Bass drum impact patch with a CS dot head?

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about trying a wood or plastic beater again. Last time I did many years ago I put one through a pinstripe at a gig. No patch. Last song luckily, I would have been completely screwed.

But now I'm running a black dot PS3. Would you still put an impact patch on a black dot if you were using a plastic beater?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I know I wouldn't, because a clear CS black dot was my go-to BD batter head for quite a while.
I never felt I needed a Falam Slam because I already had the dot, which increases the perception of the attack of the beater anyway.
Most of the time, the reason for broken heads is because they were used past their TBO.
Just pay attention to the head's condition and you should be just fine.
Wood or plastic beater with a dotted head would really produce some slam!
I don't know how much tension you put on that head, but if you're doing the typical "just-tighter-than-wrinkly", you might want to put some more tension on the head.
I found with the CS black dot, it actually liked pretty good tension.
You've got the PS3 muffling ring to control sustain and if that's not enough, you can also add a felt strip (or reasonable facsimile). Run it right down the middle, so it supports the beater when it hits and you'll really get a sound!

Elvis

Last edited:

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
But now I'm running a black dot PS3. Would you still put an impact patch on a black dot if you were using a plastic beater?
Yeah, for my rock kick batters, I do so for safety's sake and out of habit. I've been using Falam Slams on my rock kick batter heads for nearly 30 years. I don't mind the extra thickness nor the extra click from each hit. I kind of prefer hearing a slightly click-y kick drum, anyways, in case I don't have good (or any) monitors.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I might just because the bass drum black dot appears to be much harder/stiffer than the tom/snare dots. IMHO it's way too stiff (and large) and contributes to the cardboard tone I got out of this head on bass. A softer patch might tame that click down a bit.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Re: CS Black dot: Same stiffness/hardness, bass or tom.

Tornado,

Targalx brings up a good point and one I didn't consider when I posted my response to your query.
If you don't mind the clicky sound, the Falam Slam will add a layer of protection....of course, you can buy stick-on mylar dots, just like the CS head already has and that's something else you might want to think about, too (I believe they're available through Cannon percussion. Check with your local drum shop/music store).
Personally, I don't like the clicky sound. Back in my day, we would tape 50 cent pieces or silver dollar coins to the head to achieve the clicky sound.
I tried it. It didn't do anything for me and the 50 cent piece was more valuable being put towards groceries (BEER!!!!).
Whatever floats your boat. Just tried to give you an alternative to the Falam Slam.

Elvis

Last edited:

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't like the clicky sound. Back in my day, we would tape 50 cent pieces or silver dollar coins to the head to achieve the clicky sound.
Oof! Yeah, I remember the coin trick. Not a fan of that — need it to be more subtle, which is where the Falam Slam comes in. Danmar and Gibraltar make really clicky pads, very reminiscent of the coin trick.

I'm not going for the ultra clicky kicks, just something that confirms that I'm making contact with the head.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not looking for TOO clicky, but I am looking for a little which is why I'm considering the plastic or wood beater. The thing I'm trying to achieve is gaining something in those upper "clicky" frequencies so that the kick cuts through a mix better without having to make it louder. So maybe the slap from the harder beater, but not modern metal clicking. I guess I'm really wanting to know if the black dot offers a good amount of extra durability. Sounds like it probably would be fine.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I use SK1s or emad,single ply,then i get a large flam pad and cut it in quarters.
I test w the beater,then slap the pad on.
It protects the head with a slight tad of muffling.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
why not a patch? I still need them if I want any milage from the head. You can remove them if you need to for recording or stuff.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Yeah, not looking for TOO clicky, but I am looking for a little which is why I'm considering the plastic or wood beater. The thing I'm trying to achieve is gaining something in those upper "clicky" frequencies so that the kick cuts through a mix better without having to make it louder. So maybe the slap from the harder beater, but not modern metal clicking. I guess I'm really wanting to know if the black dot offers a good amount of extra durability. Sounds like it probably would be fine.
Ok, I'm going to tell you this. You're probably going to pick a different solution, but I'm going to tell you anyway, because....I have faith.
Remember I mentioned about increasing the tension on your BD head?
DO THAT.
The dot on the head will increase the perception of the attack. Using a plastic or wood beater will probably help.
Do the felt strip thing, right across the middle of the head, just like I mentioned before. If you can get one that's about 3"- 4" wide, that would be even better (if you have an old bedsheet, that would work too. It's what I did, when I did this).
Do that on both heads and pull them up tight, like how you would tune your toms (or maybe even a little tighter).
If there's anything else inside the BD, take it out.
You'll end up with a very resonant drum with almost no sustain.
I realize it's a very "non-Rock" thing to do, but it's what I did with a 22" CB-700 BD and I was able to cut through 1000 watts of PA.
Now do what you think is best for your drum. Good luck.

Elvis

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong with my felt strips across 1 ply coated heads. If I put a standard 2-3" felt anywhere across the reso head, the sound is dead. Across the batter head it's just less dead. Not much sustain. And without them, they ring like crazy. Some day I'll figure it all out. I've had the most success w/o any felts and just a small hand towel or socks stuffed between the kick pedal and bass drum lower head. Anything more than that....and dead city.

To prevent a wear-in spot (and future hole) at the BD beater impact point I will usually just cut a 1" x 1" (or slightly larger) piece out of 1 ply head - and scotch tape it to the drum head. Both protection and additional muffling. I find the sticky pads just too heavy - and I don't like the glue left behind. Anytime I want to go back to a pristine drum head, just peel off the scotch tape.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would do the same, take a small piece of mylar and tape it on to see how you like the sound. The CS dot has a more midrangey attack; you can brighten it up a bit with a hard beater, but it will never sound as bright as a thinner head. I removed a Falam slam from my first PS3 head beacuse it sounded too midrangey, so I wouldn't put anything like that on top of a CS dot, would be cardboard city.

Re: felt strip - I wouldn't put tension on it, just enough to touch the head and float off when the head vibrates. Off-center, as with the pre-configured felt heads. Lots of bottom end, maybe a bit shorter, with just a bit of the overring removed. Btw, you can tape on a felt strip on the outside of the batter head (vertically, with just two strips top and bottom), to be able to remove it on the spot. I actually did this with a CS dot (not PS3) I used for a while on a 22". No tension on the strip obviously, and it could move in the center.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Waaaay back in the 80’s I actually put the stick-on black dots on my Evans hydraulic Tom heads! Thought they looked cool. :)