Bass drum spur choices for a new kit?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're saying you can flip that drum over, Joe.
here's some in black nickle

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can a machine shop or auto paint shop change shiny chrome to a satin finish?

If so, there are more options for me. I like the satin chrome look, but the Yamaha spurs are kinda pricey.
Get an abrasive green sponge and do it by hand. Steel wool will do it, too. I've "aged" new chrome parts to make them look like old nickel this way....
it's not reversible of course.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's some in black nickle

Yeah there are few on Dfd that I’ve been eyeing.

cobaltspike

Reaction score
1624042330743.png
I use these on my 26", it has a 14 x 11 rack tom and 24" 2002 ride on an atlas arch and they are super solid. It just takes loosening of a wingnut and it's off the drum. These will fit pretty much any drum since one of the mounting studs is on a slider to adjust for hole spacing differences on lugs. Made by Ludwig, these are called Atlas Spurs, I added the rubber feet from a cymbal stand.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with INDe Spurs on my Summit kit . I am really happy with these Spurs . They keep the weight down too .
image.jpg

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been pondering the same question for a build.

I have a few Jenkins-Martin kits with INDe hardware. Fabulous drums and I appreciate the design elements Josh has put forth. In this instance, aesthetics may be playing a more significant role for me than usual, so I am looking at the different options - including a more vintage-style spur.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What does the Pearl Fiberglass hardware look like? How hard are you planning on beating this bass drum? If the hardware looks modern and you plan on really laying in to this bass drum playing rock music, then modern telescoping legs are the only way to go in my book. If the hardware is modern but you dont plan on beating the hell out of the bass drum, something like the INDe's with the curved legs can work well. If the hardware is more vintage looking but you still plan on hitting the bass drum hard, try finding an older set of telescoping legs. If the hardware is vintage looking and you don't plan on hitting the bass drum like an animal, maybe a set of disappearing legs is best.

I'm building a kit with 2 bass drums. The 22" will have a set of modern telescoping spurs because that is the main BD that I am really looking to lay in to. The 20" is going to be running double duty as a gong drum and as a lighter/jazzier bass drum when the kit is slimmed down to a 20/12/14 setup, so that one will get mounts with removable curved legs. This way I can hang the drum off a couple tom arms for gong use, and have the lighter spurs for lighter playing.