Beginners Ukulele

homeby5

DFO Star
Reaction score
So teach me something....How is Uke playing compared to guitar? Is the tunings/chord structures much different. You all have my interests peaked :)

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
homeby5 said:
So teach me something....How is Uke playing compared to guitar? Is the tunings/chord structures much different. You all have my interests peaked :)
Soprano, concert and tenor ukes are tuned like four highest strings on a guitar, if you had a capo on the 5th fret of the guitar.

Commonly, though, the fourth string, which you'd expect to be the lowest in pitch, is tuned an octave above that pitch (re-entrant tuning).

Capture.JPG

Baritone ukulele is tuned same as four highest strings on a guitar.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
or, a lot of guitar payers go with a baritone. They're tuned DGBE, so you play guitar chords minus two strings........ I like the sound, watching for a decent price on a nice vintage one......

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Mine is tuned, from low to high. G C E A .....I see that that is the same as Joe says. I didn't realize that. Homby, it's supposed to be relatively easy if you play guitar. Play the D major open chord and it's a G on the uke. First string, 3rd fret gives you a C major chord, inverted.

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hope it goes without saying that ukuleles are used with nylon strings exclusively. They cannot handle the tension of steel strings, you'll have trouble tuning it and you'll likely ruin the instrument

(There is a Brazilian instrument called the cavaquinho, which is basically a steel-string ukulele.)

Aquila, long-time Italian maker of classical guitar strings, appears to be dominating the high-end ukulele string market these days. I use both their 'nylgut' strings, and the new 'Aquila Red' series. (Then again, I know folks who use fishing line !)

Enjoy another clip by Taimane & her 5-string tenor (combing both high-G and low-G tuning). A little surf-uke for Easter Day. Aloha.

Last edited by a moderator:

homeby5

DFO Star
Reaction score
Let me ask a really dumb question. If I capo my guitar will it sound close to a uke? Good enough for songs that call for one? Just thinking out loud because I'm not near a store to try one out to compare. I'm not sure if I can justify spending more money for another stringed instrument :)

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
homeby5 said:
Let me ask a really dumb question. If I capo my guitar will it sound close to a uke? Good enough for songs that call for one? Just thinking out loud because I'm not near a store to try one out to compare. I'm not sure if I can justify spending more money for another stringed instrument :)
i suppose a nylon-string guitar w/ a hardwood top and capo on 5th fret, if strummed like a ukulele, could at least the suggest the sound of one

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I always think about McCartney saying that after dinner, at George's house, the ukuleles would always come out. Then Paul played "Something" on one that he got from George.
Why not look for a good used one, like recommended in this thread on Craigslist? Spend $50.00 maybe after negotiations? Ace

homeby5

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw Paul play that in concert about 7 or 8 years ago. PM me and tell me about some more about your uke and give me some playing pointers. I may take your advice and start looking on CL for one :) I'm also jonesing for some political chit chat :lol:

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I can't eat cereal anymore. Acid reflux hit me. So I am working on the intro to "Brown Eyed Girl" on the uke, at 1 in the morning. Did I just give anyone else indigestion? Ace

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. How did I miss this thread …
The wife plays a uke.
I just picked up a sweet one for her a few months ago.
Neat topic.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
My wife starts teaching beginner uke at the local library in town for the next 8 Saturdays. A bass player and I play with a local uke orchestra; as many as 15 or more at a time. Poke around and see if there’s a local club like these folks