Bassist Branching Out to Drums

Reaction score
Good Morning Drumforum!

Last year in August, after more than 11 years absent from the world of music, I decided to get back into playing. It was my sole intent to buy a Squier bass pack and be done with it. No GAS, no extras, etc.

This, of course, did not happen. But; what was NOT on my radar, what was never a consideration, was the purchase of a drum kit.
I did not want to spend the money on an "intermediate" kit and a lot of the "entry-level" stuff looked and sounded like toys.

So, what happened? That darn stimulus check showed up in my bank account. Now, I did use it to pay off my debt to American Musical Supply but, wonder of wonders, there was still some dough left!
Now, I have spent weeks on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, and OfferUp looking for That Deal® on a used kit. I found a lot of less than $300 kits were abused, had "Florida Rust", or were no-name cheapo garbage.

Finally, as if by fate/kismet/serendipity (or actually semi-patiently, waiting, shopping, and in one particular case outright lowballing (not particularly proud of that)), I found a really nice Tama Imperialstar 5 piece kit with an extra cymbal and stand, upgraded heads, and various accessories for $350.

Apart from it being a great deal, it is in fantastic condition. According to Tama; this particular line of Imperialstars was made between 2010 and 2013. Most importantly I am enjoying the heck out of these drums! And that is why I am here. I want to learn all that I can from more experienced drummers and to grow with other new drummers. At 53 years it will, likely, be an uphill battle but one that I am fairly certain I can handle. I do not think that I have unrealistic goals, my aim is to have fun and supplement my decrepit musical knowledge and look forward to corresponding with other members.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

In the spirit of "No Photos, No Gear", here is my latest obsession:

TamaKit02a.jpg

Cymbals05.jpg

TamaTom_01.jpg

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the dark side! For $350, hell yeah! Enjoy your journey. Me? I went in your direction after playing drums since '66 and got a Squire Jazz bass in December, total newbie. My only saving grace was I know very basic music theory (what you pick up playing drums for many, many bands throughout the years) and having a pretty good ear. Still, I find the fretboard totally confusing. Oh, I also decided to learn guitar (Total newb as well) at the same time (all on-line lessons).

And talk about G.A.S.? Oy! To date since I started my journey in December: This

My Fender Player Jazz Bass (I returned my Squire because I decided I wanted a Fender), my new Sire U5 short scale (love this bass) and my Fender Player Strat (HSS)
159257893_10224231348598862_202113962073829162_o.jpg

My Gretsch Streamliner G2655T
Gretsch2655T1.JPG

Reaction score
Welcome to the dark side! For $350, hell yeah! Enjoy your journey. Me? I went in your direction after playing drums since '66 and got a Squire Jazz bass in December, total newbie. My only saving grace was I know very basic music theory (what you pick up playing drums for many, many bands throughout the years) and having a pretty good ear. Still, I find the fretboard totally confusing. Oh, I also decided to learn guitar (Total newb as well) at the same time (all on-line lessons).

And talk about G.A.S.? Oy! To date since I started my journey in December: This

My Fender Player Jazz Bass (I returned my Squire because I decided I wanted a Fender), my new Sire U5 short scale (love this bass) and my Fender Player Strat (HSS)
View attachment 492235

My Gretsch Streamliner G2655T
View attachment 492236

Thank you! It is great to know that I am not the only one!

On a completely related note: I have been eyeballing the G2655 very hard. How do you like it?

boomstick

Reaction score
I've been a wannabe bassist for a long time. Some guys play air guitar, I play air bass. I keep telling myself I'll take it up after I get a little better at drums, but the perfectionist in me is never satisfied.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! It is great to know that I am not the only one!

On a completely related note: I have been eyeballing the G2655 very hard. How do you like it?
Love that thing. And the price was very reasonable. Actually, all my guitars were under $700 each. The Sire was $499. I think the Gretsch was $549.

Reaction score
I've been a wannabe bassist for a long time. Some guys play air guitar, I play air bass. I keep telling myself I'll take it up after I get a little better at drums, but the perfectionist in me is never satisfied.
If I may? Go ahead and get a Squier beginner package like this one:

Get a set-up done and throw flats on it.

