Battery powered amp for e-drums?

PinWiz7

Reaction score
Hi there, does anyone have any recommendations for a battery powered amp for e drummers please(I use a Roland TD11 kit)? Having recently experienced a power cut during a band practice (two of my band mates were on acoustic guitars and the key board player and vocalist using a battery powered amp so guess who was the odd one out)! OK lighting doesn't usually strike twice but......! I am looking at the Roland Cube Street Ex which throws out 50W (not cheap). Has any e-drummer tried using one of these or anything else? Thanks D

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you lose power, how will the e-drums still be on?

To answer your question though -- even amps connected to the mains have difficulty reproducing drums well. What's your objective here? If it's literally just "will this make an audible sound", then yes, something like the Cube would work. It won't be a good sound, though.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
For a properly sized speaker system - you have to ask yourself "how many bass drum hits do I want from this bass drum? Five or six? Do you feel lucky?"

RockrGrl

Reaction score
If you lose power, how will the e-drums still be on?

To answer your question though -- even amps connected to the mains have difficulty reproducing drums well. What's your objective here? If it's literally just "will this make an audible sound", then yes, something like the Cube would work. It won't be a good sound, though.
To answer your question:

No idea how long this would allow you to play, but if the power were off for a short amount of time you might get by.

RockrGrl

Reaction score
I'll be that guy: why not acoustic drums?
Well A: this is the electronic drum forum and B: I'm sure the OP has their reasons, like sound levels or diversity of sounds available just to name a couple.

That's like asking "why not acoustic guitars, or keyboards."
The world is changing and e-drums are here to stay, get over it.

Demonslayer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well A: this is the electronic drum forum and B: I'm sure the OP has their reasons, like sound levels or diversity of sounds available just to name a couple.

That's like asking "why not acoustic guitars, or keyboards."
The world is changing and e-drums are here to stay, get over it.
I do not feel one way or the other about e-drums, unless they stop working, which is exactly what's happened here. Creating an electrically resilient rig to support two electrical loads is a complicated problem that is effectively removed when you use acoustic drums. You already have acoustic guitars in the mix, so it makes sense to me. I'm sorry you felt like you needed to bring out the battle cry, but I guess "being that guy" has its risks.

Parcel

Reaction score
There's the Crate UFM-12H, s'possed to be pretty good.

I got a copy of one. Its a Harley Benton HBAC-340, u can replace the batteries in them as well.

Attachments

• HBAC 30.jpg
    HBAC 30.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 6
  • CRATE UFM-12H.jpg
    CRATE UFM-12H.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 7

David Lewis

Reaction score
To answer your question:

No idea how long this would allow you to play, but if the power were off for a short amount of time you might get by.
I'd investigate the 120VAC to see whether it's modified sine wave (MSW) or true sine wave (TSW) output. The modified sine wave can wreak havoc on audio amplifier operation.