Bearing edges

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
That's my problem, I can do the wood stuff, it's what I do for a living. The problem for me is that I chase the tuning part. I like so many people that I cant make up my mind where I want to be
I get that I like punchy warm Toms I play shallow rack toms no matter what kit minus my vintage stuff snare wise right bottom medium top medium snare tightness I do a lot of ghost strokes I don’t use drum dials or any other gimmick running gear just ear and have never had a complaint about any kit I’ve played.

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Agree to your last, I don't play out so I am always messing around with to much stuff. I just really love working on drums. To what you said about the new kit you bought 10 years ago vs the first act. There is only so many company's making shells today and even 3 decades ago. My question is, how many gems in the rough are out there?

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
Agree to your last, I don't play out so I am always messing around with to much stuff. I just really love working on drums. To what you said about the new kit you bought 10 years ago vs the first act. There is only so many company's making shells today and even 3 decades ago. My question is, how many gems in the rough are out there?
Exactly I love dw I use there hardware and no ther other hardware but after having a kit and buying into that gimmick shell technology sometimes just let a drum be a drum at the end of the day no one cares. I’m getting ready to play a 4 hr set with a hodge lodge kit and my cymbal setup is lol I took sabian sbr rides lathed them hammered them and quenched them and got them how I wanted minus my ride is a sweet ride but out of all the non musicians that will be here do think any one of them is gonna go hey what are you playing? Nope as long as there’s music to dance to they don’t care. Now when drummers come see me they will ask and be blown away from what I use and that feel good to know I did something that doesn’t just sound pleasing to my ear.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just had a couple done at Precision drum co. They did stock 30 degree edges (flatten and true the edge before cutting) Follow up with a fine sand and wax on the lathe. Drums sound amazing.
BTW Hand cutting is no way to do an accurate edge, you'll never end up with a perfectly flat edge. It needs to be done on a flat router table otherwise the router will just keep taking off more material.
Steele (Kentville drums Au) does a great video showing the process done correctly using propper tools and techniques.

My Ludwig shells
View attachment 470775 View attachment 470776 View attachment 470778
Are those pics the drums that Precision re-edged for you? I don’t see how they counter-cut the outside edge with the wrap on the drum. I would think that the seam of the wrap would cause the bearing stop of the router bit to change the depth of the cut, if you follow me.

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
Are those pics the drums that Precision re-edged for you? I don’t see how they counter-cut the outside edge with the wrap on the drum. I would think that the seam of the wrap would cause the bearing stop of the router bit to change the depth of the cut, if you follow me.
Nope I cut that they did a kit 12 years ago for me explainedneverythingntheybdid so I went and got the tools. Best thing for wrap is masking tape and then a razor blade Toncut the edge down from the bearing edge. Check out rdavidr on YouTube he does it as well

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yup those are the ones they just did for me , Edge is flawless all the way around. This is what they do , the Pro’s at Precision. I don’t ask how George how he does his tricks I just send the check!