BeBop band at a general festival with house drums - how do you handle it?

Jordan Zimmerman

Reaction score
My jazz quartet will be playing in a "jazz and blues" festival which really means a blues festival and we're the "jazz" part. If also means that the promoter is providing the drum set and it will be a standard pop/rock set. Any advice for this situation? Anyone been there before? Should I bring my bass drum and snare and force the sound man to mike it? We're only on 45 minutes and between multiple other acts. I'll bring my cymbals of course.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother bringing any drums (snare etc) Just power thru- you'll have your cymbals and sticks- Power thru.
Play "your' drums mentally on top of what's there (thuddy pinstriped Yamatamapearls ) Hole in bass drum blanket... nevermind was projecting
Try and lift your sticks off the Clay heads...

I may even get a glance at the cymbals and decide to leave mine locked up -tight- in the car)

Last edited:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
if there is a house kit it's probably there to make switching bands around faster. If I were the sound guy and you brough a kit, however small, I would probably tell you to put it back in your car- for 45 minutes I would deal with it. Aren't all the other bands going on between multiple acts? Bring your pedal, cymbals, snare, maybe a snare stand in case the one they have doesn't go low or high enough and maybe your throne. You would probably have time tune them up higher for jazz if thats your preference.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always take my snare and one good ride cymbal when there is a house kit. Try playing brushes on a clear head with tape all over it. Takes minutes to switch.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah Outside I don't think (...) even hauling your cymbals Up there. will matter..
like I say get a glance on first...you may be able to deal with a Brilliant A Custom Medium Ride..
even a Z Custom can have have a good ping and spread, on the right day.. !>.
well If It's a Z Custom maybe bring your cymbals Up. lol you don't want to hurt any band members.. Safety First
If they're Just Platinum Zildjians you'll and the surrounding area, will be ok.. ; 0

Last edited:

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to fight the idea of backlines, but I realized I sound the same regardless of kit, so it's not really worth worrying about it for a 45 minute set. I do bring my snare and cymbals but I don't always use them. I always use my own pedal though.
Same here. I bring cymbals, pedal, snare, sticks and pray a decent set of drums du jour when I get to the venue.

I did a whole tour on full backline, but fortunately, the backline company was able to bring me the exact kit I wanted. I was very impressed to get on stage and see everything I spec'ed out, including removing the green M&Ms.

J

jaymandude

I see Backline every
night. I could tell you not to worry about it, but everyone gets to that point in their own time

Last edited by a moderator:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Have a peek on them earlier and hear them played by other drummers . Have your own snare and cymbals and pedal handy just in case .

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think the biggest hurdle in this situation is the threshold setting on the gate that will almost certainly be on the kick drum channel, not actual backline gear. When it's set for loud environments (the other Pop/Rock bands) anything that is at all feathered will simply not be there. When I sound check my own gear & I see/feel an engineer start adjusting a gate on my kick I back off/fade out & they have no choice but to slack off the threshold setting or simply have no kick. Not "cool", but it works.

I'd at least want my cymbals/snare.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I usually try to bring cymbals and a snare and sticks of course. Its easy to carry and having the snare saves time for retuning anything else. That being said Ive played whatever is there plenty of times and it was fine. Oh and I play jazz usually on the “god knows what stage”.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think the biggest hurdle in this situation is the threshold setting on the gate that will almost certainly be on the kick drum channel, not actual backline gear. When it's set for loud environments (the other Pop/Rock bands) anything that is at all feathered will simply not be there. When I sound check my own gear & I see/feel an engineer start adjusting a gate on my kick I back off/fade out & they have no choice but to slack off the threshold setting or simply have no kick. Not "cool", but it works.

I'd at least want my cymbals/snare.
It doesn't hurt to bring an assortment of beater types, which instead of having a war with the sound guy(s), can reshape the bass drum response. On a good bass drum, the top 2 T bolts just in front of you can sonically put the drum closer where you want it . You can James Bond your way around barriers and inconveniences .

jazzerone

Reaction score
If it's a Blues/Jazz festival, and you guys are the token 'Jazz' part of the deal, none of those blues-eared people are going to know the difference anyway. Play what's there, swing that 2nd rack tom way out of the way, drop the main ride down and pull it in close. If you can smuggle your snare in that's a good idea. I wouldn't sweat it for a 45 minute set.

mebeatee

Reaction score
Should I bring my bass drum and snare and force the sound man to mike it? We're only on 45 minutes and between multiple other acts.
I almost spewed my coffee when reading this......wtf???
I can see it now....the changeover and a good part of your allotted set time will be used up "forcing" the sound and stage crew to redo a drum kit...lol.... Your band mates will not be amused.
You are asking for the worst possible sound ever with this attitude. Or they could accommodate and conveniently forget to put your bd (or you) in the mix....
Realize the situation and timeframe.....you are at a festival with running set time schedules/changeovers and a backline kit......deal with it, relax, learn, and have fun. The usual bring your own cymbals, bd pedal, and snare apply.
bt

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Whenever we have a gig with a backline kit I bring breakables (snare, cymbals sticks) maybe an extra stand and snare stand, pedals HH stand and my throne. Sometimes I need all that sometimes I don't.