Bass Drum Mic -- again

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me the good ol Sennheiser 602 works best.

As natural as can be.

View attachment 468446
I'm a big fan of the 602, but it's a very colored mic. If your drum sounds similar to it acoustically, it would sound like a very authentic representation of the "natural" sound (which it very well might -- a DW with a foam pad is going to be very close to the "ideal" modern kick sound, which is what the EQ curve on mics like the 602 / D6 is going for). But on a more full-range sound (think ambassadors with just a felt strip), the 602 will impart a _lot_ of color.

Here's the response for the 602:
e602-II.jpg

For the D6: (notice the same kind of exagerrated "Smile" EQ that the 602 has)
AudixD6.jpg

For comparison, here are two more neutral flat mics:
The EV RE20:
RE20.jpg

The AT ATM250:
ATM250.jpg

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although my kick (and more variables) are much different from what one would call “usual”, “that dw sound”, or “modern” I can see what you mean though.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm using a D6 pointing straight at the middle of a 24" unported bass drum head and it has a nice smooth "boom" sound. No "clicky" attack. Not a "modern" sound by any means, but not entirely "vintage" either. Its just a clean representation of the drum. I would be willing to bet that I could make a greater change in the sound of the drum by changing the heads and the tuning then by buying a different microphone for it.

drums1225

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Beta 91a, and I have two. If you're looking for a "live", "wet" sound, it kills, but not sure it would be right for a vintage sound.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lots of great info and insights. Thank you guys, always enlightening.

Browny

Reaction score
I bought an e602 because down here they're half the price of similar bass drum mics (B52, D6, D112, etc.)...

phdamage

Reaction score
if it's click you're after, a beta 91 or Beyer D71C would be it. both are condensers and require phantom power, and will give you more snare bleed than dynamic mic options, typically. beta 52, D6, D112, and anything similar should be perfectly serviceable for a live gig and more what you're after if you want something a little more rounded with thump.

Reaction score
Hi, just chiming in after seeing you discussing Kicker, I work there, ask me any questions you might have, or check it out at kickerus dot com. It does have an optional mic stand, as well as a mic nest that fits a Shure b9, both can be secured with velcro. Kicker is a head to head mufler, locks in place and does the trick well, tight, punch attack and low tone, if that's what you are seeking.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Heil PR48
Tune the bass to your ears, bring the volume up on the board, you’re done.
I’ve had people running a board waiting to do something to it, but just move on.

Phil
It's rare that i actually see a suggestion for HEIL mics on a drum forum. I used a HEIL The Fin for the last 4 or 5 years I DJ'd. THE BEST mic I ever used. Great great quality. I always want to suggest them on forums, but I honestly don't have any experience with the PR48. It is lightweight at 1.4lbs. . .but how does that compare to others. . . I'm tempted at buying a set for my drums.

Whitten

Reaction score
There are numerous mics that work great. I have traveled internationally to gigs a huge amount over the last 6 years and it's true the most common bd mics are the Audio D6 and the Shure Beta 52. Stuff gets trashed, sometimes stolen, so I would personally advise the most common, affordable bass drum mic you can get away with.
421 was definitely flavour of the decade in the 80's. Common bass drum mics already in use were the D12 and RE20, so it wasn't that there were no good alternatives.
Most of the cheaper, newer bass drum mics are 'pre eq'ed' like the SE, the Telefunken and the D6 Beta 52.
I would personally never use a pre-positioned mic. You hear massive differences in bass drum sounds from moving a bass drum mic just a few inches, never mind in or out of the shell. You need to work on a bass drum sound depending on the sound of the venue, so I advise absolute flexibility versus those set and forget bass drum mic solutions.

phdamage

Reaction score
It's rare that i actually see a suggestion for HEIL mics on a drum forum. I used a HEIL The Fin for the last 4 or 5 years I DJ'd. THE BEST mic I ever used. Great great quality. I always want to suggest them on forums, but I honestly don't have any experience with the PR48. It is lightweight at 1.4lbs. . .but how does that compare to others. . . I'm tempted at buying a set for my drums.
Unfamiliar with the PR48, but the PR40 is an awesome mic for kick! I def want one in my mic locker again