bass drum tension?/pedal control

kallen49

Reaction score
I played my 16" bass drum on Friday (at a small bar gig, 4 piece) and realized I had much better control (as in precise notes/rebound control) and pedal response then when I'm using my 22" x 17". The 16" sounded great (at least to us on stage) and I felt like I played it well.
I play mostly heel up. I'm 60 years old, been playing 44 years so it's unusual to have revelations at this late date.

I'm going to try to tune my 22" bass drum up, see if I can duplicate the feel I have using the 16" (on the 22" I usually have minimum tension on batter with a slightly tighter resonant head to get the lowest pitched note)

*playing a DW 9000 pedal, 16" bass has Evans emad heads made for wood hoops, NO muffling or ports, the 22" Yamaha oak has an Aquarian Superkick II batter w ported resonant and a small blanket laid in the bottom for minimal muffling as it's always mic'd.

thanks for any response, Merry Christmas/holiday & happy healthy 2018 to all !

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Its not just batter tension. An unported reso head on your 22, or any other bass drum, makes a huge difference in feel, and one gets to work *with* the rebound. I'm sure if you've been playing so long you know this.

kallen49

Reaction score
hey ThomFloor,
Since 1979 I've always had a ported front head on whatever 22" bass drum I owned because whoever was mic'ing, whether a band member (or a sound tech as recently as this month), all preferred to have a ported drum with a mic partly in the drum on a stand or laying inside it on a blanket.
I will try a non-ported 22" head, (I guess I succumbed to the "that's the way we've always done it around here" syndrome),
thanks for the help!

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Usually the higher the batter tension = the better the rebound, the tension of the reso seems to affect things too but I'm not sure how.
I play a 20" and at the moment like the batter with some tension on it, maybe a quarter to a half turn on each lug, the reso would be close pitch wise. I get good rebound and lots of volume on stage, only downside is that burying the beater sounds a bit pants with a higher tuned batter.

Latest posts