header.nohb.html

Bass Drum Reso Head

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good evening. I have a quick question on bass drum reso head options...
I've got 3 kits now and each bass drum for each kit has a coated Ambassador reso head and they sound great (to me at least).
I'm looking to see about other options just to try something new. I've seen several kits with Fiberskyn reso heads. I checked out the options and there are plenty...
Fiberskyn Diplomat, Fiberskyn Ambassador, Fiberskyn PS3 in I believe Diplomat or Ambassador weights...there may have been more...oh yeah, the one's with the built-in felt strip.

I've read the FA weight, is actually more like an Emperor weight and the FD weight is more like an Ambassador weight. Does anybody use, or have maybe tried, Fiberskyn as a bass drum reso head - and how did it work for you? Do they change the sound of the drum and if so how much being a reso head?

Which weight did you go with and why? I usually add my own felt - so the PS3 option isn't really in my ballpark - I like to be in control of the amount of muffling and don't want to have to alter any built-in muffling. But who knows, maybe they sound amazing? This will be for a WFL 14x24. Thank you!

Tubwompus

Reaction score
My rosewood Sonor Phonics came with a Fiberskyn logo head on the front. It was workable, I thought, but I’m an Aquarian Regulator-type guy so that Fiberskyn head now occupies a place of honor on a wall in my studio.

Decades ago, I had a blond Pearl/Keller 24, 14, 15, 18 kit. I got it from the Percussion Center in Ft. Wayne, Indiana and they asked me what heads I wanted on it. For the BD front, I decided on a Fiberskyn II. I made a helluva choice coz that drum was a weapon!

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
I like a white smoothie ambassador. Great weight for a reso. I erase the remo logo easily and apply a vintage logo.

Z