Bass Drum Mic Mount

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to have a picture of your creation?
Somewhere. I'll have to dig thru my photos and see if I can find it.

It's not actually my invention. Years ago I ran across a guy who had manufactured a bunch of them and offered me his remaining stock for a good deal. I think he had ten or twelve of them and I bought them all. My intention was to install them in my floor toms, too, but there's just not enough room inside for them. I've given most of them away to people here and there so that I'm down to three at last count.

Edit: Found the pics. The mount was made from thick plexi with rubber washers to isolate the mic mount screw. The bungees are simple, off the shelf cord with the appropriate loops on one end (for fixing under the lug screws) and tension adjusters on the other ends.

Mine has been in my drum for over ten years without a hitch.

GeeDeeEmm
Drum Isolation Mounts For Sale 009.JPG
Drum Isolation Mounts For Sale 002.JPG
Drum Isolation Mounts For Sale 001.JPG

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Somewhere. I'll have to dig thru my photos and see if I can find it.

It's not actually my invention. Years ago I ran across a guy who had manufactured a bunch of them and offered me his remaining stock for a good deal. I think he had ten or twelve of them and I bought them all. My intention was to install them in my floor toms, too, but there's just not enough room inside for them. I've given most of them away to people here and there so that I'm down to three at last count.

I'll see if I can find my pics.

GeeDeeEmm
No big deal if you can't find pics. I'm always interested in the ingenuity of others.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've gone through several different brands of microphone stands / apparati for my bass drums over the years. I've owned and used May, Shu, and clip mounts that clamp to the bass drum hoop. I found that every one of them muffled the tone at least a little. I know many of you will argue with me on that point, but that's what I found. I just don't like how they affected the tone - even though I had muffling inside the bass drum already. So, I settled on a heavy-duty low-boy mic stand for a bass drum mic. I noticed, after attending several concerts - big-time acts, mind you, not bar bands - that they all had heavy-duty mic stands for the bass drum mics. I talked to one of the sound guys at a show (I think it was The Raconteurs), and he said that they found that the old-fashioned way sounded best, so apparently, I was on to something. He also told me that Shu / May systems were mostly used by drummers who had absolutely no room in front of the bass drum, and that he had never seen one in a studio (I'm assuming a real studio, not a home studio).

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I once used a goose neck mounted with a DW bass drum hoop accessory clamp and the bleed through from the drum made it unusual. I would love to try the Gibraltar version, but I'm hoping someone else will first and report on it.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
After going with internal last year I'll never go back to external bass mics. I've got the Gibraltar in one bass drum and a Kelly Shu in another. They're both excellent but I like the Kelly a little better. I think there's just a teeny tiny bit of shell vibration transferring through the Gibraltar, but it's not noticeable playing live.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Any pics of what you made?
Yeah, here's one in my '70 Rogers. Nothing permanent done to this. It's just 2 T brackets bolted together with a mic clip like this. Ran the XLR through the air vent.
IMG_20190104_140401.jpg

Here's the one in my Gretsch Cat Clubs. These I drilled and installed an XLR panel mount jack because I already drilled for the rail mount and cut the bass drum depth down. They're my workhorse kit, so I figured why not. This one was the first one I made, so I did the same 2 T brackets, but used a different mic clip I pulled from some other mount that had broken. The XLR panel mount also has a rubber cap to keep dust out and doubles to protect the finish when I lower the rail mount.

IMAG1548-1.jpg 20151129_144755.jpg

The last is just a simple L bracket in my Breakbeats kit with a mic mount like in the Gretsch. I ran it through the air vent too, but will eventually put a panel mount in it.

20150822_173244.jpg

The Gretsch and the Rogers (top two) are pretty much the same, just the T-bracket is vertical in the Gretsch and horizontal in the Rogers. I think I did that due to their size difference. The Gretsch is a 24 and the Rogers is 20.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, here's one in my '70 Rogers. Nothing permanent done to this. It's just 2 T brackets bolted together with a mic clip like this. Ran the XLR through the air vent.
View attachment 424920

Here's the one in my Gretsch Cat Clubs. These I drilled and installed an XLR panel mount jack because I already drilled for the rail mount and cut the bass drum depth down. They're my workhorse kit, so I figured why not. This one was the first one I made, so I did the same 2 T brackets, but used a different mic clip I pulled from some other mount that had broken. The XLR panel mount also has a rubber cap to keep dust out and doubles to protect the finish when I lower the rail mount.

View attachment 424919 View attachment 424918

The last is just a simple L bracket in my Breakbeats kit with a mic mount like in the Gretsch. I ran it through the air vent too, but will eventually put a panel mount in it.

View attachment 424917

The Gretsch and the Rogers (top two) are pretty much the same, just the T-bracket is vertical in the Gretsch and horizontal in the Rogers. I think I did that due to their size difference. The Gretsch is a 24 and the Rogers is 20.
Nice work and thanks for the pics! Seems fairly simple.

tris66

Reaction score
I've done this. Works. But I usually am playing on a kit with the much maligned steel hoops. Adjustments might need to be made for wood hoops. That is an LP Claw if you couldn't tell. Just throwing it out there to spark ideas... might not work for you. Those Beta 52's are not exactly light.

Attachments

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've done this. Works. But I usually am playing on a kit with the much maligned steel hoops. Adjustments might need to be made for wood hoops. That is an LP Claw if you couldn't tell. Just throwing it out there to spark ideas... might not work for you. Those Beta 52's are not exactly light.
Good idea letting it hang down from the top, that way it won't change position as easily.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've played clubs where they've used these clamps, worked well.

Thanks.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have SHUs mounted in 18" & 22" Rogers Memrioc basses off center around the center tom mount pipe. The SHU offers a clip wire connection for the wire to snake thru the vent hole with no soldering.

Not home, so no pictures.
This is interesting. I have Roger's sets and would like to see your setup if you don't mind taking pictures?

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is what I rigged up for the bop kit, but I have rims on the 16x12. It's parts from 2 Gibraltor clip on thingies, one for cymbals and the other for mics. I needed the clip part with 2 adjustable angles. It'd be pretty easy to do the sme but with a clip that would hold on BD hoops.
84738610_10219583010278081_8966193595648311296_o.jpg

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I have that one as well, but am wondering if the non-isolated mount actually transfers too much mechanical noise to the mic, from the pedal/shell.
I have an L-bracket from Lowes that I attached a mic clip to that's in my Breakbeats that's similar to the Gibraltar mount. It does pick up sympathetic resonance from the rack tom, though it's really only noticeable during sound check. I don't really hear it when the full band is playing.

Latest posts