Bass drum hoops... Do they make a difference?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was also curious about this. I'm converting a FT to a bass drum and was curious about the necessity of switching out hoops and what effects it would have sonically. Personally, I don't mind if it looks like a floor tom, but I was definitely interested in knowing the sound change.
I can’t directly answer because I left my Gretsch RB FT conversion with the original DC hoops on; however my logic was that I loved its sound as a FT, ostensibly with some “focus” from the DC hoops, so I didn’t want to change that just for looks. I am curious about the sound though.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've enjoined the read on this topic and many well stated positions on both sides. I personally fall on the side of preferring the tone of wood hoops myself, but I could not argue against the metal at the same time. I always did find the real thin metal versions to have a rather hollow sound, but like others, I fail to be able to aquatically explain the reason.

Last edited:

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To the OP: How many lugs is the 8x20 BD?
Not the OP, but I have one and it's six lugs on either side.

Maybe it makes a difference on 20" and below; I don't know. I've only experience with 22" and both styles of hoops, and I can't really tell. In fact, my favorite 22" is this old Remo Acousticon shell with stencil hardware on it; it has steel hoops. I certainly appreciate the strength over wood, and the stability.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I haven’t tried switching out metal to wood, but I did swap the fiberglass hoops on my old Tempus kit out for maple hoops and it made a world of difference. The bottom end seemed become more pronounced and the tuning was far more stable since they didn’t flex and bend like the fiberglass hoops (and shells for that matter).
Same here. I had a 22x15” Tempus fg bass drum briefly. I swapped out the fg hoops for wooden ones and it made a huge difference. The basketball boing vanished, more lows and a bigger, richer sound.