Bass Drum Mic Mount

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Besides the Dunnett, what are other clip systems that will hold a BD mic? Running a Shure Beta 52A.

Running into some tight spots where I'd prefer not to have a mic stand in front of the kick.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I’ve been using the Kelly Shu system with great results. It’s especially great if you have a solid front head on the kick drum.

For the mic cable, I simply drilled a small hole in the bottom corner of the front drum head that is the exact size of the xlr jack, rather than drill the shell or purchase an extra cabling kit for the air vent. A short mic cable is permanently plugged into the mic and is fed through the hole, where a longer mic cable attaches to it to go to the snake. Works really well and really isolates the kick drum mic.

Hope this helps!

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the Kelly SHU system. I have it in four of my bass drums, each with its own Shure Beta 52 permanently mounted inside. I don't port the front head, so I use their non-drill connection kit that allows you snake the cable through the air vent. Simple and sounds incredible! I can't say enough about how great this product is and Jeff Kelly and his wife Kathleen offer unparralled customer service and technical support. These are the four kits I've installed it in.

149AFA05-C189-49E4-BE4A-EB764E3331B4_1_201_a.jpeg

B02DE2E8-28CC-4ACA-A920-973B489CFF8F_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
if the OP was asking about external ones, that is, basically mic stands that clamp/attach onto the BD shell to mic the outside of the drum, PDP has one as well I think, and you could probably rig one up pretty easily with a cowbell arm and a multiclamp.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
if the OP was asking about external ones, that is, basically mic stands that clamp/attach onto the BD shell to mic the outside of the drum, PDP has one as well I think, and you could probably rig one up pretty easily with a cowbell arm and a multiclamp.
I was asking about external, though I am intrigued with the internal options.

Last edited:

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
What does this slide under?
It mounts to the lug screws.

I have a homemade version of the Kelly Shu in 3 of my 4 bass drums, and the 4th uses a mount similar to the Gibraltar above because it's a 16 and the Shu wouldn't fit. With the Kelly Shu mounts I drilled and installed an XLR jack on two of the drums, and with the other two drums I just fed the mic cable through the air vent. That took a little bit of soldering, but that's pretty easy.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use these. Work great View attachment 424711
I have that one as well, but am wondering if the non-isolated mount actually transfers too much mechanical noise to the mic, from the pedal/shell.
On the other hand, I like the off-center position, seems to be what Simon Phillips prefers as well.
Re: Kelly Shu - the mic position seems like it has to be rather centered, although the distance from the head can be varied.
Generally speaking, has anyone varied the internal position of a mic from centered to edge? Thought son sound difference? Just thinking I might try mounting a mic to a tom arm on a drilled bd I have mna djust try it myself.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I follow the Simon Phillips off center position as well. While I mostly use May Internal Mics, it can be done with the Kelly Shu system as well... you just have to cut and shorten the rubber tubes supplied so that it sits off center. I have them in my Keith Moon Pictures of Lily kit.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I have that one as well, but am wondering if the non-isolated mount actually transfers too much mechanical noise to the mic, from the pedal/shell.
On the other hand, I like the off-center position, seems to be what Simon Phillips prefers as well.
Re: Kelly Shu - the mic position seems like it has to be rather centered, although the distance from the head can be varied.
Generally speaking, has anyone varied the internal position of a mic from centered to edge? Thought son sound difference? Just thinking I might try mounting a mic to a tom arm on a drilled bd I have mna djust try it myself.
I’m no sound engineer but my ears couldn’t tell you.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have SHUs mounted in 18" & 22" Rogers Memrioc basses off center around the center tom mount pipe. The SHU offers a clip wire connection for the wire to snake thru the vent hole with no soldering.

Not home, so no pictures.

Ghostin one

Reaction score
"...has anyone varied the internal position of a mic from centered to edge?"

I have, but simply moving where the mic is pointed had a bigger effect to me. This would probably vary dramatically with different mics.

K&M have some hoop-mounted mic holders, but I haven't used them.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a home-made version of the Kelly SHU mount. It holds my Audix D6 in perfect position with zero mechanical noise in the signal. I never remove it from the drum. Get to the gig, plug in the cable, and I'm good to go.

You should seriously consider the internal mount option. I think it's a far superior way to go, and much easier set up/tear down and nothing for the singer to trip over.

GeeDeeEmm

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a home-made version of the Kelly SHU mount. It holds my Audix D6 in perfect position with zero mechanical noise in the signal. I never remove it from the drum. Get to the gig, plug in the cable, and I'm good to go.

You should seriously consider the internal mount option. I think it's a far superior way to go, and much easier set up/tear down and nothing for the singer to trip over.

GeeDeeEmm
Do you happen to have a picture of your creation?

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It mounts to the lug screws.

I have a homemade version of the Kelly Shu in 3 of my 4 bass drums, and the 4th uses a mount similar to the Gibraltar above because it's a 16 and the Shu wouldn't fit. With the Kelly Shu mounts I drilled and installed an XLR jack on two of the drums, and with the other two drums I just fed the mic cable through the air vent. That took a little bit of soldering, but that's pretty easy.
Any pics of what you made?