Beginner Audio Interface and DAW suggestions

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually if you're just beginning to record, you probably won't need more than two outs for a long time. You'd need more if using more than two speakers, mixing to external hardware or doing headphone mixes for multiple musicians playing live. There are a few other reasons you'd need more but those are easily the most common.
I hit that limitation trying to get backing tracks working with a click going to a third channel for in ear monitors. Thought I'd be able to get away with Audacity, but fortunately I had a bundled Ableton Live Lite license free to install on the audio playback computer.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hit that limitation trying to get backing tracks working with a click going to a third channel for in ear monitors. Thought I'd be able to get away with Audacity, but fortunately I had a bundled Ableton Live Lite license free to install on the audio playback computer.
I'm not that familiar with Audacity but doesn't it allow submixing? If not, it's a very basic DAW and barely worth using to record except as an introduction.

Going back to the topic, if I was just beginning and had a Mac, I'd use Garageband. It can do almost everything most people would need. Erika Badu recorded an entire album on it.

Last edited:

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Having a dedicated building for rehearsal, practice and recording would be a dream come true for many here. I ran a recording studio for 10 years and had several rehearsal rooms over the years that I also recorded in.

Without knowing how much you know about acoustics, I'd go ahead and recommend that you achieve the most basic fundamental in your approach to building the cabin. Make sure it's big enough, and probably bigger than you might bet thinking. Way too many people build a space meant for recording that's too small and then fight way too hard to get a good recording, and wonder why.

L x W x H, I'd recommend 30 x 22 x 15. I know that's a big building, but having enough space for the sound to develop and travel is key. There are many, many more considerations when it comes to building a good acoustic space, but having one that's big enough is very important.

I know this might not be practical for any number of reasons, but if you can make it happen you'd be doing yourself a big favor. You can go smaller for sure, I'm just recommending an ideal that might be within the range of someone building a new space.

The room you record in will have a huge effect on the results you get.
The building will be 20x20 log with pretty steep pitched open roof and 8ft walls. There will be a small sleeping loft opposite the drums. The drums will be in a corner. Basically one half of the structure will be for music and the other will have a small living area type setup. This is as big as I can go and it's already under construction.
I'm not the familiar with Audacity but doesn't it allow submixing? If not, it's a very basic DAW and barely worth using to record except as an introduction.

Going back to the topic, if I was just beginning and had a Mac, I'd use Garageband. It can do almost everything most people would need. Erika Badu recorded an entire album on it.
I have an iPad with Garageband but Im more if a Pc guy and have a powerful laptop. You still think I should use GB on the iPad?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not the familiar with Audacity but doesn't it allow submixing? If not, it's a very basic DAW and barely worth using to record except as an introduction.
It does, but the issue was that we wanted tracks played in stereo live which takes the two output channels Audacity is capable of using. That meant the click on a separate track wouldn't be able to be sent to the board for the in-ear mix. So that's kind of off topic since that's playback and not recording, but sometimes playback is a big deal too.

I love Garageband too on the Mac, and man, for just $200 you can upgrade to Logic Pro X. Recording and editing drums in Logic Pro X is a dream.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The building will be 20x20 log with pretty steep pitched open roof and 8ft walls. There will be a small sleeping loft opposite the drums. The drums will be in a corner. Basically one half of the structure will be for music and the other will have a small living area type setup. This is as big as I can go and it's already under construction.

I have an iPad with Garageband but Im more if a Pc guy and have a powerful laptop. You still think I should use GB on the iPad?
Check out Reaper. The PC guys (I guess Mac too) seem to really love it, and it's really inexpensive. It's like Logic in that there's a YouTube tutorial for everything you'd want to do in it. Huge user community.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Leaning towards this pack if I buy new. Drum mics, cables and interface for $850 hopefully less 10% veteran. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...gen-3-and-shure-dmk5752-drum-recording-bundle
Thats a pretty good setup. Those SM-57's are a bit tinny to my ear, but they can be used on a lot of things and will definitely find a use if you expand your mic setup in the future. I did the Saffire Pro 40 w/ Audix DP-Quad mics, stands and cables for ~$1k a few years back. Got some really great deals on eBay for the mics and interface.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Audacity isn't a DAW -- it's just an audio editor. It allows multi-track, but that's really not its core purpose. It's really meant for editing single tracks (mono or stereo) of audio.

