header.nohb.html

Beater bounce

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have not really faced this problem before. This is on my 24x15 Jenkins Martin bass drum. It came with an Emad batter head on it. Been using non ported Aquarian Regulator reso heads for a long time now. I switched out the Emad for an Aquarian SK1 and with my DW9000 bass drum pedal I get terrible beater bounce. Beater is hitting just above center. I have loosened the batter head to where it sounds bad and it doesn’t make much difference as far as bounce. Don’t really want to de-tune the reso head any as I like the tone

Any pedal adjustment tips for this? My JoJo Mayer Sonor pedal doesn’t seem to bounce nearly as bad. I could put the Emad back on but I really like the sound of the SK1. As far as venting I removed the tom mount from the drum and that hole is open so there is a big vent. Any help appreciated.

rsmittee

Reaction score
Man, I was literally battling with this last night on a slow (95 bpm) double bass beat, also on a 24 bd. Best I could come up with was a technique solution where I played more from the hips, and really tried to play off the head instead of burying the beater. It was challenging, but I muddled through. I would love to hear how others deal with it.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was experiencing this yesterday too. It mainly happened when I was bringing up the pitch of the batter head. I have no front head on the reso, just a mesh head but I have the Remo Submuffl on the batter side with all muffling strips installed and when I brought up the batter side head I was getting that bounce. It sounds good but I need to do something about that beater bounce. The only solution I have right now is to play heel down and try to let the beater not stay on the head as much as possible when I play. Or maybe bring down the tension of the batter side head. Or maybe even put a thin beater patch on the head like the Aquarian super thin one. Around the same time yesterday I also lowered the beater position so that it hit more in the center so that could be the cause. I’m gonna try to raise the beater back up again above the center and if that doesn’t work I’m gonna lower the pitch of the head a half step or two.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the 9000 hit harder than the JoJo pedal ???

I love unported bass drums , I had to work hard on controlling the pedal and not burying the beater ……

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've battled with this on a 24 enough to learn how to bounce off the head. It took me a few months to fully acclimate to the new feel of the technique. "Catching" the rebound with your foot and all... I now play that way 95% of the time.

WesChilton

Reaction score
Yeah I'm dealing with that too on my 22" Ludwig bd. Best I can do is play off of the head as much as possible, which isn't particularly comfortable for me. I am using an Evans EQ4 Calftone head, which sounds fantastic, but needs to be tensioned higher than something like a Powerstroke 3 or Emad. I have played with my pedal tension, beater height, beater weight... but whatever, when I play trying to bury the beater in the head, some strokes just bounce.

One thing I think might be part of this... I am used to playing 22x16 and 22x18 bass drums and this drum is a 22x14. That "immediacy" from the shallower drum is likely contributing to the issue.

In the end its just about technique... I just need to adjust to the drum.

rsmittee

Reaction score
You can learn to drop the leg and still let the beater bounce, the stroke doesn't need to start heel down.
This is exactly what I ended up doing. Keeping the ankle totally relaxed to absorb the rebound and playing from the hip. Learning it on the fly was kinda challenging. I'm going to keep practicing that technique for next time. Creates a huge sound that's open like heel down, but louder. I dig it.

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you listen closely, even Tony Williams' beater flutters from time to time. For me, the only solution is a 4" off center hole in the front head.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you listen closely, even Tony Williams' beater flutters from time to time. For me, the only solution is a 4" off center hole in the front head.
Or 1” holes around the perimeter of reso . Or a hole in bass drum shell …

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had forgotten about beater bounce!
Yep, fought that for many years back in the 80’s.
For me it solved itself when I went to a ported reso head and discovered I loved the sound of a very low tensioned batter on my bd.
Also, while it’s in no way the best technique, I bury the beater, always have. Just learned it that way early and never developed an alternative though I do recognize many benefits to playing otherwise.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have played with a solid reso forever and even these head combos. The 9000 definitely hits harder than the JoJo pedal. I love the sensitivity of the JoJo and the power of the 9000. I am getting so I can control the bounce better technique wise but was wondering if there was any across the board pedal adjustments that help. Thanks for the ideas. I am using a Kevlar Flam patch. I do tend to like a lively beater but this is the first time it has been such a hassle.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I have not really faced this problem before. This is on my 24x15 Jenkins Martin bass drum. It came with an Emad batter head on it. Been using non ported Aquarian Regulator reso heads for a long time now. I switched out the Emad for an Aquarian SK1 and with my DW9000 bass drum pedal I get terrible beater bounce. Beater is hitting just above center. I have loosened the batter head to where it sounds bad and it doesn’t make much difference as far as bounce. Don’t really want to de-tune the reso head any as I like the tone

Any pedal adjustment tips for this? My JoJo Mayer Sonor pedal doesn’t seem to bounce nearly as bad. I could put the Emad back on but I really like the sound of the SK1. As far as venting I removed the tom mount from the drum and that hole is open so there is a big vent. Any help appreciated.
Your leg/foot is weak and can't control the pedal.
Old problem. I dealt with this a long time ago.
Crank up the spring tension on your pedal until its actually a little difficult to play.
Play it like that for a while and soon your leg/foot will acclimate by building extra muscle.
This will give you better control over your pedal and the beater bounce will eventually dissappear.

Elvis

Rivot

Reaction score
Cut a port hole about 5in on the reso head that should solve that bounce the small hole were the tom mount goes is not big enough for air to escape also bearing the beater does not help with no port hole.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is a problem for me at lower volumes, so I always let the beater come off when not playing loud. For loud stuff, I'm going to bury it, and there's no buzz or flutter if you put enough force into it. Assuming a ported head. With an unported reso, I can still bury it so long as I really putting some force into it, but for the most part I have to let it come off the head. I'll always maintain that there is no substitution for the sound burying the beater hard gives. It's just the right sound for certain genres.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
you must have to wear a spot in
back down the head tension a little/maybe both sides/ and wear in a spot
keep the front just a little higher

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yep, on some of his recordings with a 24x14 it sounds like that sometimes, I guess I know it from Stories of Neptune.

Just adding a small port won't remove it. On the plus side, there can still be a lot of vibration even with a 5" port if it's close to the edge and with little muffling, and then you get that flutter sound if you're not super careful.

For textbook beater bounce, take a look at some Simon Phillips footage.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was experiencing this yesterday too. It mainly happened when I was bringing up the pitch of the batter head. I have no front head on the reso, just a mesh head but I have the Remo Submuffl on the batter side with all muffling strips installed and when I brought up the batter side head I was getting that bounce. It sounds good but I need to do something about that beater bounce. The only solution I have right now is to play heel down and try to let the beater not stay on the head as much as possible when I play. Or maybe bring down the tension of the batter side head. Or maybe even put a thin beater patch on the head like the Aquarian super thin one. Around the same time yesterday I also lowered the beater position so that it hit more in the center so that could be the cause. I’m gonna try to raise the beater back up again above the center and if that doesn’t work I’m gonna lower the pitch of the head a half step or two.
If you want to stay heel up, try bringing your foot back a little from the toe stop on your pedal board towards the heel. When I first got my 26” with full heads after learning on a single headed 22”, I found it helpful for playing off the head to avoid the bounce. Not sure if it will work for you too, but its free and easy