Beatdown Brown Gets A&F Snare

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I didn't realize they were brothers. I saw Rich give a jaw dropping performance at my local jazz festival at least 10 years ago. The drummer in that band was Larnel Lewis.
- Rich is a beast. I've seen him with Andy Milne and Sean Rickman several times. Whew!

ogniR rratS

Reaction score
Let me see if I can ask this question better. First off, I get that this snare sound isn't everyone's cuppa tea. But - What is it about this snare that gets "that sound" ?
By "that sound" (it's hard for me to describe) but that fat, dry, tone that just sounds perfect to my ears?
The 6.5x14 raw brass shell?
The single flange hoops?
The A&F snare beds?
The lugs are nothing fancy, so I'm guessing they don't contribute to the sound much. Can't be the throw-off - Right?
Anyone seen prices on the Great Lakes snares?
Thanks!
Maybe it's the horrible welded seam that would get a welder fired anywhere else.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I listed to all snare drum videos posted here. Rob's A&F sounds the best. It has a certain big band vintage sound. It's also better than the other A&F posted, at least to my ears. The rim shots are no comparison. Could be Rob's playing or tuning. Maybe they sent him the best drum they could?

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
- Rich is a beast. I've seen him with Andy Milne and Sean Rickman several times. Whew!
That was probably Andy’s band Dapp Theory. I’ve seen that line up and an earlier one with Mark Prince on drums. Amazing!

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nope, I don't have one and I probably won't either, but I'm not gonna waste my time explaining something thats - from your comments - 100% always going to be over your head.
He has nothing to explain. What you stated was subjective, an opinion, nothing more. Stop trying to act like what you said has a definitive answer, and he doesn't know the secret handshake to get in.

In your opinion that snare achieves those goals (inspiration, blah blah blah). In my opinion, that snare sounds nice, in that tuning, played in that manner, but can easily be achieved with/by many other snares/players, at a fraction of the price.

See how that works.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Now you're talkin...please post some videos.
that would be nice, seeing as every time an A&F thread comes up people say you can get that sound for 1/2 the price.

Today isn't agood day for me to search Ludwig, Yamaha, Tama, Pearl, and George Way videos. But one thing I'm wondering is if guys don't tune those for a more modern sound, and primarily the tension on the wires...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Everybody just calm right down!

My favorite part of this thread thus far was that sick malletkat demo.
Anybody have one of those pups?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
FWIW, after owning many snares so far in life, the only complete snare drum I own is a Sensitone Steel. I don't even remember where it came from. It's not amazing by any stretch, but it gets the job done; sounds like a snare drum, is very well made, holds tension well, tunes all over the place.
I'm sure the brass version sounds even better, but I can't imagine that many folks would choose a brass Sensitone over one of those boutique metal drums, be it Joyful Noise, N&C, A&F or what have you...
Because that's how people are. Aesthetic and acclaim are important aspects in life. Doesn't really help much to complain about it, ask Jesus.
The thing I like about DFO generally is that most of the time, we don't complain. We recommend and help.
When we fight, name call and insult it seems very out of place and sad, because that type of behavior isn't in keeping with the creed around these parts.
So knock it off!
:)

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Now you're talkin...please post some videos.
Wait, are you suggesting what Rob played, and the snare sound, can't be reproduced? If so, whatever you're on, I'll have half lol.

Additionally, Youtube has countless videos of playing/snares, help yourself. I'm not here to hold your hand through the obvious.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait, are you suggesting what Rob played, and the snare sound, can't be reproduced? If so, whatever you're on, I'll have half lol.
Additionally, Youtube has countless videos of playing/snares, help yourself. I'm not here to hold your hand through the obvious.
Nossir, I'm not saying that at all.
But I've watched a bunch of similar snare videos and I've yet to hear it. If you or anyone else has heard it from another snare, please direct me.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nossir, I'm not saying that at all.
But I've watched a bunch of similar snare videos and I've yet to hear it. If you or anyone else has heard it from another snare, please direct me.
"a bunch"...so, roughly 0.113% of available drumming/snare videos on Youtube.

"If you or anyone else has heard it from another snare, please direct me." You're assuming you, I, and others, are all hearing the same thing. We're not. Its subjective. What's "good", "swampy", "dark", "funky", "thick", "meaty", etc, is personal. I can't believe how often this point gets lost on this site, especially among musicians.

Reactions: Hop

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
That was probably Andy’s band Dapp Theory. I’ve seen that line up and an earlier one with Mark Prince on drums. Amazing!
- I agree. Andy's stuff is not jam session materiel just yet

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think the old 2 piece Ludwig NOB snares get that same self muted vibe as the A&F. And I know they last at least 100 years because I have two of them. LOL

Latest posts