Bass drum rail mount for 2 toms? Nope! I got a drum rack!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm curious:
I see that their is the Ludwig Atlas Arch and the INDE drill-free rail mount. Does any company make one that can hold up 2 toms? (10" & 12"). Something that would work (such as those two) without drilling the virgin bass drum?
Even the other option that Inde has, which is a base plate that requires drilling, shows only the option to mount one tom.

mcirish

Reaction score
I was looking for the same thing but couldn't find it. I ended up just using the atlas cymbal stand mounts. With the atlas arch, I couldn't get even the single tom into the position I wanted. I think it's a great idea for some setups but it didn't work for me.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was looking for the same thing but couldn't find it. I ended up just using the atlas cymbal stand mounts. With the atlas arch, I couldn't get even the single tom into the position I wanted. I think it's a great idea for some setups but it didn't work for me.
I also use the single atlas cymbal stand mounts. I currently have and 8", 10" & 12" and I have a 13" on order. So that's 4 mounts I'm gonna have to use. That's a lot of mounts which is not an issue since I have the stands, but it's tough to perfectly align the toms as I would like. If in the end, it doesn't exist, I'll just have to deal with that because I don't want to make a hole in my bass drum for a standard bass mount. I don't see why the INDE rail mount wouldn't work if the rail was flat instead of curved. I don't think the weight of the toms would be an issue since it would be shared between 2 lugs + I'm sure they could reinforce the rail. Surely, some other people must want this type of solution too!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
They do have an atlas arch for two toms, not sure if Ludwig did this or certain shops putting them together as a double. Looking at this add I think they are getting the extra parts to make it a double. Are you having issues mounting from stands? I think you're better off with stand mounted if the positioning works for you.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
My friend did this, first he ordered the arch with one tom arm from Sweetwater as a open box and ordered a second arm from Bentley's.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
They do have an atlas arch for two toms, not sure if Ludwig did this or certain shops putting them together as a double. Looking at this add I think they are getting the extra parts to make it a double. Are you having issues mounting from stands? I think you're better off with stand mounted if the positioning works for you.

I do use stand mounts. It's tough to get 4 toms at the right alignment. My old kit had bass mounted toms which was easy. With a virgin bass it's more difficult. I have never seen that Atlas arch for 2 toms but as you said and shown in the reverb add, it's some sort of custom solution. Ludwig must not market them. I'm gonna look into it and see how that might work.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
My friend did this, first he ordered the arch with one tom arm from Sweetwater as a open box and ordered a second arm from Bentley's.
I'm wondering how the weigh issue would be though. 10" & 12" Classic Maple's are pretty heavy.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I contacted INDE last night and they responded this morning. They do have a double tom solution that they make. It doesn't look like the rail though. It's the Base plate mount that I believe requires drilling 4 small holes. He sent me the info with pictures, I'll check it out tonight after work and post pictures of it too!

Last edited:

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score

My first thought was to do something like that. That's what they did back in the day when it was drilled into the shell. Just attach the arch to where the top two middle lugs go. You can always try attaching it to the front ones instead to experiment with positioning. When I drilled for my Maxwell reproduction rail I put it up front since it was on a 24" drum.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
So this is what INDE sent me. They said they have these. It's essentially the base plate with the 2 arms and it would go attached to the rail. The picture they sent me shows it all except the rail but buying it would include the rail. So no drilling! $199
That's about the same price that the Atlas arch would cost including the extra tom mount.
I have heard great things about the INDE mount though. It supposedly works better, is better built and it's much lighter than the Atlas arch.
What do you guys think? Does it look like a viable & functional solution to you?
IMG_20200604_101842.jpg

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Dont see why not!
Its a little indudtrial looking,not quite as smooth as the arch,but,very functional!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dont see why not!
Its a little indudtrial looking,not quite as smooth as the arch,but,very functional!
Yeah! Just say it, it's not pretty! Lol!!
As long as it works correctly, I'm willing to ignore how it looks. The advantage I see is that both toms sit in the center because the plate sits in the middle of the rail and both toms attach to that plate. On the Ludwig, the mounts would be spread apart and sit directly on the arch individually. INDE told me that between their lighter weight + the distribution (the INDE is wider), it has no effect on causing any damage to the bass drum & lugs. I think I'm gonna go for the INDE. I'll be ordering it tonight. They sent me a direct invoice already with the custom order. Hopefully, problem solved!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool! I've ordered it already so I'm pretty stoked to get it. I tried the virgin bass which is pretty to look at but too many toms on cymbal mounts is really a pain. I'll post picks when I get it and set it up.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks good to me, looks like it's mounted to a ludwig bass drum plate in the photo?
I kind of thought the same thing. Maybe they have different drums there to test things on. Only thing is that mine is gonna be the "drill free" version. So that plate with both tom rods will be attached to a rail. Like this:
IMG_20200506_152252.jpg

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm confused, the mount in the picture requires drilling holes in the bass drum. Is this your plan?

sherm
Nope! Take a look at the post I just wrote above and see the picture. I think you posted the moment I was posting so you didn't have a chance to see it. No drilling! The plate goes mounted to the rail and the rail attaches to the lugs. Kind of like the Ludwig Arch. It has a much lower profile, less weight and it's wider (for stability) than the Ludwig Arch.

Last edited:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I kind of thought the same thing. Maybe they have different drums there to test things on. Only thing is that mine is gonna be the "drill free" version. So that plate with both tom rods will be attached to a rail. Like this:
View attachment 448323
Got it.... this is the one I'll probably get when and if I start gigging again. Looks like it will be a while though!