BD Lift that isn't Gibralter, Dixson or DW for a 16" drum?

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever see a decent BD lift that wasn't one of the awful DW monstrosities but was strong, relatively light, and fit in a normal BD case? I bought a dwcp9908 lift but just can't bring myself to mount that heavy ugly mess on my nice drummers world nesting 16" bd.

Sometimes I use a Dixson, but it doesn't work as well if I don't use my rack tom. The BD isn't heavy enough to stay securely on top of it.

And sometimes I use a Gibralter clamp on SC-BDPM, which is OK but I have to take it off to get the drum in the bag.

Seems like a simple retracting plate would be easy to jury rig. Anyone make or see a good solution?

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever see a decent BD lift that wasn't one of the awful DW monstrosities but was strong, relatively light, and fit in a normal BD case? I bought a dwcp9908 lift but just can't bring myself to mount that heavy ugly mess on my nice drummers world nesting 16" bd.

Sometimes I use a Dixson, but it doesn't work as well if I don't use my rack tom. The BD isn't heavy enough to stay securely on top of it.

And sometimes I use a Gibralter clamp on SC-BDPM, which is OK but I have to take it off to get the drum in the bag.

Seems like a simple retracting plate would be easy to jury rig. Anyone make or see a good solution?
What about the sonor?

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
I have the bass plate linked above for my 20” Rogers. I posted the measurements in this link because mine took some modification to fit.

It’s fairly easy to bend, especially if you have access to a vice. If the lugs mostly line up, I’m sure you could bend to fit the radius and file out the slots if needed (like I did.) It’s a very solid connection and it would get you a little closer to center, but probably doesn’t have as much lift as other options.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the sonor?

This is interesting. Never saw it before. Is it laterally stable? Seems like it could collapse if pushed although maybe the pedal keeps that from happening?

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The BD has wood rims so dunnet won't work

I love that bass plate idea but he doesn't seem to make one for a 16 drum.

The mapex seems very similar to the gibralter, no?

Thx!!

bpaluzzi

Reaction score

Thx!!
I use the Dunnett mount combined with a DW claw hook accessory mount. The claw stays on the drum, just a drumkey bolt to take the riser on / off.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thx!!
I don't use any. I just put them up there so you could see other options that are available. I'm sure someone here that uses them can chime in on specifics.
LRod

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was going to suggest Pearl's jungle conversion kit...but not for wood rims. It would work though if you put a Pearl mount on/thru the shell...so probably a no go...but maybe you could use part of the idea?

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is interesting. Never saw it before. Is it laterally stable? Seems like it could collapse if pushed although maybe the pedal keeps that from happening?
I haven't used one. Just remember looking at them a while back and I remember Tain using one in a sonor 16” floor tom years ago. It looked like a good solution to me because i like lightweight.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 10x14 micro Gretsch SSB "bass" (a former tom). It came with a small, funny looking yet fully functional riser. I think it's a homemade job. It has a bottom like the Dunnett that the pedal attaches too, then a vertical rod with a clamp on it like the old cowbell holders that clamps onto the wood bass hoop at the bottom.

I'll post a picture later.....

varatrodder

Reaction score
I use the Dunnett mount combined with a DW claw hook accessory mount. The claw stays on the drum, just a drumkey bolt to take the riser on / off.
This was going to be my suggestion. Works like a charm.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Have you looked into the Tama classic bass drum pedal that has a height adjustment?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
i was going to suggest Pearl's jungle conversion kit...but not for wood rims. It would work though if you put a Pearl mount on/thru the shell...so probably a no go...but maybe you could use part of the idea?
What would be the problem with wood hoops? The required optimount connects to the tension rods, not the hoop.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wolf, I'm not sure. I have the Gib., too. This one is like that but cut in half. The top screw is an allen wrench head so you have to have one on you if you are breaking it down but it should fit in a case. It doesn't travel so I don't know.

I have the problem of fitting the Gib. between the claws on some of my smaller basses.