Bass rig for under $500?

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wanting to get a bass rig for jamming at the house. Leaning towards a Yamaha bass for the bang for your buck factor, and not really sure about amps. Any suggestions? Would need enough power to play with drums. Trying to keep it under $500.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
My advice: don’t skimp on the size of the speaker cab. You can make a cheap bass sound good with new strings and a proper setup, maybe upgrade the pickups at some point. Most inexpensive modern amp heads sound pretty decent, and it’s easy to get enough wattage for low money these days. But a small or poorly designed speaker cab will never serve you well, and can’t be usefully modified for real improvement.

Rule of thumb for how much wattage you need is 10 x what the guitarist has. But more wattage from the amp won’t help a small/poor speaker box, and will in fact probably destroy it.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My advice: don’t skimp on the size of the speaker cab. You can make a cheap bass sound good with new strings and a proper setup, maybe upgrade the pickups at some point. Most inexpensive modern amp heads sound pretty decent, and it’s easy to get enough wattage for low money these days. But a small or poorly designed speaker cab will never serve you well, and can’t be usefully modified for real improvement.

Rule of thumb for how much wattage you need is 10 x what the guitarist has. But more wattage from the amp won’t help a small/poor speaker box, and will in fact probably destroy it.
I think my budget will probably have me in a combo amp, so hopefully they'll be properly matched. I'm probably not going to come in at under $500 though.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Properly matched in some ways, yes, but remember that the bean counters had final say in the product design. Their research would have showed that consumers want certain features, including compact portability, _and_ that most of the same consumers won’t know whether that portable design is working against them in other ways.

If you get a combo amp, make sure it has an extra speaker output jack so you can add another cab later.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wanting to get a bass rig for jamming at the house. Leaning towards a Yamaha bass for the bang for your buck factor, and not really sure about amps. Any suggestions? Would need enough power to play with drums. Trying to keep it under $500.
For price & quality combined, check out Kustom:
Musicians friend and Guitar center sell them. Best bang for the buck!
I was a Peavey guy till I discovered Kustom. Super well built, sound great & very low price.
Note: I don't gig, my equipment stays at home. But they are built for heavy duty use.
As for the actual bass, any name brand makes good bass guitars that sound good. Stay away from the super low end models that name brands sell and definitely don't buy a no name bass.
I personally like Peavey & Jackson! If you like Yamaha you will be fine with that too.
For $500 you can easily get it done with decent quality equipment.
LRod

Latest posts