Bearing edge roundover

fsam

Reaction score
When cutting an edge for a 30/45 deg roundover what's the conventional wisdom as to the radius of the cut? Would it be different for a shell 1/4 thick as opposed to 3/8 thick? I've just started to build (assemble) and it's time to learn edges.

LBCD

Reaction score
I used an outer 1/8” round over and an inner 45* on this Keller Vintage Mahogany shell. I thought a 1/4” would work too but it was not rounded over enough and the cut would of been peaked and not rounded over. It’s been a while but I think I did the inner first then the round over last.
EA57BECA-F985-4C6F-900D-47919839A5FC.jpeg

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm no pro what so ever but when I cut edges I also do the inner 45 first and usually do two cuts on the inside and two on the outside. I do this for two reasons: 1) two small cuts will give a smoother surface than one deep cut and 2) I do a shallow cut first so I can get an idea of where I am at in relation to the "center" of the shell. Jeff Kirsch explained to me that a reason that drums don't tune well that is often overlooked is that you can cut past the center ply of a shell or the center of the ring (in the case of a solid shell or stave drum) when you should always leave that center untouched. You should round to the outside of it and angle to the inside of it then smooth the whole assembly to become one bearing edge. It hasn't let me down yet. I'm still trying to master my snare beds though; that is a tough cookie to crack.

Although it's unrelated but you said you were just starting out. Something I figured out while working on my last drum was that almost any new raw shell you purchase will be slightly undersized than it's given dimension. 14" snare shells are usually like 13.875" or something. If you don't have or don't want to buy a layout mat and are going to do the math on the distance between lugs i.e. [(shell DIA x 3.1415)/# of lugs] then work in millimetres instead of inches. It will get you a much more exact location for the center line of each lug. You can buy a metric tailors rule on amazon for a couple bucks and it works WAY better.

fsam

Reaction score
Thank you. These replies are just the kind of info I was hoping for.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not a pro either but I didn't want to invest in 2 router bits for one drums. So instead, I bought a 45 degree chamfer for the inside, then lowered it as low as it would go in my router table (your router and table may differ), then rounded over the outside that way. Worked good enough for me!