Bass drum spur choices for a new kit?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a new Summit kit is being built with my name on it and I have the lugs and tension rods, hoops and brackets from my old Pearl fiberglass kit, but the kick spurs are toast.

I’m looking at different options and INDe comes to mind or maybe Dunnett. Mostly I’d like to know why anyone would choose one spur over another. Features? Looks are part of it. Durability would be good.

If you were getting new spurs, what would your first choice be and why?

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the Inde spurs. I had DW spurs on a kit also and really liked those.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree about the INDe spurs ...... in principle. However, one drawback (for me, at least - with a 16" bass drum on a riser) is that they do not adjust for height, except for the tiny amount of thread in the rubber "spur protector" feet on the steel leg option). I found them to be BARELY long enough to make the drum even level, that is using the existing mounting holes. They do exactly what they are designed to do (like all of INDe's stuff).

One other thing: I agree that it's nice to be able to fold the spurs back and leave them on the drum for transport, but it's hard to beat the height-adjustable telescoping spurs for this feature. You know - the sort found on every MIJ kit in recent times .......

I also found the INDe "BR" series mounts to have more compliance than I felt necessary for this application. For a iso tom mount - sure - but my bass drum wanted to wiggle side-to-side until I shoved some stiff rubber plugs into the open end of the bent steel bracket to "tame" them a bit.

My $ 0.02 ..........

Mike

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Call me old school, but I've been a fan of Gretsch disappearing spurs since 1966, and have them on my two Gretsch bass drums. They've never failed on me, keeping my bass drum solidly in place. In addition, they're light and easy to set.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
inde would be my 1st choice
2nd would be the dw ones that clamp on the rim
I have the dw hoop clamp spurs and they’re good, but I think I want a more permanent solution.
INDe is hard to fault.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about the INDe spurs ...... in principle. However, one drawback (for me, at least - with a 16" bass drum on a riser) is that they do not adjust for height, except for the tiny amount of thread in the rubber "spur protector" feet on the steel leg option). I found them to be BARELY long enough to make the drum even level, that is using the existing mounting holes. They do exactly what they are designed to do (like all of INDe's stuff).

One other thing: I agree that it's nice to be able to fold the spurs back and leave them on the drum for transport, but it's hard to beat the height-adjustable telescoping spurs for this feature. You know - the sort found on every MIJ kit in recent times .......

I also found the INDe "BR" series mounts to have more compliance than I felt necessary for this application. For a iso tom mount - sure - but my bass drum wanted to wiggle side-to-side until I shoved some stiff rubber plugs into the open end of the bent steel bracket to "tame" them a bit.

My $ 0.02 ..........

Mike
Good to get that insight on the INDe spurs. Thanks Mike

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me old school, but I've been a fan of Gretsch disappearing spurs since 1966, and have them on my two Gretsch bass drums. They've never failed on me, keeping my bass drum solidly in place. In addition, they're light and easy to set.
You are old school.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

My $ 0.02 ..........

Mike
I do have two sets of the BR brackets (the large and regular) to try along with a pair of L arm spurs.

I’m thinking the kick can be drilled for dw spurs in case I don’t like the BR setup and swap them out. The hole spacing would work for both.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
in Heaven there is no beer...

gretsch BKsII 047.jpg

Gretsch 5975
is why we drink it here...

gretsch BKsII 047.jpg

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
The telescoping/disappearing vintage style spurs are elegant and functional.

Here’s a nice setup (courtesy of fellow forumite redfern)
BB3E7F9C-76BA-4102-BEEF-004E95649599.jpeg

The Camco/G.Way version is really nice too, the flat sides grab very well when tightened. The curve is cool too, looks great. Round spurs like the vintage Ludwig style can be slippy when things get serious, nothing worse than a spur failure!
1D7460A5-D1B2-4C5F-83C0-1FA668DF3CC5.jpeg

43859410-D81D-4327-9C52-FBB09F5BECEC.jpeg

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize that several folks here use these and have had no problem with them, but that's not been my experience. Both bass drums on my first drumset ('60s-vintage EW Kent) had them and they didn't prevent the bass drums from creeping AT ALL. I had to put a nail through the stage in front of each spur. Same thing with my '73 Vistalite kit with the original Ludwig curved spurs — I had to use nails in front of the spurs to prevent creeping.

My '84 Gretsch kit had the Pearl spurs that folded against the shell and those bass drums didn't move a millimeter. The same for my Ludwig Legacy Maples with the Elite foldable spurs (basically the same as the Gretsch): they're rock-solid. As far as I'm concerned if a spur doesn't prevent the bass drum from moving nothing else about it matters a whit.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

My $ 0.02 ..........

Mike
Did you try the BR brackets on a larger kick or the 16”? I’m wondering if the wobble will happen on a 22”.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here’s a nice setup (courtesy of fellow forumite redfern)
View attachment 504261
The Camco/G.Way version is really nice too, the flat sides grab very well when tightened. The curve is cool too, looks great. Round spurs like the vintage Ludwig style can be slippy when things get serious, nothing worse than a spur failure!
View attachment 504262
View attachment 504263
Those Camco/George Way are slick!

Only thing for me is spurs that don’t angle forward give them the creeps! It always looks like they’re waiting to crack the shell even if they probably don’t.

How do memory locks go on those?

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With my Gretsch spurs I simply wrap some electrical tape at the point where the front of the bass drum will be an inch or so off the floor. Did that on my 22 when I got it in 2000, and the tape is still there and only noticeable if you get right up on them. 3-4 times around nice and neat does the trick. The spurs themselves go into the front pocket of the drum's bag. Haven't lost one yet.

I have to admit being confused by the people claiming these spurs don't hold. I've been using them off and on since 1966 and when I set up on a rug the bass drum doesn't move, even when it's a virgin drum with nothing mounted on it. It worked just as well when I had pedals without today's Velcro.

I read the earlier account of someone driving nails into the stage to secure the bass drum and cringed. We used to play a lot of high school and college dances, and driving nails into a gym floor or stage in an auditorium would have gotten me in a lot of trouble. Besides, who wants to carry a hammer and nails to a gig? Whatever you need to do, I guess, but dang!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
upside down, no?
they're (both sides same) Gretsch installed so Nope. But the part number I figure would disappear so I wrote it down (it was on the box tag Gretsch shipped in from SC)

They're just 9020 blocks but with a curved L-foot one would have a tough time finding. Actually two part number reference that Spur
4945 and 5975. Gretsch tidbit for future reference Gull Wing I guess was the name used. Memory lock haven't had to make an adjustment to them in 11 years...Used/ seen on both USA Custom and gunmetal satin 6P BKs like mine.

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
they're (both sides same) Gretsch installed so Nope. But the part number I figure would disappear so I wrote it down (it was on the box tag Gretsch shipped in from SC)

They're just 9020 blocks but with a curved L-foot one would have a tough time finding. Actually two part number reference that Spur
4945 and 5975. Gretsch tidbit for future reference Gull Wing I guess was the name used. Memory lock haven't had to make an adjustment to them in 11 years...Used/ seen on both USA Custom and gunmetal satin 6P BKs like mine.
That’s cool but the G looks flipped over.