Bass head recommendations for 60's ludwig

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Going to rehead my 60's gold sparkle 60's Ludwig kit 13,16,22.
Going coated ambs on the tom batters (clear on resos).

Currently have a very old pinstripe on the bass batter and it sounds good but fancy a change.
Need something for rock and pop , thinking emperor coated batter and ambassador smooth white reso with a small 5" port hole ?

Any suggestions for what works for you ?

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
evans eq 1 reso evans e mad 2 batter clear . i have these heads on my 1965 ludwig bass drum

Attachments

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to rehead my 60's gold sparkle 60's Ludwig kit 13,16,22.
Going coated ambs on the tom batters (clear on resos).

Currently have a very old pinstripe on the bass batter and it sounds good but fancy a change.
Need something for rock and pop , thinking emperor coated batter and ambassador smooth white reso with a small 5" port hole ?

Any suggestions for what works for you ?
SKII / Resonator....good ol' stand-by for many for over 20 years now.

Browny

Reaction score
Coated P3 batter, single ply coated like the tom batters but that ring will tame those high end frequencies enough, control and focus it for that pop-rock vibe.

I like a coated Amb resonant. If you’re going for a port on the front you’ve got the option of using a felt strip or something inside like a towel. I like the coated front head as it has less of that plasticy ‘boing’ ring.

That’s what I’ve currently got setup on my Radio King. I swapped the coated Emp batter for a coated P3 recently and I’m really digging that again, got two pretty small towels inside spread out to cover a lot of the shell but only just touch each head.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m liking your emperor batter/smooth ambassador reso idea, michaelg.

Once you get that dialed in, maybe play around with different pedal beaters. When I’m playing rock/pop I like a rubber Iron Cobra beater, for country or more rootsy stuff I like round felt.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bonzo used Silver Dots and Ambassadors....and pulled them up tight.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are going to be endless opinions on this. What I'd suggest:

1. If you're going to be mic'ed, PROBABLY port the front head. If not, probably not. At least TRY it unported. You experience more bottom end as a player if it's unported.
2. A single ply coated head, with or without built-in muffling, will work great as a batter. There are a few good options. Get something like a PS3 coated if you think you'll want a pretty standard amount of muffling and something like a coated ambassador or emperor if you want to control your own level of muffling on that side. My current favorite head for this purpose is an Evans UV EQ4, but YMMV.
3. The front head is another issue. If you're planning on a pillow inside, you can do absolutely anything-- clear, smooth, whatever. If no pillow, then you have to think about muffling that head, too. My all-time favorite BD resonant head is the smooth white PS3-- you can take the Remo logo off with Acetone and then put a logo sticker on and it looks great. But a smooth white Ambassador looks great and you can go old school with the felt strip if you'd like.

Reaction score
My setup on my 22" is an emperor w/felt just under the beating spot on batter and a Ludwig logo PS3 on the reso. Tuned up into Bonham range. A nice old-school, boomy sound that doesn't ring forever.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Aquarian SK 1 for everything . Ludwig Rocker Silver Dot clear single ply un-ported for the reso. on my Slingerland 3-ply which is basically the same as your Ludwig .

Last edited:

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
PS3/PS3 for a classic rock sound. Maybe clear batter, coated reso with a 5” hole. A Colortone PS3 could be a cool batter too, the orange or smoke gray would look lovely on gold sparkle.

You can really dial in any kind of sound you want with a PS3 combo, with tension, dampening, etc. Great range. It sounds like you like a bass drum with some tone and openness to it, the PS3 does a great job of retaining that sound while adding some focus and some low end. You can get a nice full sound without any unwanted overtones, and a punch that you can feel in your chest.

jb111

Reaction score
Absolutely love the sound and feel of Coated Ambassadors both sides on my '64 Rogers 20". Moleskin patch on the batter. Nothing inside. I'll sometimes use a muffler on the front, sometimes a small rolled cloth between my batter and pedal. Depends on the gig (which isn't happening at all right now). Tuned right, you can get all the punch and volume you need, but it still has a nice note. For me, it sounds like those drums were meant to sound. Of course, totally subjective.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Old-school or all-around rock/pop tone, go with a coated Amb (more attack) or Emp (more lows) batter. For a more specific modern tone with that "pre-EQ'd" punch, a PS is good for that, with the added advantage of retaining some openness and liveliness. In either case, I think a good ol' Smooth White is just the right head for a vintage Lud reso.

EMAD is a quick way to get to a real punchy, reigned-in modern kick tone, but you will lose a lot of the character of the drum. It can have a homogenizing effect on your tone. I used to love them years ago, but these days I much prefer the openness of a simple coated Emp batter with just a bit of dampening. You hear more of the shell tone, and I think that's what you want with a vintage Ludwig kick. Plus, you can make the Emp response a lot more punchy just by adding more muffling to the reso...less overtones, more focus on lows.

Kevinpursuit

Reaction score
Back in the day, both my batter and res were coated ambassadors, with felt strip on both, with beater pad.