Bearing edges - to match or not to match?

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Hey builders!

I’m about to order a shell for a snare build (13x7) and I’m on the fence about edges. My initial idea is an outside roundover sloping in at 30 degrees (a ‘vintage 30’) on the batter side, and a normal 45 on the reso (small outside 45, wider inside 45 to meet it). Now I’m wondering if I should go with a vintage 30 on both.

The shell is Walnut stave, thinned to 1/4” excepting a band top and bottom - creating built in re-rings if you will (or even if you won’t). I like the fat, warm sound and feel of a roundover. And I’ve always read/heard that a 45 on the reso side keeps things crisp and responsive.

Can you guys help me understand what I can expect with the ‘vintage 30 batter/45 reso combination’ versus a ‘vintage 30 top and bottom’?

I sure do appreciate you sharing your wisdom and experience!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't know but check for Craviotto snare videos on YT - they do different edge combos and maybe a vid could give you a sound profile close to what you want to do.....

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I put a sharp 45 on the reso side all the time now. I think it makes for a sensitive snare sound. batter edge as desired,. round, bat, sharp,..etc

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Yup, after some Craviotto research and some listening to this and that, I’m going with a roundover/30 batter and a 45/45 reso. I have drums with both rounded over, and drums with both 45, but I don’t have a combo, so... Also I love the fatness that you get from a roundover so if I can combine that with sensitivity I’ll call it a win.

Thanks guys!

Latest posts