header.nohb.html

Been Pete Bested

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
15 years, wow.

As much as I would like to see you thumb your nose and ride off into the sunset that isn't how life works. This is a marriage that suddenly ended badly to no fault of yours. It's going to sting for a long time after all the hype.

Take the time you need to then pick up the pieces and move on.

Don't fear change.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
15 years, wow.

As much as I would like to see you thumb your nose and ride off into the sunset that isn't how life works. This is a marriage that suddenly ended badly to no fault of yours. It's going to sting for a long time after all the hype.

Take the time you need to then pick up the pieces and move on.

Don't fear change.
For a second there I thought you were quoting Gold Dust Woman.

“Pick up the pieces and go home”

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that this happened to you. I understand their situation. But it could have been handled much, much better from their standpoint. Something tells me that your future will be rewarded with something positive. Good luck!...Mike

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that this happened to you. I understand their situation. But it could have been handled much, much better from their standpoint. Something tells me that your future will be rewarded with something positive. Good luck!...Mike

Understood where you’re coming from. This was avoidable, as they could have said to the OP “This is difficult, but we have decided to go a new direction. Hope your mother gets settled soon. Stay in touch, but we’re moving on.” These types of situations can be open-ended, and it could have been a full year or more depending on the waiting list for facilities, etc. My parents are at that stage where they are having a tougher time caring for themselves; when they did so much for us as kids and young adults, we owe them a bit of help.

So many times, avoidance seems to be the easy way out, as it has become the way of the world in breaking up with service professionals and other relationships. In the case of this former band, they now have burnt a bridge, as the new guy may end up having a similar situation and have to seemingly temporarily leave the band. What will they do then? They certainly can’t call the OP. They may not fare as well the next time around. Burning bridges is just not a good way to do things.

Positivity is the best way around, and your answer was more positive than mine.

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is the reality of the music industry far and wide, from bottom to top. If you 'step away' you can only hope someone better, or 'more committed' doesn't fill in for you. I have seen people put in a substitute player, only for the substitute to sound better and/or fit in better, no band wants to go back to a lesser circumstance.
Having said all that, 15 years is a substantial commitment and history with a creative project, and no one I know would have replaced you based on that shared commitment and history.
So I feel for you, but it's the reality of the arts where there are no employment rights and apparently no moral compass.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Understood where you’re coming from. This was avoidable, as they could have said to the OP “This is difficult, but we have decided to go a new direction. Hope your mother gets settled soon. Stay in touch, but we’re moving on.” These types of situations can be open-ended, and it could have been a full year or more depending on the waiting list for facilities, etc. My parents are at that stage where they are having a tougher time caring for themselves; when they did so much for us as kids and young adults, we owe them a bit of help.

So many times, avoidance seems to be the easy way out, as it has become the way of the world in breaking up with service professionals and other relationships. In the case of this former band, they now have burnt a bridge, as the new guy may end up having a similar situation and have to seemingly temporarily leave the band. What will they do then? They certainly can’t call the OP. They may not fare as well the next time around. Burning bridges is just not a good way to do things.

Positivity is the best way around, and your answer was more positive than mine.
Sure, but it was not open ended. I said I needed 2-4 months. It was 4.

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played with one band for 10 years. I was happy for most of them but there were were little things that irked me over that time and after I finally left I look back and see them still cranking out the same song list. Knowing that they still had the same issues with certain players, I was glad it was behind me. No regrets.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely not the best way for the band to handle the situation. You’ll be in a better place not having to deal with “friends” like that.

May they find themselves backing Corey Feldman on a tour of midwest dive bars.