header.nohb.html

Beater bounce

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really appreciate all the comments. I play a mix of heel up and down but predominantly up. Heel down when playing mellower stuff. I have been playing big unported bass drums for 20 years so that isn’t new. Even this same head combo. Really the new piece is the 9000 pedal. Will play with some of these ideas and move forward from there. Love the power and precision of this pedal just trying to dial down the bouncing. Thanks
I neglected the 9000, or 9002 in my case, in my previous post focusing on technique and the reso port. The other thing I did to fix the beater bounce after getting back into playing with my new 20" bass drum was to dig out my old Swivo-Matics to compare settings/feel. I was surprised to find how loose the spring tension was on the old Rogers pedals. It took me a while to emulate the tension, stroke and overall feel but eventually between the adjustments to the 9002 and my technique my right foot can do things at 71 that I couldn't do in my 30s.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a great idea noreastbob. I had not thought about putting the two pedals together and trying to adjust the DW to feel similar to the Sonor.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe I found the source of my frustration. I forgot that the DW pedal has a beater weight on the shaft of it. It was about 2/3 up. I moved it down to the base of the beater and no more bounce issues. I was even able to add slightly more batter side tension without gaining any bounce. Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's somewhat surprising to me how often we think of burying the bass drum beater as the default technique. In fact, not burying is not only more efficient, it produces a more musical tone from the bass drum.
I think maybe this became the thing to do when the preferred recorded sound was a dead thud and bass drums started becoming dumping grounds for old blankets and pillows. Burying the beater helped in the effort to kill any unwanted ring.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think maybe this became the thing to do when the preferred recorded sound was a dead thud and bass drums started becoming dumping grounds for old blankets and pillows. Burying the beater helped in the effort to kill any unwanted ring.

Yes, it's about the sound. Nothing else sounds like it. You need both techniques in your toolbox, IMO.

Imagine playing this without sticking the beater into head.

That would be like not playing rim shots on the snare backbeat.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Your leg/foot is weak and can't control the pedal.
Old problem. I dealt with this a long time ago.
Crank up the spring tension on your pedal until its actually a little difficult to play.
Play it like that for a while and soon your leg/foot will acclimate by building extra muscle.
This will give you better control over your pedal and the beater bounce will eventually dissappear.

Elvis
This is good advice. I’m going to try it. Every time I crank the tension up I crank it down in 10 minutes. I should probably try to stick with it for a little while for this reason.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
This is good advice. I’m going to try it. Every time I crank the tension up I crank it down in 10 minutes. I should probably try to stick with it for a little while for this reason.
It's a trick I learned after reading an interview in MD of Larrie Londin, who was a big Nashville drummer in the 70's and 80's.
He learned it from Sonny Payne.
Payne's explanation to him was that he was trying to create more speed because the increased spring tension meant the beater got off the head faster.
I thought it might behoove me, so I tried it and that's when I discovered the increased control I had with the pedal, because in my case, the increased spring tension "glued" the pedal to my foot better, so every little movement of my foot translated to the bass drum.

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
I believe I found the source of my frustration. I forgot that the DW pedal has a beater weight on the shaft of it. It was about 2/3 up. I moved it down to the base of the beater and no more bounce issues. I was even able to add slightly more batter side tension without gaining any bounce. Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.
Hey Craig,
Glad you figured out your problem. I also use the Perfect Balance pedal, but I didn’t like the loose spring tension. I changed out the spring to a high tension DW spring, love it now. Also, I use a 1/2” hole punch, and add about 6 holes on the reso, ala the DW reso heads, love the feel. I have used SK1 batter heads in the past, but seem to have good luck with the one ply EMAD batters. Depending on the room, I will swap out the foam rings, sometimes even removing it all together. I also will use half, or quarter pieces of the rings, with a piece of two face tape at the ends to keep them in place.