header.nohb.html

Beater bounce

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t bury the beater. Let it rebound. That’s what you do on all of the other drums and cymbals.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don’t bury the beater. Let it rebound. That’s what you do on all of the other drums and cymbals.
Actually I just watched a video here on DFO of Steve Gadd and he was burying the stick on the cymbals. Had never seen this technique before. But Gadd is always teaching me something new.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've commented on this before and others have said what I'm about to reiterate. I got back into playing in '10 and bought a kit with a 20" bass. I'd always buried and the 20 incher was bouncing Bdddt every note. I ported the reso and run a looser batter than reso but I basically learned to play heel up for power while also letting the beater off the head via a subtle and micro brief relaxation of the ankle to allow rebound in combo with foot positioning on the pedal board. I still bury at times for the shorter more damped intonation but it's great to have more tools. For burying I simply "turn off" the ankle release and move a tad forward on the board and between the tuning, the port and the weight of my leg there is no bounce.
The difference between buried and off the head is slight and may not be audible to anyone but me even without other instruments. If anything it's a little harsher or obviously more staccato as some of the nice rich after resonation is stomp-damped. That off head bass drum resonance is subtle but rich and rewarding.

Skinsmannn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dealing with beater bounce on a non ported kick is about control.
Bonham has gotten some of the best ghost notes off his kick by utelizing beater bounce.
Ive found that decent tension on the downstroke AND return were best for me in addition to using different techniques for heel or toe depending on the musical dynamic and speed being played.
Sound techs HATE closed kicks because they cant mic it up easily

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
getting paid.jpg

Maybe I'm just jealous because after 30+ years of playing I've never been able to bury the beater without it going "bzzzzzt".

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really appreciate all the comments. I play a mix of heel up and down but predominantly up. Heel down when playing mellower stuff. I have been playing big unported bass drums for 20 years so that isn’t new. Even this same head combo. Really the new piece is the 9000 pedal. Will play with some of these ideas and move forward from there. Love the power and precision of this pedal just trying to dial down the bouncing. Thanks

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealing with beater bounce on a non ported kick is about control.
Bonham has gotten some of the best ghost notes off his kick by utelizing beater bounce.
Ive found that decent tension on the downstroke AND return were best for me in addition to using different techniques for heel or toe depending on the musical dynamic and speed being played.
Sound techs HATE closed kicks because they cant mic it up easily
I have them mic the batter side …
I explain that “ hey you don’t mic the reso side of my toms do ya ? “

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Really the new piece is the 9000 pedal. Will play with some of these ideas and move forward from there. Love the power and precision of this pedal just trying to dial down the bouncing. Thanks
I only tried the 9000 once, it seemed to have great ball bearings etc., but it's also quite heavy. More mass, more inertia compared to something glike the Jojo Mayer pedal.

Nyama74

Reaction score
Had the exact same problem when I moved from a 22" up to a 24". ("What the heck happened to my technique??")

Kinda relieved to hear it's a common issue, honestly.

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can someone please share a video of them playing an up tempo samba, on a non ported bass drum, with no beater flutter?

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I just watched a video here on DFO of Steve Gadd and he was burying the stick on the cymbals. Had never seen this technique before. But Gadd is always teaching me something new.
That’s such a cool sound. Especially when he does it. I wonder what the origin of that is?

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That’s such a cool sound. Especially when he does it. I wonder what the origin of that is?
There was another video posted awhile back of Gene Krupa demonstrating the same idea, so it goes back a ways. I can’t make it sound good personally but it would be a nice addition to the palate if I could

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I buried the beater a lot when I was younger, playing more rock and having more muffling in the kick that makes you want to bury the beater. Now I hardly ever do it and recently I’ve been trying to work on my heel down playing by focusing on Thomas Lang’s strategy in this vid. There’s other good info in this vid too.