It was actually developed by the piano player in my college big band :D

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

The building you have underway is more than big enough for quality recording. I’d like to see how it turns out when you’re done. I enjoy seeing these kind of projects come to life.

It depends which iPad you have, but you can use GB, although it might not work that easily compared to working with a Mac. Interface options and processor power for mixing will generally be more limited.

With a powerful pc I’d start with the pared down version of Studio One and upgrade it if more features are needed. S1 can do everything you need. You might want to check if it has all the capabilities you want and anything you don’t understand, ask here or check out gearspace.com.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Audacity isn't a DAW -- it's just an audio editor. It allows multi-track, but that's really not its core purpose. It's really meant for editing single tracks (mono or stereo) of audio.

It was actually developed by the piano player in my college big band :D
Did he make any money off of it? It’s free and widely used. On the one hand it was altruistic of him to make it free, but he could’ve cashed in if he didn’t.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out Reaper. The PC guys (I guess Mac too) seem to really love it, and it's really inexpensive. It's like Logic in that there's a YouTube tutorial for everything you'd want to do in it. Huge user community.
Reaper is excellent, but it’s like landing on Mars for the uninitiated DAW user. The learning curve isn’t easy given how deep it can get (or even at its default settings), although it can be made to operate more simply. I recommend it to anyone who doesn’t mind getting technical or deep with their DAW because it’s worth it.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did he make any money off of it? It’s free and widely used. On the one hand it was altruistic of him to make it free, but he could’ve cashed in if he didn’t.
no, it’s always been (and will remain) free and open source. The fact that it’s free is the reason so many people use it, IMO.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
The building you have underway is more than big enough for quality recording. I’d like to see how it turns out when you’re done. I enjoy seeing these kind of projects come to life.

It depends which iPad you have, but you can use GB, although it might not work that easily compared to working with a Mac. Interface options and processor power for mixing will generally be more limited.

With a powerful pc I’d start with the pared down version of Studio One and upgrade it if more features are needed. S1 can do everything you need. You might want to check if it has all the capabilities you want and anything you don’t understand, ask here or check out gearspace.com.
OK awesome. My guitar teacher is a gigging musician and she records with presonus software so that's a plus too. Here's a pic of milling the first log!

Attachments

Rmgreg

Reaction score

6th Generation IPad work?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the world of tech, creating a successful open source project like Audacity gives you massive credibility and respect. He's no doubt benefitted from that in ways that he couldn't if the software had been sold directly to the public.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Anyone taken any online (or any other) music recording classes?

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a Roland set with midi out, but no matter what I do I can only get one or two pads to play on the daw.
why or how do you get the entire Roland to play over the midi?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
6th Generation IPad work?
I don't know enough about which iPads can handle mutli-track recording to give a qualified answer, but I know there are some that can. It would be a good idea to look at interface and adaptor options for iPad and see which work together. I'd call somewhere like sweetwater and ask for anyone who can act as a recording tech for your questions.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
I don't know enough about which iPads can handle mutli-track recording to give a qualified answer, but I know there are some that can. It would be a good idea to look at interface and adaptor options for iPad and see which work together. I'd call somewhere like sweetwater and ask for anyone who can act as a recording tech for your questions.
I think I will focus on pc based DAW like Studio One since I have no plans to fully convert. The ipad is just basically a big Phone for me that easily works on a music stand for drumeo lessons or youtube etc

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Amateur question regarding mic'ing acoustic drums. For sure I will have 2 overhead condenser mics a kick and snare mic. If I decide to mic the toms is it an all or nothing thing? Meaning, I have 4 rack toms and a floor tom so would I have to have 5 tom mics or non? Can a tom mic go between 2 toms? I'm asking because as a former "quad player" I tend to gravitate towards tom licks and I'm wondering how best to capture.