Bearing Edges on Vintage 1964 Ludwig Kit

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
Are they in bad shape or just a "bad" sound to you? Ludwigs are different than Gretsch and Slingy and Rogers. I would say mostly like Slingy though. Who will redo, cost of on a budget, resale value, will they really be "better" are all Q's to consider.

I have a late 60's Ludwig kit. All original edges. Sounds great. I also have a late 60's Jazzette kit. All new edges (prior owner did them) that are sharper and a bit more modern. To me it sounds fantastic as Ludwigs are not an ideal Jazz sound despite the great set name. So it depends.....
So, the edges seem to be in excellent condition. I am actually going to play them later this evening as I just received them on Tuesday. I know for sure that the edges and overall drums are in EXCELLENT condition. Honestly, I cant imagine it sounding bad.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Had my edges done on my '71 Ludwig kit to original factory specs per Precision Drum Co.
Why you ask?
Drums did not sit flat on a flat surface such as a granite countertop.
Original edges were rough and uneven, looked like they were cut with a dull hatchet.
Drums were very hard almost impossible to tune.
Drums didn't stay in tune.
They now sound amazing

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had my edges done on my '71 Ludwig kit to original factory specs per Precision Drum Co.
Why you ask?
Original edges were rough and uneven, looked like they were cut with a dull hatchet.
They now sound amazing
I had the same experience recently w/a 13" pre-serial tom. It rocked, wavy edges at the lap joint, and flat spots. Couldn't clear the head. Precision did an excellent job, and the profile was all Ludwig. Tunes up great and sounds like a Ludwig.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear. If they sound bad after playing, and assuming it's not old or bad heads ( my go-to is coated ambassadors), I would put the drum edges on a table and check if even and flat.

Philaiy9

Reaction score
Why you ask?
They now sound amazing
That's interesting that you say they didn't stay in tune before. Did the recutting help that or do you think the tuning just doesn't have to be as perfect for them to sound good now? My orphan Ludwig kit doesn't stay in tune well, including the drum that was recut, so I'm curious.

healthie1

Reaction score
with bites I'd sand them down. I sanded down some chunks on my WFL snare.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's interesting that you say they didn't stay in tune before. Did the recutting help that or do you think the tuning just doesn't have to be as perfect for them to sound good now? My orphan Ludwig kit doesn't stay in tune well, including the drum that was recut, so I'm curious.

I think the de tuning issue was due to uneven tension on the rods in order to get it to a decent sound. I tune medium low so a few of the rods could have been on the lose side and not holding tightly.(I play fairly hard) Now with more even tension all the way around it stays put if that makes any sense.