Bass drums everywhere

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been noticing in used drum ads many bass drums for sale solo. It makes me wonder what are people doing with the toms? Is it like socks where once one is separated they never get back together? Are you guys hoarding them or there separate boards for old toms or what?

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I have a 16x22 that hardly gets any use; should I sell it? NOOOOO.

Maybe over the years there may have been a good number of double bass sets sold and now it's not that popular and they just collecting dust and in their way at home.

sherm

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
People parting out sets maybe?

Maybe some are old marching drums?

Maybe someone bought a shell pack with different sized bass drums for different situations and then realized they only needed or connected with one?

I have a cool 70's camco single headed bass and single headed floor tom that are part of the C450 set but no mounted tom even though the bass has mounts for a tom.

I also just picked up a DW Collector's Series Exotic bass drum and floor tom without the matching tom.

I'm probably hosed for finding a matching tom for either of these sets which is a bummer. I could see selling a tom if you have 2 and you only play 1 up but having no toms? Dang it.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Maybe, having finally divorced the snare from the 'shell pack' concept, we've finally progressed to picking your snare, your bass drum, and yes, toms are a set. A la carte drums at last!

Nah, but I can wish.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe, having finally divorced the snare from the 'shell pack' concept, we've finally progressed to picking your snare, your bass drum, and yes, toms are a set. A la carte drums at last!

Nah, but I can wish.
Maxwell's does the ala cart thing for Gretsch USA Customs. But your limited to a couple of colors. One the plus side, you dont have to wait if your OK with the colors.

Also, I finally found and 18" kick but it came with a floor tom and a snare. It was supposed to have the rack tom but the previous owner has not brought it into the shop I bought the drums from yet. If it doesnt turn up I am going to have to get on and pay 1/2 what I paid for the set for an 8x12 rack tom. There is one guy on ebay who seem to break up sets. He has what I need, but he's asking way too much. Also, whats up with those sellers who put stock photos of a good looking womans head shot, a picture of the Earth from outter space and the neon sign Ebay logo. Who is that for?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maxwell's does the ala cart thing for Gretsch USA Customs. But your limited to a couple of colors. One the plus side, you dont have to wait if your OK with the colors.

Also, I finally found and 18" kick but it came with a floor tom and a snare. It was supposed to have the rack tom but the previous owner has not brought it into the shop I bought the drums from yet. If it doesnt turn up I am going to have to get on and pay 1/2 what I paid for the set for an 8x12 rack tom. There is one guy on ebay who seem to break up sets. He has what I need, but he's asking way too much. Also, whats up with those sellers who put stock photos of a good looking womans head shot, a picture of the Earth from outter space and the neon sign Ebay logo. Who is that for?
Oh man. That's the work of the notorious Pooter!

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
More than one seller does this and I've seen it in auto parts too. WTF?
At least in the musical gear world, it’s several accounts owned by just one person/couple. I don’t know they also have accounts for auto parts but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's people parting out kits and people splitting double bass kits up.