Squier is NOT the brand that it was even 10 years ago. I was amazed at the quality of this "entry-level" instrument. Obviously, it is not a Fender but for less than $350 you will get a reasonable idea if you want to stick it out or not. I should note that the amp is mediocre at best, but it is good for practice and running a decent set of headphones. A bonus is that Amazon makes this package available on a zero-interest payment plan. (I hate to sound like a salesman, but I am really impressed with the bass).

21_03_RigPics57.jpg

21_03_RigPics31.jpg

21_03_RigPics36.jpg

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to Talkbass, I mean DFO. ;)

I started on drums and bass at the same time thanks to a musician friend of the family when I was ten years old. Eventually I became more of a drummer than bassist. I didn't play bass from about 1975 until early 2008 when I was picking up a snare drum at a DC pawnshop and a bass caught my eye.

A couple of weeks later I had a massive stroke. It took me a while to even get back to where I could play drums again, but I did. While I was at it I dove deep into bass studies, and actually became a pretty good bassist. I'm know more as a drummer, so I didn't gig as much as a bassist, but I did from time to time.

At one point bass GAS was pretty bad.

1617242483993.png

I January of last year I smashed my index finger on my left hand, a compound fracture. It healed enough that I can play bass again, but not for long periods. I sold all but two of my basses because of this.

The good news is that It did not affect my drumming quite as much.

I still play some bass, but not like I was.

I think that being able to play both instruments helps me as a musician. And I think that you will pick up the drums pretty fast. This is a good place to digitally hang.

Welcome again!

Last edited:
Reactions: MVE
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to Talkbass, I mean DFO. ;)

I started on drums and bass at the same time thanks to a musician friend of the family when I was ten years old. Eventually I became more of a drummer than bassist. I didn't play bass from about 1975 until early 2008 when I was picking up a snare drum at a DC pawnshop and a bass caught my eye.

A couple of weeks later I had a massive stroke. It took me a while to even get back to where I could play drums again, but I did. While I was at it I dove deep into bass studies, and actually became a pretty good bassist. I'm know more as a drummer, so I didn't gig as much as a bassist, but I did from time to time.

At one point bass GAS was pretty bad.

View attachment 492607

I January of last year I smashed my index finger on my left hand, a compound fracture. It healed enough that I can play bass again, but not for long periods. I sold all but two of my basses in disgust.

The good news is that It did not affect my drumming quite as much.

I still play some bass, but not like I was.

I think that being able to play both instruments helps me as a musician. And I think that you will pick up the drums pretty fast. This is a good place to digitally hang.

Welcome again!
Dang, that's a lot of stuff to go through. Glad you are doing better. Those are some lovely axes, man! Thank you for the welcome, I look forward to corresponding here and The Other Place. :cool:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good Morning Drumforum!

Last year in August, after more than 11 years absent from the world of music, I decided to get back into playing. It was my sole intent to buy a Squier bass pack and be done with it. No GAS, no extras, etc.

This, of course, did not happen. But; what was NOT on my radar, what was never a consideration, was the purchase of a drum kit.
I did not want to spend the money on an "intermediate" kit and a lot of the "entry-level" stuff looked and sounded like toys.

So, what happened? That darn stimulus check showed up in my bank account. Now, I did use it to pay off my debt to American Musical Supply but, wonder of wonders, there was still some dough left!
Now, I have spent weeks on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, and OfferUp looking for That Deal® on a used kit. I found a lot of less than $300 kits were abused, had "Florida Rust", or were no-name cheapo garbage.

Finally, as if by fate/kismet/serendipity (or actually semi-patiently, waiting, shopping, and in one particular case outright lowballing (not particularly proud of that)), I found a really nice Tama Imperialstar 5 piece kit with an extra cymbal and stand, upgraded heads, and various accessories for $350.

