Bass drum pedals (Starting over from scratch)

Rab35

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I currently play Iron Cobra double pedal that I've had since 2002. I've had no issues with them at all as far as construction and durability. I've maintained them well over the years. I feel as if I'm having to put too much effort into doubles on my right foot. Practice more? Sure. I have. I still do.

I'm a heel up player. I'm not going for super speed. I'm looking more for great feel and smoothness of play. Again, I know it's all subjective. Just wanting to read other's opinions on what they like and use.

I'm a Tama guy and I am intrigued by the dyna-sync pedal over the speed cobra.
The DW 5000 and 9000 seem to be popular and well liked.

rstange1

Reaction score
For me, the best value pedal I've owned is the Yamaha FP7210A - simple, feels great, reliable as sunrise. Had Iron Cobra bass pedal and lever-glide hi-hat stand for a while and was very impressed with the feel and quality -- only downside was a bit heavy. A lot of vintage guys swear by the old Rogers Swivo-matic pedals - I have one that's about 50 years old and sees the occasional gig use and all of my practice time. Rogers new Dyno-matic bass drum pedal is robust, feels great, adjusts every which way, and has a great drum hoop lever-clamp that makes setup/teardown a breeze.

Which is best? Let's just say there's no shortage of great bass drum pedals out there.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can work with just about anything, but I'm partial to the Axis. I like the Trick and DW 9000 too.

If you get a double pedal, make sure the universal has absolutely no slack before you buy. Or, buy a retrofit one from Axis or Trick.

brianb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m a DW 5000 guy. I bought a 9000 when they came out and didn’t like the feel at all. Almost too perfect. I tried the Trick pedal and felt the exact same way. A buddy of mine uses an Iron Cobra and I like the feel of it almost as well as my DW 5000. As the others have stated though, I think it comes down to personal preference.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I go between a DW3000 and a Pearl Eliminator Power Shift, with the interchangable cams. I like the Pearl the best. I play jazz and blues, I dont need anything more. Not a big fan of old Yamaha pedals. I see alot of them at jams on backline and my foot keeps slideing up into the cam despiite my best efforts not. The Pearl has a toe stop. Yay Pearl!

Last edited:

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DW 5000s are tanks and have spare parts and customizations galore. Tech and quality has improved over the initial 60 year old design.
I like them too, except for that tall heel plate. Even the newest version with the tapered heel sits a bit too high.
Many others have complained about it too.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like them too, except for that tall heel plate. Even the newest version with the tapered heel sits a bit too high.
Many others have complained about it too.
Same for me - it's an awkward height to get comfortable with. Pedal itself is fine, but that heel plate...

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played DW 5000's for the longest time--decades. That being said, the newer ones are just ok. I don't think the quality is the same. I do like the simple Yamaha described above, and that is my pedal of choice now.

Recently played the new Rogers pedal on a friend's kit and loved it. Try it!

Dan

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I using and love this one

But also love my Camco chain drive

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I currently play Iron Cobra double pedal that I've had since 2002. I've had no issues with them at all as far as construction and durability. I've maintained them well over the years. I feel as if I'm having to put too much effort into doubles on my right foot. Practice more? Sure. I have. I still do.

I'm a heel up player. I'm not going for super speed. I'm looking more for great feel and smoothness of play. Again, I know it's all subjective. Just wanting to read other's opinions on what they like and use.

I'm a Tama guy and I am intrigued by the dyna-sync pedal over the speed cobra.
The DW 5000 and 9000 seem to be popular and well liked.
Have you tried increasing the spring tension?
Trick I learned after reading an MD interview of Larrie Londin back in the 80's.
He learned it from Jazz Drummer Sonny Payne.
Sonny's idea was that the faster you got the beater off the head, the quicker you could get it back on.
What I noticed is that it glued the footboard to my foot so every little movement I made, the pedal made too.
Gotta use a lot of tension. It should be a little hard to work the pedal at first, but you'll acclimate soon enough.
Try it, see whatcha think.

Elvis

Rab35

Reaction score
Trick I learned after reading an MD interview of Larrie Londin back in the 80's.
Sonny's idea was that the faster you got the beater off the head, the quicker you could get it back on.
What I noticed is that it glued the footboard to my foot so every little movement I made, the pedal made too.
Gotta use a lot of tension. It should be a little hard to work the pedal at first, but you'll acclimate soon enough.

Elvis
Yes, I've done this. Replaced springs also. I did notice a difference at first.

Maybe it's just a mental block.

jdrums123

Reaction score
I used DW 9000s for a long time, but just recently got a Pearl Redline Eliminator. I’m loving the Pearl so far.

I always felt like the 9000 lost a little bit of power in the stroke right before it made contact with the drumhead. I don’t sense any of that with the Pearl. It comes off the head very quickly, which is very helpful for me since I don’t bury the beater.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My newest pedal is my favorite. Yamaha FP9!
That has an old school design.
If I had any advice at all regarding pedals.
Try a cheap, old Camco if you never had used one, before dropping Bill's on the "latest/greatest "

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Elvis
I gotta try this. I keep mine loose since I play a lot of heel down feathering for jazz. But now that I'm focusing my efforts more on my blues band, I can hit harder and I want to get those Tony Coleman double shuffle kick drum hits in smother.

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DW pedals are a heavy power feel. Iron cobra lighter, speed cobra even lighter. I’ve been playing the speed cobra for about 8 years. Thinking of going to the iron cobra with a bit deeper groove.

PaulD

Reaction score
For what it's worth (since I don't have a lot of experience), I really like my Mapex Falcon. It's very quiet, solid and smooth and it has a lot of adjustments. I have the Falcon hi hat stand also and both are very well priced for what you get.

One question though (sorry if it's a hi jack). Can someone compare direct drive vs chain drive in terms of feel?

Mapex sells a direct drive conversion and I'm thinking of trying it, though it seems to be sold out everywhere.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I prefer a simple pedal and have found that I can adapt to almost any pedal I've come across. I purchased a DW5000 at a significant discount when they were moving on from the AD3 to the AD4 a few years ago. The deal was so good that I bought two of them, thinking that I might need a back-up someday. It's been smooth and flawless since day one, so the second pedal continues to sit in its unopened box.

Latest posts