Bass pedal for electronic drum for drumming newb - Cheap vs Expensive

reabtima

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am about to buy my first drum set (Yey!).
It's an electronic set,Roland TD-1DMK. My drumming experience in total is one lesson and a couple of hours on a practice pad.
I need to buy a bass pedal and i have an option to buy an expensive one at the store which sells me the set (Pearl P930 which is sold at ~120$ anywhere around here), or a cheap Chinese one i can get here at about 40$ or somewhere else online at whatever a good price is (recommendations are welcomed).
I know one of the differences is that the more expensive one will last longer, but this is a very weak factor for me. I am more concerned about feel and things that directly affect my playing or my learning curve/goal.
Is there a difference in those aspects between the cheap and expensive bass pedals?

nylontip

Reaction score
Welcome! I would try it out first. A bass pedal, in a way, is an extension of your foot. It should feel good and smooth. I recommend going with a "used" pro model like an Iron Cobra 900 or a Pearl Eliminator. This way you'll save some money, and have a reliable pedal to grow into. If you sell it down the road, it'll still have resale value as opposed to the cheap pedal. Replacement parts are readily available should you need them.
Besides, a good pedal will feel better and may inspire you to play more, where as a cheap pedal may have limited adjustments and become frustrating to use over time.
Whatever you decide, make sure to clean and oil the pedal regularly. It keeps it working smoothly and limits bearing and spring problems due to friction.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
The only person who can decide on a good pedal is YOU.

You need to test drive various pedals and buy the one that YOU like the best and fits your budget.

This, sticks and sound are the most personal aspects of drumming.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
+1 on the above comments...

I will add that paying a bit more upfront and getting a better component/piece of equipment is far better then initially paying for a lower quality component only to pay again for the component you should have gotten from the start. For the most part, know that you will be getting a better piece of hardware when you move upward towards the top-of-line components (bearings, springs, cams, adjustability of pedal components, etc...).

reabtima

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments guys,
I went ahead and tested both pedals and decided i'd go ahead with the Pearl one.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments guys, I went ahead and tested both pedals and decided i'd go ahead with the Pearl one.
Thanks for the update!
Good choice in the matter, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a good entry into a pedal that has some of the key features of Pearl's higher-end pedals. Also, as you gain experience you''ll find that you equipment needs will change as well, and thus, this process will help you more easily select a pedal to fit those needs (and justify those sometime higher costs for those more desirable features).