Bass drum mount ride stands

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
While they’re being discussed, does anybody know of a company making a cymbal L arm shorter than the short pearl one? Its about 12” from bracket to cymbal washer. Ideally I’d like to be around 9”. Also needs to be fairly sturdy for a 24” ride
I think the Gibraltar arm is shorter, I’ll check and report back. One thing you can do though is just shorten yours to taste - There’s usually a roll pin in the base where the tube ends that you can pop out, then use a tube cutter or hacksaw or Dremel, etc. to shorten the tube. Pop it back in, insert roll pin, and voila. You may need a replacement roll pin of the same size, but that’s cheap and easy enough to get.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
While they’re being discussed, does anybody know of a company making a cymbal L arm shorter than the short pearl one? Its about 12” from bracket to cymbal washer. Ideally I’d like to be around 9”. Also needs to be fairly sturdy for a 24” ride
I'm not sure that I would trust a 24" pie on a BD arm. I mean, I don't think it would break, but I notice a difference in rockin and rollin and movement when I went from a 20 to a 22". And it really gets moving when you play on the bell.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I would trust a 24" pie on a BD arm. I mean, I don't think it would break, but I notice a difference in rockin and rollin and movement when I went from a 20 to a 22". And it really gets moving when you play on the bell.
It works fine. I ran a 200? 24” a medium, which is a damn heavy cymbal, for years on an old ludwig arm on top of my 26” bass, with a modern hinged gibraltar tom clamp but even the 60’s ludwig clamp on my 22” deals with it pretty well as long as you’re careful to get it perfectly level. Found a significantly lighter 70’s 24” a now, and with the short pearl arm it has a lot less leverage. I don’t tend to crash on either 24” ride much but I did beat the hell oit of the bell with the butt end of 2b’s regularly. L arms are more stable than they look

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Im with you on this, also don’t think it’ll break, but that’s a lotta movement for a giant metal pie on a skinny metal pipe attached to a thin piece of wood. Freaks me out.

This is what I think of when I pick a (small, thin) ride for a bass drum mounted arm:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Im with you on this, also don’t think it’ll break, but that’s a lotta movement for a giant metal pie on a skinny metal pipe attached to a thin piece of wood. Freaks me out.

This is what I think of when I pick a (small, thin) ride for a bass drum mounted arm:
A big 24” doesn’t move as much as much as a lighter cymbal. As far as weight on the shell its still a lot less than a double tom mount. I would be a little concerned on an old MIJ luan shell, but 9 ply maple will be fine

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A big 24” doesn’t move as much as much as a lighter cymbal. As far as weight on the shell its still a lot less than a double tom mount. I would be a little concerned on an old MIJ luan shell, but 9 ply maple will be fine
It's funny you mention MIJ kits, because I have one with a thin Tama straight arm on it and I wouldn't think of putting anything bigger than a 20" pie on that. The straight arms go straight into the drum through a mount and are not as stable as the L arms, and the skinny diameter of the arm along with the thin luan shell make me a bit leary of putting anything to heavy on it.
IMG_20200821_135710122.jpg

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's funny you mention MIJ kits, because I have one with a thin Tama straight arm on it and I wouldn't think of putting anything bigger than a 20" pie on that. The straight arms go straight into the drum through a mount and are not as stable as the L arms, and the skinny diameter of the arm along with the thin luan shell make me a bit leary of putting anything to heavy on it. View attachment 505916
I have an even skinnier version of that style, with no tilter, that came off an old royce set. I’m going to use it to fill a mangled badge hole on an old ludwig bass drum I found, but I would relegate it to splash duty there

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
My rides are all 22s & unless I’m running 3 rack toms, I’ll mount on a boom stuffed in the bd tom receiver.

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
I'm using the one that came on the Sonor AQX Jazz I just got. The first thing I noticed was my ride sounded like it had a big strip of duct tape on the bottom. That boom arm has a hard rubber combination washer and sleeve and the felts are really dense.

I've never liked a solid type washer under my cymbals as I feel like it impeeds movement, I like them to swing very freely. I replaced the whole arm with the one from the Gibraltar flat base stand it replaced as I like the tilter on it better anyway.

rstange1

Reaction score
DW makes L-arms in two lengths. The shorter one is the DWSM770S and the standard length is the DWSM770. These are heavy-duty.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The DW L-arm mentioned in the post above turned out to be aesthetically heavier than I wanted and I went for a Gibraltar arm mounted with an INDe BR3 bracket (no extra holes in the bass drum).
View attachment 506176 View attachment 506177 View attachment 506178
If you want an even more aesthetically minimalist arm, the classic ludwig ones look tiny and should still get you the height you need. As for my issue with the ride being too high on a big bass drum, some of the suggestions above made me take a closer look at the pearl and I first realized that cutting the L arm itself would allow the cymbal arm to sit lower, and then that just reversing the arm “ backwards” brought it down to the perfect level. I will probably end up cutting it though since it looks a little funny with the long part in the bracket. I would guess 90% of the L arm cymbal mounts being sold are getting used on 18-20” bass drums so the manufacturers seem to keep them long. On a 26”, the added height is unnecessary

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay so this has me thinking now, thanks! I dont want to drill, and I kinda like the Inde option. Any other comments on hoop mounted stands?

Found this Pearl for a decent price:

I have one. I’ve been using the short arm that comes with it to hold a ride and using the pearl clamp to hold an older L arm for a splash. Its a great, well designed clamp, but I would be hesitant to mount that much weight straight to a hoop to use it for a full size ride cymbal. The inde or ludwig options that replace a lug are probably better for full size cymbals
60AF0C6C-3CE7-4C9E-82F1-0A46578106A8.jpeg
60AF0C6C-3CE7-4C9E-82F1-0A46578106A8.jpeg