Bass drum spurs [arms]

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong, but i think those HEAVY DUTY spurs that look like two body builders arms holding back a bass drum, are hideous. Not to mention they get in the way of your case, often ripping the vinyl/cloth bags, and what about the weight???...In the vintage days, you had the Ludwig fold them against the drum, nice and light and sturdy, Premier had the two ball point pens retractable rods etc...So who thought that you need two bionic arms to hold back a bass drum?

Tasty808

Reaction score
Interesting.
The pearl SP-30’s have become the industry standard as the “custom” drum companies became more and more popular. I remember seeing them on a pro kit and thinking it’d be so awesome to own one of THOSE kits when I can afford it.
Now I have three kick drums with the SP-30’s and one kick with the beefed up SP-300’s. Which I love.
Different strokes!

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the Yamaha spurs. It gives me certainty and a solid feel when kicking.

They even saved me from a moving kick more than once when there was no carpet around (rare but it happened)

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is why we make the opposite! Our Ultralight spurs are simple, lightweight, do a great job holding the bass drum securely, and actually make the drums sound better!
you bet , i'm installing them on my 1965 ludwig bass drum today .... done ....

Attachments

Last edited:

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong, but i think those HEAVY DUTY spurs that look like two body builders arms holding back a bass drum, are hideous. Not to mention they get in the way of your case, often ripping the vinyl/cloth bags, and what about the weight???...In the vintage days, you had the Ludwig fold them against the drum, nice and light and sturdy, Premier had the two ball point pens retractable rods etc...So who thought that you need two bionic arms to hold back a bass drum?
I see your point, but all my vintage bass drums slide forward when hit unless they have an anchor or a set of nails on the front, and none of my current production bass drums with the heavy duty spurs does that!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
That is why we make the opposite! Our Ultralight spurs are simple, lightweight, do a great job holding the bass drum securely, and actually make the drums sound better!
Josh, I can say without a doubt that you’ve knocked it out of the park with those. They’re the best spurs I’ve ever used.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If ANY bass drum slides on carpet, tilt the drum to at least 1"-2" off the floor. This will help a lot!
This. Though the front only needs to raised up a bit. Even 1/2 inch does the trick. That, along with any modern pedal (which usually has spurs), and one is very unlikely to ever have a problem with BD creep. At least not on carpet -- $10 at Walmart.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I wish that was the case :)
My '66 Club Date, using modern pedals (with spurs engaged, when they're present), with the front raised off the ground, slides on carpets* all the time.

Are you guys playing rock with your drums? I'm hitting relatively hard, but I'm not pummeling it.

*By "carpet" I mean purpose-built drum rugs -- the Beato rug, and the Mapa Drumat both let this drum walk away from me.

Latest posts