Bass drum pedals (Starting over from scratch)

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
The new Tama Dyna Sync pedals are fast becoming a favorite of mine over my Speed Cobras. Great action, smooth as anything, instant response and the adjustability options are just right. One knock against direct drive pedals that I have heard in my shop in the past has been the lack of power. No such thing with this one. I would give her a shot.
Ditto, ditto, ditto!

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
I quit drumming cold turkey around 1968. I did not want to become another statistic.

Did not get drums again until I was 50 in 2009. Long story short, my family surpised me with a b'day gift.

Then I began exploring the new ways drums were being built, etc. Not everything I liked.. One thing stood out as a very excellent upgrade. The DW pedals. No doubt, they are very well made. I felt right at home playing with it. Way back when I used to play with a Ludwig speed king. The DW just felt so much better in feel... I played others while shopping around. They were good. But the DW has a solidness to it that makes me not want to look elsewhere. I got the DW 5000. But, you have to make up your own mind. Because there is no one best. You simply must find out what's best for you. It may be far from the most expensive.

Drm1979

Reaction score
Dw for me. It's the 3000 single pedal. I've had it for about 20 years and it still plays like its brand new.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I quit drumming cold turkey around 1968. I did not want to become another statistic.

Did not get drums again until I was 50 in 2009. Long story short, my family surpised me with a b'day gift.

Then I began exploring the new ways drums were being built, etc. Not everything I liked.. One thing stood out as a very excellent upgrade. The DW pedals. No doubt, they are very well made. I felt right at home playing with it. Way back when I used to play with a Ludwig speed king. The DW just felt so much better in feel... I played others while shopping around. They were good. But the DW has a solidness to it that makes me not want to look elsewhere. I got the DW 5000. But, you have to make up your own mind. Because there is no one best. You simply must find out what's best for you. It may be far from the most expensive.
i love the DW5000, even though i dont play it anymore. i use the lightest, least expensive($35), simplist tama and yamaha pedals for gigs for years. but if i had to pick one for louder playing, it would be DW5000.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
get yourself one like this , then throw all the rest in the garbage .....
Great condition Olympic 1284 pedal you have there. But I rather doubt it would stand up to the rigors of 3 one-hour sets, 3-5 nights a week for very long.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As many have said, and I agree, I don't think there is anything that could be called "the best".
I used the DW 5000 for decades, and really liked it, or maybe got used to it.
I figured it was time to get a new pedal a few months ago. I have a few, but never used them. Anyway, I picked up the Tama 900 a couple months ago.
Out of the box, it was set to a medium tension, something I never paid attention to with my DW.
I really liked the fast doubles, and all the bells, and whistles at first.
After a couple weeks of trying to get used to it, I realized I couldn't play straight 8ths, or 16ths w/out losing control.
I got freaked out. My playing suffered badly. I couldn't relax, or lay down simple grooves.
I decided to go back to the DW's, but I was having the same issues.
Anyway, turns out I had been using next to no spring tension all these years.
I threw on some old Camco chain driven pedals, and I seriously doubt I'll ever use another pedal again.
For me, nothing beats those old Camco's. The only change I made, was putting on a heavier beater.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by that Jo Jo Mayer pedal. I play a DW and like it fine, but have never been able to get fast doubles like I could on a Speed King.
Looks like they don't make a double Jo Jo though.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by that Jo Jo Mayer pedal. I play a DW and like it fine, but have never been able to get fast doubles like I could on a Speed King.
Looks like they don't make a double Jo Jo though.
Same here.
Jojo's pedal is pricey, and I've been very happy with the Camco. I decided not to go out of my way to look

Tanabata

Reaction score
There are several newer pedals (Tama, Yamaha) that I haven't tried, and they look great, I'd be curious about them if I was shopping. I have also heard great things about the new Rogers pedal, though have not tried it myself.

I play mostly with my heel down, which might matter.

A couple of years ago, I bought a DW9000 double pedal. I'm still playing it, though mostly as a single.

I have some other pedals around that I'd rather be using: DW5000's, ASBA Caroline, Speed King, Tama/Camco, Gretsch Floating Action, several generations of Yamaha pedals since 1984...

I keep going back to the DW9000. I feel like I have the best control on that one, and also, no squeaks or rattles, no issues, doesn't distract me at all. I wish there was a pedal like the DW9000 with the tiny footprint of a vintage pedal.

Anyway, good luck finding a pedal!

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the Pearl Eliminators and before them I played DW 5000s for years and loved them. The DW9000 is amazing as well. For now, the Eliminators are fine, especially considering the cost of an upgrade. My only knock is that I really don't need a reversible traction plate with four screws that need to be tightened up from time to time.

If/when I do get a new pedal, I'll probably get one that's been out on the market for a while, several months at least. There can be a minor flaw in the initial release and it can take a little time to work the bugs out.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the Pearl Eliminators and before them I played DW 5000s for years and loved them. The DW9000 is amazing as well. For now, the Eliminators are fine, especially considering the cost of an upgrade. My only knock is that I really don't need a reversible traction plate with four screws that need to be tightened up from time to time.

If/when I do get a new pedal, I'll probably get one that's been out on the market for a while, several months at least. There can be a minor flaw in the initial release and it can take a little time to work the bugs out.
I played on the 9000 for hours. I kept hearing how incredible they were. For me, I couldn't get them to feel right, no matter what adjustments I made, and there are lots of options.
I was still going to buy em, but I figured I'd watch some video on em.
From people who use them, most seem to love em, but most said the same thing. Supposedly various parts can break, and repairing them could be very expensive, so I passed, and got the Cobra 900. That was $ I could have gotten a mic, with. They are incredibly fast, well made, well thought out...I just can't control em
I tried every pedal GC had, and I couldn't find anything that had the control, or feel of the Camco's. They were the last pedals I tried, and almost didn't even bother.
Imo, companies are trying too hard to get faster, and smoother pedals.

J

jaymandude

I'm pretty much a DW guy, I know what I'm dealing with, I know how to adjust it, how to play it. Most of the versions seem fine, and by that I mean anything without a double chain.

But if I were to start over, for real ? Tama HP50, the new cheap one. I know it's only $100, but I have 6 DW pedals, so it really does seem unnecessary to get another

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to overhaul everything and start from scratch. I currently play Tama Starclassic maple (1999), Aquarian heads, Zildjian cymbals, Vater sticks, and Iron Cobra pedals. Cymbal stands vary from Pearl and Tama. Tom stands are Tama.

I'm simply looking to play & use the best stuff out there. I know that's subjective to each person. However, I am interested in the best sound and the best quality, without brand hype or popularity.

For this thread, let's talk about bass drum pedals. What's the best/your favorite and why? I'll probably get a double pedal, not 2 single pedals.

Thanks!
I still use the Camco by Tama chain drive I got back in 1990.
Works for me.
I have noticed, though, that some of the smoothest pedals I've played were the simplest.
HP35, DW5000, Premier 204, Gretsch Floating Action, pedals like that....as long as they're driven by a strap or a chain.
JMHO.

Elvis

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I still use the Camco by Tama chain drive I got back in 1990.
Works for me.
I have noticed, though, that some of the smoothest pedals I've played were the simplest.
HP35, DW5000, Premier 204, pedals like that....as long as they're driven by a strap or a chain.
JMHO.

Elvis
I've just recently came to that same conclusion

Maninblack

Reaction score
I've been using an Iron Cobra Junior for 3 years, I have tried other pedals but it suits me as a fairly light touch player. Not expensive but it performs well.