beauty ( to me ) ride cymbal ...

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody hazard a guess to its identity ? I'm hearing rivets too . Same cymbal throughout ? More intriguingly , three drummers credited - Roger Hawkins ,Kenny Buttrey ,George Soule ... together ?

Headphones recommended .

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Probably way off, but I’m gonna say a 20” 60s A played about a third of the way from the edge to the bell.
I'm with you if it was Hawkins . He used the same two Zildjians on all those Swamper hits , even took them on the road with Traffic . Buttrey recorded N. Young's Harvest with Sonors and if he acquired them new, maybe there's a remote chance the retailer also dealt Paiste , maybe the 602 line . Buttrey was an east coast ,Nashville drummer . Closer to Germany than LA .

These albums released within months of each other .

Again , this is conjecture on my part . I 'm going to " Words " on Harvest .Its pretty well the only ride cymbal song on that album and look for similarities .

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
" Benny.. benny.. benny... What are you looking at cymbals for..."
........"it's almost (but not quite) as sad as the... near 75 year old Guy... that just posted a How To Tune a snare video......."

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an "A Mini Cup" ridden in the middle 20"
maybe an 18" Mini Cup

That's the bell we're hearing. So the Bell is in the stick, A lot.
And it's pinched like a Mini Cup.

What else ya got.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
```````````

could even be a flat

Maybe it's a Paiste flat.
ah, now that's gonna cost more money...
nevermind.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Oh boy ,ya got me thinkin... whoever placed the mics on this session had a significant appreciation of this cymbal . Minicup ? Mini cups that I've owned didn't have the robust presence of this one . From possibility to probability is a threshold yet to be crossed here , however, according to google , Zildjian's first mini cups appeared in 1971 , just about the time of these recordings . Maybe a promotional element ? The plot thickens .

The three vids you've posted are spot on , J . You might be right .

Last edited:

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I dunno... the Mini Cup sounds nothing like the cymbal in the JJ Cale song to me.

While a plain old A may be most probable, I think a 602 is also a likely candidate:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
ranked 1032nd most useless human task ever - trying to guess cymbal on a recording
i know i thought it would be higher too