Bass drum rail mount for 2 toms? Nope! I got a drum rack!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's too bad. Is there any way you can have the bass drum professionally drilled to accommodate a center mount? Otherwise, you'll probably need to resort to two double-tom stands, a dedicated rack, or a Gibraltar spanner connected to two cymbal stands.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's too bad. Is there any way you can have the bass drum professionally drilled to accommodate a center mount? Otherwise, you'll probably need to resort to two double-tom stands, a dedicated rack, or a Gibraltar spanner connected to two cymbal stands.
Eventually maybe! Right now I'll keep using the cymbal stand mounts. They work fine but since I just added the 4th tom (13"), I was looking for an alternative solution. It's tough to align 4 toms correctly with 4 separate mounts but it is what it is. A rack is out if the question since I've never really liked them.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
That might work, but...
Your many many responses take up more room than my posts. So I think you should ask for a consolidation too. Maybe something like: "The best of JDA" or "JDA's greatest hits", something like that, Ha!!
Really we just need an auto reply followed by an auto delete for JDAs account :)

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No room! They would take up the space of 2 of my cymbal stands.That would be the ideal solution but I don't have the space.
What about adding something like this to two of your cymbal stands? You can mount two toms off each horizontal bar. I used this with an e-kit and preferred it over a traditional rack.

Capture.JPG

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
What about adding something like this to two of your cymbal stands? You can mount two toms off each horizontal bar. I used this with an e-kit and preferred it over a traditional rack.

View attachment 449736
Interesting! I'd like to see pics of it being used for that purpose. I can't tell how I would hang the toms to that. Do you have a link for the company that makes that?

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting! I'd like to see pics of it being used for that purpose. I can't tell how I would hang the toms to that. Do you have a link for the company that makes that?
It's made by Gibraltar. Here is a link to a product page that has a video showing how it can be attached to a cymbal stand.

https://www.gibraltarhardware.com/product/sc-span/

You would need 4 L-rods to mount your toms, but your probably have them from when you bought the INDe rail.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's made by Gibraltar. Here is a link to a product page that has a video showing how it can be attached to a cymbal stand.

https://www.gibraltarhardware.com/product/sc-span/

You would need 4 L-rods to mount your toms, but your probably have them from when you bought the INDe rail.
Ah I see! I'll definitely look into it. I would need L-Rods. The INDe rail brought L-Rods but they are going back. And the ones that came with the rail were super short so I'm sure they wouldn't work anyways. It's ok though, I know Gibraltar sells the rods and they are pretty cheap.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't remember if you said these would work or not? Could do two one on each side of your bass, 4 toms on two stands, they should fit your stands and then you mount the cymbal arm in the accesory clamp

or they use to make one that clamped on to the stand but I can't find it.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I tried the Ludwig double mount and had to return it. It didn't work for positioning. The single mounts I have seem to work fine. I really don't mind them but what makes them a bit difficult is getting the right alignment with the 4 toms. That Gibraltar rod is an idea. Seems more spread between toms which might work. I think at this point I'll stick to what I have and maybe get the drum drilled in the future. I believe after all this experimentation that the best option is the tried and tested drilled double bass mount!
Still won't stop me from trying other ideas though, Lol!!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm curious why you are opposed to using a rack? To me, this seems like the best option for positioning 4 toms over a single bass drum. It looks like your new kit is intended practice and recording at home, so lugging around and setting up a heavy rack wouldn't be a factor.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm curious why you are opposed to using a rack? To me, this seems like the best option for positioning 4 toms over a single bass drum. It looks like your new kit is intended practice and recording at home, so lugging around and setting up a heavy rack wouldn't be a factor.
I'm not against it. I just never have liked the look of a rack. And I have so much on my kit, (cymbal stands, accessories etc..) that I wouldn't even know where to start in terms of putting a rack together. And it's more money above what I've already invested hardware wise. Maybe I'll reconsider. I guess I can look into it and see. Thanks for the suggestion.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Chris,
The picture of the ATLAS Ludwig tom mount shown in your example, is not the same mounts I received 2 years ago. Long story but I have 2 of them. Looking at the picture the back plate appears to have two holes for the retaining bolts, I wish that was the case. In reality the right bolt with the wing is actually supported by a fork, open at the end and is cut at a very slight angle at the factory. As you tighten the wing nut it tends to slip off the fork. I want to try to make some modifications but haven't had the time and actually don't have the need at this time. Except for the fork it is a very high quality product, smaller and lighter than anything else I've seen on the market. I'll try to find a picture to prove my point.

sherm

Found it. NOTE: The wing nut is close to the end of the fork, it held up for that gig but I've had it fall off during instalation.
1594172206688.png

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
OK, so let's talk drum racks then. I've never had one and don't know where to even start. I looked at all the Gibraltar ones last night and just came out confused at all the offerings. How would I be able to make one work with what I have? If I would get one, I would just get it to hang my 4 rack toms and maybe a couple of cymbals. I guess hanging a couple of cymbals would give me more room vs. having the 2 cymbal stands I have on each side of my bass drum right now. So here's the deal: I have 1 bass drum that I like centered. 8" to the left of the kick, 10" & 12" above the kick and 13" to the right of the kick. What rack would work for that? All the curved racks I see have room for 2-3 toms. Is there any curved rack where I could center the kick and hang the 10" & 12" on the horizontal bar? Where would the 8" & 13" go? I'm assuming their has to be some rack with some side extensions of some sort for those outer toms.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I still don’t understand how you can’t get 4 toms and cymbals with stands fairly easy .

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I still don’t understand how you can’t get 4 toms and cymbals with stands fairly easy .
It's not that the toms are hard to mount. The alignment when adjusting is the problem. Try adjusting 4 toms like mine with 4 separate mounts and you'll see what I mean.

Latest posts