Beatdown Brown Gets A&F Snare

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I gotta keep it real...this snare is the cat's azz...no question about it.
(dig the little Nawlins Stanton Moore vibe on the beginning of video)
Now, million dollar question...where else can I get this sound on a beer (not champagne) budget?

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Now, million dollar question...where else can I get this sound on a beer (not champagne) budget?
Let me see if I can ask this question better. First off, I get that this snare sound isn't everyone's cuppa tea. But - What is it about this snare that gets "that sound" ?
By "that sound" (it's hard for me to describe) but that fat, dry, tone that just sounds perfect to my ears?
The 6.5x14 raw brass shell?
The single flange hoops?
The A&F snare beds?
The lugs are nothing fancy, so I'm guessing they don't contribute to the sound much. Can't be the throw-off - Right?
Anyone seen prices on the Great Lakes snares?
Thanks!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Let me see if I can ask this question better. First off, I get that this snare sound isn't everyone's cuppa tea. But - What is it about this snare that gets "that sound" ?
By "that sound" (it's hard for me to describe) but that fat, dry, tone that just sounds perfect to my ears?
The 6.5x14 raw brass shell?
The single flange hoops?
The A&F snare beds?
The lugs are nothing fancy, so I'm guessing they don't contribute to the sound much. Can't be the throw-off - Right?
Anyone seen prices on the Great Lakes snares?
Thanks!
It's the "old growth" brass that makes the AK seem so magestical (that's majestic and magical rolled into one) ;-)

EDIT: Honestly, I think if you played around with tuning and heads you could get similar results and save a grip of dough.

Beatdown Brown said:
The drawback to this snare .... it's also the loudest, so ya just can't take this snare to any gig....
I think we've got to send Beatdown to this thread:

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's the "old growth" brass that makes the AK seem so magestical (that's majestic and magical rolled into one) ;-)

EDIT: Honestly, I think if you played around with tuning and heads you could get similar results and save a grip of dough.

I think we've got to send Beatdown to this thread:
I actually shared this thread with Rob via dm, and his response was “Ha! That’s funny. Drummers are such nerds.”

DaveB

Reaction score
Yamaha Recording Custom Brass 6.5 will do that at a fraction of the price. It will also do a lot more, will carry a warranty, and will have a solid build quality.
Might well be the case, but that drum won't carry the same vibe and give off the same personal interpretation and inspiration as the A&F to the respective owner. It won't, full stop.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My guess is it's the shell, matl, (copper/zinc ratio) build method, edge design, and the SF hoops. And for all the cynics and nay sayers: I played one at DCNH and was totally blown away. I then went around the Wall of Snares and played every brass snare and a bunch of steel, aluminum and maybe a bronze or two. Nothing came remotely close. The best way I can describe it is, and it sounds dumb, but it has an amazing presence. It instantly demands your attention. Perfect amount of everything good and nothing bad. I'm sure someone can explain that away. Totally worth the price...I have an Edge and can't justify the expense in retirement.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My guess is it's the shell, matl, (copper/zinc ratio) build method, edge design, and the SF hoops. And for all the cynics and nay sayers: I played one at DCNH and was totally blown away. I then went around the Wall of Snares and played every brass snare and a bunch of steel, aluminum and maybe a bronze or two. Nothing came remotely close. The best way I can describe it is, and it sounds dumb, but it has an amazing presence. It instantly demands your attention.I'm sure someone can explain that away. Totally worth the price...I have an Edge and can't justify the expense in retirement.
I think you hit the nail on the head...
'Perfect amount of everything good and nothing bad'. Problem is I'll probably never afford that $1,200 price tag unless I win the lottery or do something illegal.

BlackPearl

Reaction score
Oh yeah. Rob and his brother Rich, who’s a phenomenal bassist, are both great dudes.
I didn't realize they were brothers. I saw Rich give a jaw dropping performance at my local jazz festival at least 10 years ago. The drummer in that band was Larnel Lewis.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Might well be the case, but that drum won't carry the same vibe and give off the same personal interpretation and inspiration as the A&F to the respective owner. It won't, full stop.
What the Actual Eff does that mean? Some dude in Austin is making super-expensive drums for lawyers who think their gear makes them artistes? Come on, bro.