Bass drum pedals (Starting over from scratch)

Rab35

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to overhaul everything and start from scratch. I currently play Tama Starclassic maple (1999), Aquarian heads, Zildjian cymbals, Vater sticks, and Iron Cobra pedals. Cymbal stands vary from Pearl and Tama. Tom stands are Tama.

I'm simply looking to play & use the best stuff out there. I know that's subjective to each person. However, I am interested in the best sound and the best quality, without brand hype or popularity.

For this thread, let's talk about bass drum pedals. What's the best/your favorite and why? I'll probably get a double pedal, not 2 single pedals.

Thanks!

Fill Drummin

Reaction score
I started on the old speed king and played on most everything as it was released. My all time favorite by far is the 9000 series from DW.

I’ve never played on anything better.

Smooth action and unbelievable response. I’ll never play anything else.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The new Tama Dyna Sync pedals are fast becoming a favorite of mine over my Speed Cobras. Great action, smooth as anything, instant response and the adjustability options are just right. One knock against direct drive pedals that I have heard in my shop in the past has been the lack of power. No such thing with this one. I would give her a shot.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking that it's really subjective. I would think if you got top-tier equipment from any major manufacturer, be it drums or hardware, they're going to work well and last for a long time; probably even the rest of your life, if you maintain them well.

Given the differences in design features the only real way to know is by actually trying them. Music/drum shops are good for that. With something like a pedal, it's all about what feels best to you, which might be next to impossible for a lot of people to put into words anyways.

egw

Reaction score
The "best" pedal I ever tried was the Sonor Jojo Mayer pedal. Though, I ended up selling it after a few months because the smooth footboard required me to wear special shoes in order to not have my foot sliding all over the place. Just one more thing I didn't want to have to think about before the gig.

I went back to my DWs and Camcos, and think they're sufficient for what I do. But if Sonor would just put some texture on that footboard, they might have THE perfect pedal.

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The "best" pedal I ever tried was the Sonor Jojo Mayer pedal. Though, I ended up selling it after a few months because the smooth footboard required me to wear special shoes in order to not have my foot sliding all over the place. Just one more thing I didn't want to have to think about before the gig.

I went back to my DWs and Camcos, and think they're sufficient for what I do. But if Sonor would just put some texture on that footboard, they might have THE perfect pedal.
There are ways to get texture on that pedal ....

dsop

Reaction score
let's talk about bass drum pedals. What's the best/your favorite and why?
Everyone's experience and preferences don't matter. What matters is how you feel playing it. For that, there is no substitute for first hand experience. At a certain price point, the quality and reliability of any brand are very good. You may want to check out Jojo Mayer's DVD about pedals, particularly the history chapter.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For top quality, Trick gets my vote. I've used the Pro1V longboards for about 10 years and they are still flawless. For the people who hate direct drive, they offer a chain drive attachment. :compress:

dsop

Reaction score
But if Sonor would just put some texture on that footboard, they might have THE perfect pedal.
The whole point of that pedal is the ability to slide the foot. Jojo even recommends gluing leather soles onto Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers to facilitate better sliding.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The new Tama Dyna Sync pedals are fast becoming a favorite of mine over my Speed Cobras. Great action, smooth as anything, instant response and the adjustability options are just right. One knock against direct drive pedals that I have heard in my shop in the past has been the lack of power. No such thing with this one. I would give her a shot.
Agree 100%. If you can handle the (admittedly) high price tag, the Dyna-Sync is well worth it. Power to spare, and silky smooth.

egw

Reaction score
The whole point of that pedal is the ability to slide the foot. Jojo even recommends gluing leather soles onto Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers to facilitate better sliding.
Oh, I don't doubt that. But I'd prefer a pedal that I can play with whatever shoes I happen to have on. I'm not really interested in wearing special shoes to match the pedal. And certainly don't want to have to modify my shoes either. Haha

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What the man said!

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drive for about 15 years now , but every once in a while a WFL SpeedKing with the wood beater .

I've been toying with the idea of cobbling the Yamaha axle assembly onto the compression spring struts of the SK .

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DW 5000s are tanks and have spare parts and customizations galore. Tech and quality has improved over the initial 60 year old design.

ADAMS

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to overhaul everything and start from scratch. I currently play Tama Starclassic maple (1999), Aquarian heads, Zildjian cymbals, Vater sticks, and Iron Cobra pedals. Cymbal stands vary from Pearl and Tama. Tom stands are Tama.

I'm simply looking to play & use the best stuff out there. I know that's subjective to each person. However, I am interested in the best sound and the best quality, without brand hype or popularity.

For this thread, let's talk about bass drum pedals. What's the best/your favorite and why? I'll probably get a double pedal, not 2 single pedals.

Thanks!
I use a Sonor Giant Step Strap Drive double pedal, i like the strap drive for the feel, but if you want speed, the Axis Direct Drive and the Trick double pedals are about the fastest on the market today, Pearl also has the Demon Drive, and DW has the 5000 & 9000 series, can't go wrong with any of those setups, but if you want a pedal that has great feel and speed combined, try the Yamaha Flying Dragons. they won't destroy your wallet but will give you quality, speed and feel.
Last time i checked a Yamaha Flying Dragon Double Direct Drive is around $500 Canadian plus Tax, don't let the lower price fool ya, they are a great pedal, and they are made by Yamaha.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I play and gig regularly a WFL Speed King, has been modded and rebuilt yeah no more squeaks or squeals lol. It’s 60 + yrs on the job I’d say it’s proven track record stands alone. I’ve had many others along the way, the top tier stuff while all great pedals the SK is the easiest on my vintage knee, I can set tension on the loose side and still get great effortless action no problem sliding doubles , triples. At this point in the game I’m not out to set any blast beat records that’s for sure. I believe there are better newer sophisticated pedals for that style. It’s all about finding the right fit and feel for your style of playing , everyone has their favorite.

Latest posts