Beginner's Qs: Have a kit, now what... (Recommended YouTube channels, avoiding injury)

Reaction score

Sort of white residue stuff, with a few green specks. Not sure if it's mould as it looks a bit like something dripped there. Just had a go at the hoop marks with a dry paper towel but it's too stubborn for that. Any ideas appreciated. Don't want to rub the wood with something and end up damaging it.

Last edited:

Loud

Reaction score

Sort of white residue stuff, with a few green specks. Not sure if it's mould as it looks a bit like something dripped there. Just had a go at the hoop marks with a dry paper towel but it's too stubborn for that. Any ideas appreciated. Don't want to rub the wood with something and end up damaging it.
I would experiment on the metal hoop hooks first to see if the white substance dissolves in water or not. If so, slightly damp cloths could work. If it doesn’t dissolve in water, more thinking is needed.

Is this on “finished” wood and not bare raw wood? If so, get a barely damp microfiber towel and a dry one. Use the moist one to wipe away grime and immediately dry off.

Reaction score
Thank you. I think it might have just been paint from the guy's garage. Seems ok so might just leave it. Got it all set up and tuned now. Feels good. Tuning is still pretty mind-boggling, especially getting them all to sound good together as a set, but enjoying learning about it and having a go.

langmick

Reaction score
A few thoughts:

- don't carry tension in your index fingers, that will get you. The tight drum corps snare playing is not necessarily applicable for getting around the drumset. Don't fight your body. Watch how Tony Williams, Dave Weckl and Steve Gadd don't grip the stick with tension, the stick moves around with a fulcrum towards the back of the hand. This has the added benefit of making the drums sound better. Takes some time to get it.
- pg 1 of Stick Control, work with that daily and "sing" the metronome, tap it with your BD foot, count in 4s and 8s.
- play along to some ACDC and Steely Dan, learn how to place the snare drum on and around the beat. Listen to where the bass drum and bass align and lock in. It's important to know how a bass player thinks. Play Deacon Blues over and over.
- learn to sing melodies, get into the other parts of a piece of music. Important if you want to play with others...if you want to wank, that's a different head-space altogether.

Reaction score
Haha yeah I've no plans to go solo freak-out Animal style. Thanks for the specific tips though, super helpful! I picked up some of the books others have recommended too.