kicks on the batter.

However, I just scored a vintage KB Ludwig 20" bass and put an Aquarian modern vintage on the reso with a port hole, and I am running a clear black dot batter. I have a rolled up towel inside (I normally never muffle) and I'm getting a huge vintage tone with sustain and boom!

Either I've just been playing 16" & 18" basses too long, or this drum is just insane.

egw

Reaction score
How about cutting a bit of the muffle ring out of the PS3? Just grab a pair of scissors and cut a quarter inch or so out. If that isn't enough, take a little more bit by bit until you've got it dialed in to where you want it.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How about cutting a bit of the muffle ring out of the PS3? Just grab a pair of scissors and cut a quarter inch or so out. If that isn't enough, take a little more bit by bit until you've got it dialed in to where you want it.
Was going to suggest that. If you want more boom, which the PS3 combo should provide plenty of, you could also try just tuning up a bit first; in order for a head to vibrate, it needs a certain tension. Think bass string: a slack string doesn't produce a tone.
For maximum boom, try a set-up like what I talk about in this thread: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/bass-drum-sounds-tuning.171061/#post-1903423

shnootre

Reaction score
Interesting suggestions - thank you. To be clear, I really like the sound w the PS3, but I kind of want to experiment w a boomier sound (maybe not, like, forevers). Not sure I want to take a scissors to the muffle ring (when those heads are darned pricey). Meanwhile an Emperor batter is pretty cheap (c$20 at Sweetwater right now). I do generally tune the drum a bit on the higher side - but I will experiment there once more before re-heading. I think I just might explore a coated Emperor on the batter tho...

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
Swap the PS3 for a Remo Coated Ambassador bass drum head . This will give you more resonance . If it is too boomy you can put a felt strip on the resonant side or take a small hand towel and roll it up and place it between the bass drum pedal posts and the batter head .
It is nice to hear of another fan of letting bass drums ring bass Nat was of muffling them to the point of being a dull thump .

mebeatee

Reaction score
+1 for an ambassador or emperor....or the equivalent of another brand....
You may also experiment with different tensioning/tuning on both heads. You'll find a sweet spot...until you move the drum to a different location of course.....whahahha...
bt

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a Sonor SQ1 kit, 20" bass drum, un-ported, still w/ the original PowerStroke 3 head that came w/ it.
I've been thinking I'd actually like to get a little more ring/sustain from the drum. I use no muffling, and I think the power stroke still deadens it quite a bit, even though it does sound good.
I'm wondering if people have advice about a head that would not ring like crazy or require muffling, but give me a little more of a sustained boom.
what's on the front... one ply?

Browny

Reaction score
I'd be pretty intrigued to try a Coated Ambassador X on it. Other wise you've got the classic Coated Ambassador & Emperor as well as other variations. If you're going to a 'normal' head with no muffling then you might need to apply your own, be it a felt strip, rolled up towel at the pedal, a rolled towel inside the drum taped near the head, one of those small Velcro kick pillows, a Chaffee style external muffler, etc.

Coated Ambassador
Renaissance Ambassador
Fibreskyn Ambassador
Coated Ambassador X
Coated Emperor
Renaissance Emperor

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Reso is Remo Fiberskin - the Sonor head that comes w/ this kit, no port.
might be too thick... (/...
(that's where-the Front- you're gonna want your 'ring' to come from)
Coated A there- out front/ would be/ is// Plenty)
mhho