Apart from it being a great deal, it is in fantastic condition. According to Tama; this particular line of Imperialstars was made between 2010 and 2013. Most importantly I am enjoying the heck out of these drums! And that is why I am here. I want to learn all that I can from more experienced drummers and to grow with other new drummers. At 53 years it will, likely, be an uphill battle but one that I am fairly certain I can handle. I do not think that I have unrealistic goals, my aim is to have fun and supplement my decrepit musical knowledge and look forward to corresponding with other members.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

In the spirit of "No Photos, No Gear", here is my latest obsession:

View attachment 492232
View attachment 492233
View attachment 492234
What do you want to learn?

MVE

Reaction score
I too am a bass player that just bought a drumset. My band’s rehearsal space and recording setup is in my basement. When covid hit, I found myself recording drum tracks to play along to. It wasn’t very long before my drummer came to pick up his kit and started me on a search for a replacement.
I found a great, barely used Tama Swingstar for $300 with cymbals. Ive learned that drums all sound the same but cymbals all sound very different. So I had to spend another grand on some decent ‘garbage can lids’ as my wife calls them.
Well here we are 6 months later and I’ve got a collection of 5 finished jazz standards with my covid band, (me on guitar, me on piano, me on drums and, of course, me on bass.) after watching the videos, my 6 year old daughter calls it the Daddy Clones Band.
When the videos are finally done, I’ll post some here.
DF has been a big help and helped me work through a totally misplaced ride and learning to bounce my triplets instead of flapping my arm like a hummingbird at 260 bpm.

Reaction score
What do you want to learn?
Not trying to be a wiseguy but, I guess the basics. In terms of drumming, Barrie Barlowe and Clive Bunker were the first drummers I actually paid attention to in terms of trying to pay attention to what they were doing within the framework of the music. Now, I realize that I am lightyears away from being at that point, but the Blues interests me as a novice drummer, and I think that the stuff Frank Beard does is rather cool in my book as well.

Thank you for asking that question and making me stop and consider this. I truly appreciate it.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not trying to be a wiseguy but, I guess the basics. In terms of drumming, Barrie Barlowe and Clive Bunker were the first drummers I actually paid attention to in terms of trying to pay attention to what they were doing within the framework of the music. Now, I realize that I am lightyears away from being at that point, but the Blues interests me as a novice drummer, and I think that the stuff Frank Beard does is rather cool in my book as well.

Thank you for asking that question and making me stop and consider this. I truly appreciate it.
Welcome! So, what does the basics mean to you? I’m not that familiar with those players, but, I ask because some of what they do may be basic, some requires a significant investment of time and effort.

PS: I actually saw Jethro Tull live around 79’. Couldn’t tell you who the drummer was. I was there to see the opening band, UK with Bill Bruford. Instead some fellow named Bozzio shows up in black tights, a black tank top and a lot of drums.

Last edited:

highmileage

Reaction score
Welcome, I’m another bassist that bought a Tama kit recently. I was originally a drummer in high school, so I guess it was just a 30-something year break...:/

I’m debating private lessons (again) before long, but a book and some YouTube videos have been a good start back at it. Check out the Non-Glamorous Drummer and Rob Brown for some good pointers.

Reaction score
Welcome! So, what does the basics mean to you? I’m not that familiar with those players, but, I ask because some of what they do may be basic, some requires a significant investment of time and effort.

PS: I actually saw Jethro Tull live around 79’. Couldn’t tell you who the drummer was. I was there to see the opening band, UK with Bill Bruford. Instead some fellow named Bozzio shows up in black tights, a black tank top and a lot of drums.

To my way of thinking: Keeping good time, developing "limb independence" (I'm sure there is a better, more correct term), the mechanics of good stick control. Cultivating a "feel" for the music rather than just being mechanical in my playing.

Insofar as the influential players I mentioned; here is an example of Barriemore Barlow's work with Jethro Tull:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To my way of thinking: Keeping good time, developing "limb independence" (I'm sure there is a better, more correct term), the mechanics of good stick control. Cultivating a "feel" for the music rather than just being mechanical in my playing.

Insofar as the influential players I mentioned; here is an example of Barriemore Barlow's work with Jethro Tull:

So, what is your plan to develop these skills?

Reaction score