Bearing Edge on Bass Drums

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know we have had a million conversations about bearing edges on snares and toms. I'm looking for some opinions specifically on BD edges. I'm building another 20 in bass drum. The reason I'm build another one is is that the first one came out EXACTLY like I intended,.. I built the kit to be a jazz / coffee house kind of kit. It's all real thin maple shells. I BD turned out real nice with lots of tone,.. and very quiet. The toms were surprisingly good also. I like it so much that I started using it for my rock gig. The toms sound fantastic miced.. but I can't get the punch or projection I need from the BD.. it's 20 x 14 I think.. SOOO.. I want to build a 20x18 (maybe 16) rock BD to go with the rest of the kit for rock. All my BD have a outer round over to a sharp inner 45. both front and back. what would be ideal for the next BD to get the most punch and attack out of a 20 inch maple BD?

cplueard

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the layup Crush uses with their Sublime series. Rounded resonant with 45 batter. Make it thicker too as that'll help the punch and focus.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How thin is the shell of the quiet bd you have? Could be it's quiet becuase of the thinness. I have played kits by boutique companies that didn't really project unmic'ed, the shells were so thin. I'd say most major companies, even those using thin shells for toms, use at least 7mm for bd shells.