Beaters for Roland mesh kick drum

cpro48609

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got a used TD30 kit. I've read that using the felt beater wears the heads much faster than a plastic or rubber one. I have the Speed Cobra double pedals and they only have felt beaters. They don't seem to be reversible. Would this be ok or should I order different beaters for this pedal set?

Thanks.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a Danmar felt beater for 30 years without any problems on Roland mesh heads.

Ian S

Reaction score
I have read and heard stated in video reviews that felt eats away at the mesh on modern Roland bass drums. Maybe it's the newer ones that are more fragile? No clue but folks do warn about it and say to use plastic. Good luck.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used a Danmar felt beater for 30 years without any problems on Roland mesh heads.
Might want to double check that ;). The vdrums have only been around for 23 years, and a mesh kick for only 22 of those

To the OP - it depends on the angle of attack. If your pedal allows the beater to hit mostly flat, you can be okay. If it’s a steep angle (where only a line / point of the beater head is making contact), the friction can melt / wear away the head.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
The question that just won't die (well, certainly with Roland users)!

Usual answer - always use a kick patch on any kick drum (acoustic / electronic / rubber or mesh). Then it doesn't matter at all what beater you use - wood, resin, plastic, skull of a dead cat, or felt etc. And you can use the beater that feels best to you.

So - get a patch and relax :)

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might want to double check that ;). The vdrums have only been around for 23 years, and a mesh kick for only 22 of those
Hard to remember it’s been quite a while. Started with Roland DDR30 in the mid 80’s but those were wooden surfaces. I guess TD10 was the first with the mesh pads.

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kick patch +1... and there are wooden beaters out there (have had one for years, indestructible), plus all kinds of hard plastic options. Felt beaters on mesh heads, especially without a kick patch can be problematic and damage the head.

chollyred2020

Reaction score
At a church where I used to play, they had the mesh kick drum pad. I'd heard that the fibers from the felt get tangled in the mech and cause it to wear faster. I put a moleskin patch on the mesh head and never noticed any wear. A cheap fix and easily replaceable or removeable if necessary.