Bass drum tilt problem

rayboomboom

Reaction score
I finally finished the 20" Ludwig bass drum I bought off CL. What a chore it was, the shell was is pretty poor shape with cracks in the inner veneer, the wrap was pulled and not heated so there were chunks missing from the outer veneer that I had to use wood filler on. And there was a 2" hole that someone drilled to mount a Tama tom holder. Now that it's all done and finally ready to play I'm having an issue with my DW 5000 pedal causing the drum to push the front of the drum downwards. If I have the legs set so the drum is level or slightly up in the front, the pedal lifts off the floor, right at the batter hoop. If I get the pedal to sit flush on the hoop, the drum tilts forward ( I shortened the legs so test this). I like the drum, but I'm really bummed about how much work I put into it (it's a players drum, not a restore by any means) and now this. It's playable, just not sitting the way I want it to.

Also the batter hoop was cracked and a piece cut out of it. I think the cracking is from pedal damage from the previous owner having the same trouble. And the cut out may be the fix they used to get the pedal to sit properly.

So any thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

The hole on top I covered with a piece of fake license plate like you find in a souvenir shop, cut down to shape and drilled for screws. I used a piece of rubber gasket under it in case it vibrated.
20200928_210755.jpg

It's sitting next to my Singerland 24" that I did the same paint job on. The 5000 that's on the Slingy is the pedal I'm using on the Ludwig 20". Then I'm using a DW 7000 as a remote to play the 24" with a soft felt beater, the 24 wide open and the 20 dampened. The legs are Gibraltar, that I'm not impressed with. But I didn't want to use bigger, heavier legs. And I wanted the legs to look similar to the Slingy.
20200928_210903.jpg

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
try a different pedal and see if it still does it . i have a 20'' bass drum and use the same pedal with no problem
just might be the legs . they look to me that they sit to far back on that drum

rayboomboom

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not happy with the leg placement either. But if I got them closer to the front they were too short cuz I would have to mount them above the lug. I'll try a different pedal though.

I'm wondering if the thickness of the hoops also may play a role in this?

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha 20" Recording Custom bass drum hoop has a built in lift. I wonder if something like that would solve your problem, getting the whole thing off the floor a bit.

rayboomboom

Reaction score
Put one of the Gibraltar or old Ludwig hoop attachment with spikes on the front rim to level or raise it up a bit. This will also keep the drum from sliding forward.
Well it's not sliding, just tilting. It's pretty stable, and the DW has velcro or whatever it is on the bottom so that may be keeping it from sliding.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Try not clamping the pedal to the hoop, just slide the pedal into place up to the stops on the frame.
I had this problem on an occasional stage when I gigged my Exports, never did figure out why/how it happened.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
A member in my band has a 22" Slingerland New rock kick that I use on occasions with a DW3000 pedal and the same thing happens. I can use the same pedal model with my 2 other kits without this problem occuring. I'm curious to see if someone here can shed some light on what causes this.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The legs are too far back. You may need to move them forward so the reso side is up and off the ground and the drum tilts down towards the pedal. I can't see what type of legs they are, but if you were able to fill the tom mount hole, then this should be an easy fix and adjustment (btw, HOW did you fill it?).....

If the spurs are short and/or you don't want to fill and redrill new spurs, you can get those ones that clip on the front hoop.......like those pictured here:

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's not sliding, just tilting. It's pretty stable, and the DW has velcro or whatever it is on the bottom so that may be keeping it from sliding.
The anchor will raise up the front of the drum by a bit to perhaps reach level and hold it there. The spurs extend out and adjust.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WoW I have a Dixon Riser under my 20" bass without any problems but then I have a different leg system. The picture looks like the legs are not long enough for the way they are mounted.

Go to a big box store; Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Buy some metal rod the same thickness as the legs but longer. They can cut them to size for you. Maybe add 3" for each leg, you'll have to make that decision. They also have aluminum stock; check it out, that may be strong enough. It would look nicer and be lighter. Some drummers use then for floor tom legs.

Nice looking drum BTW.

Good luck,
sherm

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe the hoop is too thin for that particular pedal clamp? In this case you could add a rubber hoop protector to add some thickness.

rayboomboom

Reaction score
The legs are too far back. You may need to move them forward so the reso side is up and off the ground and the drum tilts down towards the pedal. I can't see what type of legs they are, but if you were able to fill the tom mount hole, then this should be an easy fix and adjustment (btw, HOW did you fill it?).....

If the spurs are short and/or you don't want to fill and redrill new spurs, you can get those ones that clip on the front hoop.......like those pictured here:

@ JDG and the rest of everyone,
So I don't think the legs being too far back is the issue because even with the legs inserted up into the drum the effect still happens. But I do think the legs are too far back, I don't like it. What I've done so far is just allow the drum to slightly tilt forward and adjust the legs so it's stable, as in not moving when I play it, and seems comfortable so far.

I didn't fill the hole, just covered it with the above mentioned souvenir license plate and gasket material. The hole is so big and the shell is only 3 ply, I didn't think I'd be able to fill it and it not vibrate and erode the fill material.

And the legs are Gibraltar. Their light weight, which is nice, but feel cheep when installed and the legs tightened. I should have just gone with the Gibraltar Pearl copy legs. I have them on another drum and like them. Maybe later. I'm really not looking forward to changing anything at this point since it was way more labor than I intended. But the drum sounds good and that's what I'm after!