Beato Pro 1

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, no. Their tight fit is problematic for me. I prefer Ahead bags. Sure the Beato 1's are heftier, code for more protective, but I always struggle to get my drums in them if they have mounts. Since I always cart my own gear, the Aheads just work with plenty of room.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like them because they are somewhat stiff like a hardshell case so you can just drop the drum in it. I use my floor tom case as a table for my little headphone amp, wallet, keys etc.
They used to be tight fitting, but I always got them one size larger...so a 13" for a 12" tom, a 16" for a 14" tom, etc. Recently ordered one from Fred and mentioned that I always get one size larger, and he advised not to do that as he said he was making them a little larger, so the correct size worked easily.
Best to order them by phone directly rather than use the internet. He usually gives a little discount. Someone should explain to him, though, that he should use fedex or ups instead of usps to save on shipping.
Someone has some nice onse for sale at a good price in the for sale section herer.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, no. Their tight fit is problematic for me. I prefer Ahead bags. Sure the Beato 1's are heftier, code for more protective, but I always struggle to get my drums in them if they have mounts. Since I always cart my own gear, the Aheads just work with plenty of room.
Protection Racket now makes an egg-shaped case for toms with RIMS style mounts that works great. I got one for a Ludwig CM 8x12 TT that I always had a tough time getting into the Ludwig case I got back in 2008. The Ludwig case is now being used on my Gretsch RB w/o RIMS and fits great. Meanwhile, the PR regular cases can be a bit tight, but I sure prefer them to others I've had; the Ludwig cases I got a decade ago were okay, but not great. Protection Racket bags have a fleece lining and fairly stiff sides. Great product. Never had Beato, but I have no reason to switch from PT. Everytime I buy a new drum, I get a PT case to go along with it. On another note, for the larger drums (FTs and BDs) I always put the case over the drum while the drum is sitting on the floor rather than trying to drop the drum into the case.

protection-racket-5014-10-14x10-egg-shaped-standard-tom-case.jpg

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like them because they are somewhat stiff like a hardshell case so you can just drop the drum in it. I use my floor tom case as a table for my little headphone amp, wallet, keys etc.
They used to be tight fitting, but I always got them one size larger...so a 13" for a 12" tom, a 16" for a 14" tom, etc. Recently ordered one from Fred and mentioned that I always get one size larger, and he advised not to do that as he said he was making them a little larger, so the correct size worked easily.
Best to order them by phone directly rather than use the internet. He usually gives a little discount. Someone should explain to him, though, that he should use fedex or ups instead of usps to save on shipping.
Someone has some nice onse for sale at a good price in the for sale section herer.
Good to know about calling direct. Thanks.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'm pretty sure I won't have any mounting on my rack and just the regular Ludwig FT legs mounts. Those should fit fine right?

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a mix of Beato Pro 1s and PRs. I do like the PRs, but the Pro 1s are a different level. Also +1 vote on calling Fred directly, thats what I did. Tell him what drums you have and the mounting set-up (or he'll likely ask) and he'll set you up with the appropriate sized bag. I have no issues with my mounted toms that have RIMs. The extra stiffness in these compared to the PRs and other softer bags makes a big difference to me when packing up late at night tired.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes! I can even get my 22" Premier Signia kick drum (with it's obnoxious spur holders that attach to the lugs) into a standard 22" Beato Pro 1 bag.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you call Fred when ordering and I form him what type of rom mount you have he will make the drum bag larger to compensate .
I love Beato bags and one of the big reasons for loving them is the fact that you can drop the drum into them rather than having to place the bag over the drum . Fred will alao make a combo bags that will hold more than one drum and his cymbal bags are outstanding too .

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I use both but with the Florida rains, my most used kits leave the house in Beato bags. Another plus is dropping the bass drum in on the first try

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've told this story before here but years ago my 24x14 Beato Pro 1 case was stored in my friend's basement and his stupid cat peed on it. I figured it was ruined because of the cat pee smell and all so I left it out on my deck in the PNW winter rain for a week or so as a last ditch effort to save it. The interior stayed bone dry and the smell went away enough to use it again. I still use that case all the time. Amazing.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah pro 1 is outstanding. Extreme protection from a bag and it’s waterproof to boot. Fred has been super helpful to me on the phone when ordering.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually only own one Beato Pro 1 which came to me with a drum set many years ago. It's labeled as a 14x16 but fits a 16x16 well and I've gotten a lot of use out of it. Usually when I buy bags I go for a balance between price and function. The most common winners for me have been Protection Racket (I prefer the round ones, not the egg-shaped ones) and HB Drum Seeker bags. I have one Ahead bag and it's loose and floppy, same with the Ludwig Atlas snare bag I have.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I have Beato Pro 1 bass, floor tom, and cymbal bags (my small tom and snares go in hard cases). One night I dropped my cymbal bag in a huge rain puddle trying to load my car after a gig. No worries, the cymbals stayed dry. Love 'em.