Before there was Bonham.. Before there was Ringo. This was the drummer that many drummers loved.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
...also, not to dump all over everyone's parade, but wasn't this whole "Teen Beat" / "Tequilla" thing with the hooky rhythm just a reaction to Cozy Cole's Topsy Part II ?

Elvis
Cozy's thing was an updated take on Gene Krupa's "Sing, Sing, Sing." Cozy made it hipper with "Topsy." No doubt, he influenced Sandy Nelson.
I wore the grooves out on the 45 rpm "Topsy" part one and two when I was a kid. What I liked the most was the live sound of real drums. I learned about tuning drums from those old recordings. Today, recorded drums sounds are so fake, I wonder how young drummers learn about tuning.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Cozy's thing was an updated take on Gene Krupa's "Sing, Sing, Sing." Cozy made it hipper with "Topsy." No doubt, he influenced Sandy Nelson.
I wore the grooves out on the 45 rpm "Topsy" part one and two when I was a kid. What I liked the most was the live sound of real drums. I learned about tuning drums from those old recordings. Today, recorded drums sounds are so fake, I wonder how young drummers learn about tuning.
They post questions on internet drum forums....too bad they rarely check back in to read the responses. ;)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
In an old interview in Modern Drummer ( have laying it around somewhere) Sandy explained that he hated muffling and played wide open except for an effect had flip on muffling with taped pieces of towel strips.. And, without realizing it, revealed his secret formula for the snare sound. First, he said he liked his snare top head a bit tight, but not choked. Then... the secret for "that sound"... ProMark Japanese Oak sticks.

I went right out and bought a pair of 727's. I found that you can tune higher and get lower tones than normally for such tuning. I loved it! It was a eureka moment for me! I believe it was a large part of what gave Sandy that "Nelson wallop" many of us marveled at.
I wonder what Sandy used for sticks before the advent of Promark's Japanese Oak sticks?

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wonder what Sandy used for sticks before the advent of Promark's Japanese Oak sticks?
I believe the oak sticks go back further than you might think. Promark was founded in 1957, and that's when the Oak sticks came out! Just got an email from Promark and they said its was 1957.

Last edited:

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Can't find it on You Tube, but there's a track on the Sandy Nelson in Las Vegas album where he does the Buddy Rich thing, starting a slow open roll and speeding it up to 100 mph. It's pretty impressive. Don't know if its singles or doubles. I never thought of him with a lot of chops until I heard that.