Battle of the Bands 1967

KevinD

Reaction score
The opening was shot on Grand St in Croton, those buildings are still there.

Some of the participants and attendees have posted in the comments section for that video on You Tube. Interesting time capsule there, glad that those folks are still around.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The band that covered light my fire, I'm thinking that the front man/singer/guitarist and the keyboard player might be brothers.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
This one is in a similar vein from down Texas way and longer but hampered by really poor sound. I was able to identify several of the songs based on the bass line and the drum part but a bit harder to sit thru the whole 27 minutes. I only saw three different bands with the first only up for about a minute and the third taking the majority of the time. A Ludwig Hollywood set and a Satin Flame Gretsch set in Chico Hamilton mode (no bottom heads).

Last edited:

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys had sort of equestrian-themed outfits.

Slingy Stage Band, with the later-added Sound King FT?
It was more like Paul Revere and the Raiders kind of thing as I recall. Looks kind of stupid now, but I guess pretty cool then. The guys played the guitars behind their back and I twirled my sticks. That's why we won.. The other bands weren't that good.

My set then was a Kent 1965 set that my parents bought from the Montgomery Ward Catalog. I got a 1967 Ludwig Hollywood BDP (Again thanks to my Parents) about a year after this pic and played with this band for about another 5 years with some personnel changes. We went through a lot of Bass players though!

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
It was more like Paul Revere and the Raiders kind of thing as I recall. Looks kind of stupid now, but I guess pretty cool then. The guys played the guitars behind their back and I twirled my sticks. That's why we won.. The other bands weren't that good.

My set then was a Kent 1965 set that my parents bought from the Montgomery Ward Catalog. I got a 1967 Ludwig Hollywood BDP (Again thanks to my Parents) about a year after this pic and played with this band for about another 5 years with some personnel changes. We went through a lot of Bass players though!
Kent, you say? Well, then, Lanebune, sir! I was hanging out tonight with a good friend tonight on a socially distant walk. He has that same set, but in Blue Sparkle. With matching snare! He bought it on my advice (younger dude getting into vintage). It even has the single tension ride tom/dual tension FT like yours. He's played a bunch of slammin' rockabilly show gigs and recorded a lot with them. Mellow tone!