Bass drum spur choices for a new kit?

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
The telescoping/disappearing vintage style spurs are elegant and functional.

Here’s a nice setup (courtesy of fellow forumite redfern)
View attachment 504261
The Camco/G.Way version is really nice too, the flat sides grab very well when tightened. The curve is cool too, looks great. Round spurs like the vintage Ludwig style can be slippy when things get serious, nothing worse than a spur failure!
View attachment 504262
View attachment 504263
My Ludwig curved spurs work great and disappear inside for packing. But Ludwig want put them on 20" or smaller drums. So I have the Ludwig fold back spurs on the 20" and they work fine and look nice.

sherm

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
they're (both sides same) Gretsch installed so Nope. But the part number I figure would disappear so I wrote it down (it was on the box tag Gretsch shipped in from SC)

They're just 9020 blocks but with a curved L-foot one would have a tough time finding. Actually two part number reference that Spur
4945 and 5975. Gretsch tidbit for future reference Gull Wing I guess was the name used. Memory lock haven't had to make an adjustment to them in 11 years...Used/ seen on both USA Custom and gunmetal satin 6P BKs like mine.

Yes Joe - but the Techware lugs are symmetrical - you can insert the spur/leg/rod from either direction ....

M.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Idk, my bass drums with the telescoping spurs have never moved. If your pedal doesn’t move, your bass drum CAN’T move. A good pedal with spurs for carpet and a tacky grippy bottom for wood doesn’t budge. I use those dashboard cell phone mats for wood floors if I need it (works great on hat stands, pedals, under a riser, wherever) and deploy the spurs on bass drum AND pedal on carpet. Nothing moves. Those Gretsch spurs with 2 rubber feet and a spur in the middle look like they’d work very well, I’m digging those.
Spurs are kinda dictated by the build style, vintage spurs with a vintage style build, vintage style hardware - modern spurs with a more contemporary build, imho. You don’t want a parts-bin vibe, especially on a sweet kit.

I should’ve specified, the round Ludwig spurs that I’m saying don’t hold great are the NON-telescoping gull wing type (on the Club Date for example). The kind that just go into basically a floor tom leg holder on the bass drum. They look good and are light and inexpensive, but you have to really crank down on them and they still want to rotate and flop the drum on its face. Height adjustment is not great either, because if you rotate them in toward the drum it starts to look weird/wrong and isn’t super stable - and if you rotate them out away from the drum they want to slip even faster!

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did you try the BR brackets on a larger kick or the 16”? I’m wondering if the wobble will happen on a 22”.

Short answer: No ......

Long answer: I suspect that the larger drum would be a lot more stable, if only because of the additional mass. But then - why would you want to extend the spurs on a 22" bass drum? I like the front of a bass drum with the pedal attached at the batter hoop to be 1" to 2" off the floor; any steeper angle than this means that the pedal clamp will be tweaking the hoop. I find bass drum - mounted rack toms to be too high on a 22" bass drum even when at their lowest position ......... just me ......... ???!

M.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short answer: No ......

Long answer: I suspect that the larger drum would be a lot more stable, if only because of the additional mass. But then - why would you want to extend the spurs on a 22" bass drum? I like the front of a bass drum with the pedal attached at the batter hoop to be 1" to 2" off the floor; any steeper angle than this means that the pedal clamp will be tweaking the hoop. I find bass drum - mounted rack toms to be too high on a 22" bass drum even when at their lowest position ......... just me ......... ???!

M.
The added mass should stabilize a larger drum, I agree.

About extending the spurs, even on a 22, I often use either a Bass Plate or Evan (Dixon) Lift, which is when I usually extend spurs to their highest to keep the drum angled enough for the beater to hit squarely. Some drums don't change for the better or can't be improved upon by being lifted, but I like the fuller resonance a lift can provide.

Why doesn't anyone alter the shape of the hoop where the pedal attaches? There could be a design that allows whatever angle desired and is adjustable... or it might just be another solution to a problem that doesn't exist, but it would be interesting to find out. Alternatively, it could be done at the clamp somehow.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you planning on a large bass drum sitting on the floor just slightly lifted in front or a smaller bass drum on a lift? For 16, 18, 20 I like the retractable spurs because I raise the entire drum off the floor with a Gibraltar lift by the pedal and full extension on the spurs. With a 22, 24, 26 You can go gull-wing spurs, like the Inde or Dunnett. I love the Dunnett look as it looks aggressive with those spikes, but I have never played it so I cannot tell you about potential bass drum creep. I also love the Ludwig old arc type spurs, but I will tell you, I played them for years with my Luddy 24" kit and they were a nightmare with drum creep long ago. I think Ludwig changed the installation angle to make them more sturdy in the 80's. They also went with two sets at one point. I never liked that, except on Slingerland Retractables. Depending on the design you choose you may have to use a No-Creep Cable with some spurs.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I appreciate the modern utility of folding, telescoping spurs, I prefer retracting spurs, preferably curved. A lot.

I finally opened up two of my drums and fit memory locks on to the other end of the spurs and now I don't have to eyeball it as much during setup. Probably. Let's see when I start setting up again.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put me in the modern telescoping spur camp. Easy. Done.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on a large bass drum sitting on the floor just slightly lifted in front or a smaller bass drum on a lift?
It'll be a 22x16 and I usually listen to how it sounds with no lift, then compare with a lift and if I like it better that way, I'll either keep the lift or attach a bass plate. It depends which drum is already using one of them.

I'm leaning toward INDe right now but don't know if I'd like the non-telescoping design.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aesthetically, fold outs and different vintage spurs look nice, but I've found that the genereic Gibraltar Pearl style spurs work flawlessly.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Unless you're going for a vintage aesthetic I'd vote modern Yamahas.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the flat, satin chrome look of Yamaha spurs and their hardware has been great to me over the years. I'm thinking about it.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
took me a good 24 hour to get that :thumbup:

Yeah - I had to look at a Techware lug I had sitting around to verify ...... but there are identical recesses for the memory lock on both ends. And I have used existing Techware lugs to hold an upward-facing cymbal arm on a converted Gretsch floor tom (used to be a hanging 14x12").

But that said, I do see your point about the orientation of the wing screw; however, I have a habit of putting my bass drum on its back when I deploy the spurs, so having the wing screw facing downward is actually an advantage.

Mike

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can a machine shop or auto paint shop change shiny chrome to a satin finish?

If so, there are more options for me. I like the satin chrome look, but the Yamaha spurs are kinda pricey.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah - I had to look at a Techware lug I had sitting around to verify ...... but there are identical recesses for the memory lock on both ends. And I have used existing Techware lugs to hold an upward-facing cymbal arm on a converted Gretsch floor tom (used to be a hanging 14x12").

But that said, I do see your point about the orientation of the wing screw; however, I have a habit of putting my bass drum on its back when I deploy the spurs, so having the wing screw facing downward is actually an advantage.

Mike
They're saying you can flip that drum over, Joe.

Last edited: