Bass drum head that can switch between ported and unported?

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Has any company ever come up with such a head? I am envisioning a ported head with a cover that could go over the port when an unported head is desired. If it could resonate properly this would save us from having to swap out bass drum heads for different situations.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think that's a pretty good idea.
I'm guessing though, there's probably very little sound difference between a small port and no port, so maybe a smaller port, just large enough for a mic could be an easier solution if you're having that issue.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think that's a pretty good idea.
I'm guessing though, there's probably very little sound difference between a small port and no port, so maybe a smaller port, just large enough for a mic could be an easier solution if you're having that issue.
No, the difference is pretty easy to hear and feel. Th drum plays differently and tunes differently. There's more bounce in a full head as opposed to a ported head. If you have laundry in the drum then I would agree that it really doesn't make as much of a difference, but wide open IMO is night and day.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
Adding weight, whether it be plastic, rubber or whatever.. is going to neuter your "intact" reso head. You might get the bounce back from sealing the port, but it's not going to sound like a complete, intact head. That's the reason you don't see any products out there to accomplish this. It simply doesn't work like that lol

Just do what the rest of the world does...

Keep one ported, and one unported head. I mean if it's that important to you to have both options, that's really the only way to do it right. It takes... 10 min tops to swap out a reso head?

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably a better way to approach it would be porting the shell and not the head. I think there is a Gretsch Catalina bass drum that splits in half.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Probably a better way to approach it would be porting the shell and not the head. I think there is a Gretsch Catalina bass drum that splits in half.
Well, the lugs sure do. My shells are still intact though

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gaffa tape over the hole ? Looks great too
Yeah, I've been doing that for about five years now. Three strips, takes about two minutes to apply, seconds to remove.

Yep, it looks goofy, and leaves sticky residue on head. And the tape may dry out and start rattling after a while.

But, it absolutely DOES work. Both the tone and feel are much closer to an un-ported head. Maybe not EXACTLY the same, but close enough for my purposes.

If I could just figure what kind of adhesive to use, I'd cut a small circle out of an old head; but I haven't found a suitable glue yet.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
What about those removable center dot type things? I know Aquarian makes such a thing.
I think you might be on to something with that, "port the drum" idea.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember back in the 90's that a drummer pal had a reso head that had a zipper. I cannot, for the life of me, remember the brand, but it was a cool-sounding name.

Dan

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What about those removable center dot type things? I know Aquarian makes such a thing.
I think you might be on to something with that, "port the drum" idea.
DuraDot

I think a little extra mass wouldn‘t kill the sound. Very small compared to the head as a whole. I like the unposted sound; could imagine using this if I played mic‘ed and weren‘t sure a complete head would work for the mic/PA, or just not sure the unported sound would work.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I hadn't thought about the duradot, I think that would probably work, not sure it would give the full sound of the head back but should make it feel more like a solid head. I use the Tabs for muffling and they stick well for a while, once you removed them enough times they start to loose their stickiness around the edges, so if it was something you were taking on and off a lot you would need to replace I'd guess after about 20 times. Also fairly cheap to experiment with.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an unported head that can go to a ported one... but no ported that can go to unported.

If that dura-DOT is large enough to cover the port it should be just the ticket. Or cut a circle big enough out of a new or used head and apply low to medium tac adhesive around the edges.

Latest posts