Bass drum shell deformation under constant weight over time.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
Over time, does the weight of one or more bass drum mounted toms deform the shape of the bass drum? It stands to reason that the weight of my 9/72 Rogers kit's 13 inch tom and the 22" ride cymbal, both bass mounted, might squish the shell down ever so slightly, enough perhaps that the shell might go out of round. It looks fine now, but is it wise to remove the weight when not in use? Even the thickest of shells is still rather thin compared to other wooden furnishings.

Would my forty year old wrap (in my case, a nearly perfect black) be more likely to crack over time under constant, albeit mild, compressive weight? Does the wrap get more brittle over time?

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe the re-enforcement rings and the cross laminated wood shell construction prevent the bass from going out of round. The heads and hoops help as well. Not sure about the wrap becoming brittle. Maybe if exposed to extreme heat and cold over a long period of time. Good questions.
Coy

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
I would say maybe if you were talking about 3-ply or less drums...

But my advice is to try your darn best not to think too much with this... drums are designed to be played the way the manufacturer made them... now, true I have seen shell brace for Tama Superstars way back in the days so try something like that or just relax and enjoy those super strong Rogers tubs you have...

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've wondered about this myself recently. I picked up a Yamaha kit which I believe is their 8000 series. 14x18 8x12 14x14 piano black laquer, and a matching recording custom Snare. The Bass Drum has a support in it w Yamaha label that could support a building! It seems to serve no real purpose because the Tom is so light...but it started me thinking along these same lines. The shell has no reinforcing rings so maybe it came that way? Previous owner could've added it for piece of mind I suppose as well?

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
there has been a couple of posts about this lately, my concern would be legs of bass drum, they carry all the weight and stress.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I've handled a lot of these drums, 40-50 years old now, and I've never seen a Rogers shell out of round unless it had been sitting in water for a length of time in a flooded garage or basement. Of course, in those cases the shell was destroyed anyway...

Rogers touted the strength of their shells as a selling point. In a photo in an early catalog, there was a shot of 3-4 men standing on a shell and it held firm.

If the wrap on a shell hasn't cracked by now due to normal aging, it probably won't unless it's exposed to temperature changes, especially if it gets real cold. Don't leave them in a car overnight, or store them in a cold basement or unheated garage, and they should be fine.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever observed it happening to BD shells, although 3 ply Sonors would be my guess at a likely victim. I have seen BD batter hoops - lots of them - that develop flat spots on the bottom where the pedal connects. The hoop is taking most of the strain.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't think you have to worry too much about this with a quality made shell, that is , one from Rogers, Slingy, ludwig, Gretsch, Camco, Sonor, etc. Even 3 ply from a major manufacturer should be fine as long as you dont abuse it.

Its the crummy 60s MIJs that are extremely vulnerable to this problem, even WITHOUT any weight on the shells, the shells are made so poorly that just the tension of the heads and tension rods will , over time pull the shell out of the round and heads wont fit correctly. This is true of MIJ bass drums, toms and snares, especially with snares.

The way to lessen this is to loosen all the heads after a gig before you store the set for any length of time, then retune them right before the gig starts. A true pain in the you know what.